Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Wikiposts

What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Hairball is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Hi, All

I have searched up and down for the answer to this, so please forgive me if I've missed it.

Myself and my US girlfriend live in London, but in about 12-18 months we'd like to head off to the USA and I'd like to have a green card to do so. We'd like to get married in the USA and the intention is to go there, get hitched, come back and apply for my visa from the UK.

So my questions are:

- Do I need to inform immigration of my plan? or should I keep tight-lipped and go in on a VWP. I do intend to leave after the nuptuals

- Are there any special licences or permissions that I, as a foreigner, need to get so we can do this?

- What kind of visa would I have to apply for to live in the US afterwards? I see that CR-1 visa requires my girlfriend to be domiciled in the US during the visa petition. That would not be practical given that we both live and work in London.

- Does anyone know of any links to other similar questions and answers on this forum.

Many thanks, everyone and I hope there are some answers out there as It's all getting a bit overwhelming, and I've not even proposed yet!

Last edited by Hairball; Jan 21st 2009 at 1:46 am.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Originally Posted by Hairball
Hi, All

I have searched up and down for the answer to this, so please forgive me if I've missed it.

Myself and my US girlfriend live in London, but in about 12-18 months we'd like to head off to the USA and I'd like to have a green card to do so. We'd like to get married in the USA and the intention is to go there, get hitched, come back and apply for my visa from the UK.

So my questions are:

- Do I need to inform immigration of my plan? or should I keep tight-lipped and go in on a VWP. I do intend to leave after the nuptuals

- Are there any special licences or permissions that I, as a foreigner, need to get so we can do this?

- What kind of visa would I have to apply for to live in the US afterwards? I see that CR-1 visa requires my girlfriend to be domiciled in the US during the visa petition. That would not be practical given that we both live and work in London.

- Does anyone know of any links to other similar questions and answers on this forum.

Many thanks, everyone and I hope there are some answers out there as It's all getting a bit overwhelming, and I've not even proposed yet!
What State do you want to marry in ..
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hairball, welcome to BE!

Myself and my US girlfriend live in London, but in about 12-18 months we'd like to head off to the USA and I'd like to have a green card to do so.
You actually won't have the green card to do so, but you can have an Immigrant Visa to do so, which allows you to become a US Permanent Resident (PR) upon entry to the USA using that visa.

We'd like to get married in the USA and the intention is to go there, get hitched, come back and apply for my visa from the UK.
Perfect.

Do I need to inform immigration of my plan? or should I keep tight-lipped and go in on a VWP. I do intend to leave after the nuptuals
No need to inform immigration of anything, but also answer questions honestly at the POE if asked. It is perfectly legal to use the VWP to marry in the USA, providing you intend to return to the UK for Immigrant Visa processing.

Are there any special licences or permissions that I, as a foreigner, need to get so we can do this?
Check online with the state where you intend to get married to see what their marriage license requirements are for both you and the USC. Marriage requirements vary from state to state. But as far as the visa goes, the VWP is fine.

What kind of visa would I have to apply for to live in the US afterwards?
Immigrant Visa. (if marriage is less than 2 years old when the visa is granted, it will be class CR-1...otherwise IR-1).

I see that CR-1 visa requires my girlfriend to be domiciled in the US during the visa petition. That would not be practical given that we both live and work in London.
Not quite. She just has to prove intent to be domiciled in the USA. Do a search on the forum for others who have overcome this small obstacle.

Does anyone know of any links to other similar questions and answers on this forum.
Check the wiki for information on the CR-1 visa. Also, if you are planning to do Direct Consular Filing (DCF, meaning filing the I-130 directly in London), do a search for posts by meauxna and read the links in her signature.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Myself and my US girlfriend live in London, but in about 12-18 months we'd like to head off to the USA...
Just so you know, DCF cases only take around 5 months or so to process (at least at the moment). Once the Immigrant Visa is issued, you have 6 months to use the visa. So if you're not planning to move over to the USA until 18 months from now, don't get the visa too early. With DCF, you might not want to file the I-130 to London until around 8 to 10 months before you actually want to make the final move.

However, if for some reason London doesn't allow you to do DCF (they have the right to say no), the whole process will take about 8 to 10 months when the I-130 is filed in the USA. The USC does not have to be in the USA to file it there.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses, Everyone. Very helpful.

I'm slowly getting my head around it.

The state we would marry in would almost certainly be Maine.

Cheers
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Myself and my US girlfriend live in London...
You don't actually say so (and no one has yet asked for clarification), but is your girlfriend a US citizen? If not, your visa to the US is going to take many years!

Ian
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
What State do you want to marry in ..
Hi,

The state would be Maine

Cheers
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You don't actually say so (and no one has yet asked for clarification), but is your girlfriend a US citizen? If not, your visa to the US is going to take many years!

Ian
Hi,

She is a US Citizen. She's lived in the UK for 4 years and is coming to the end of her work-sponsored visa.

This means that we might be faced with the complicated situation of needing to apply for her visa to stay in the Uk, and mine to move to the states. I don't even know if that's possible!

Cheers
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She is a US Citizen.
Great... easy peasy then!

Ian
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:42 am

Hi,

She is a US Citizen. She's lived in the UK for 4 years and is coming to the end of her work-sponsored visa.

This means that we might be faced with the complicated situation of needing to apply for her visa to stay in the Uk, and mine to move to the states. I don't even know if that's possible!

Cheers
When will her visa expire? London might not look favorably on accepting an I-130 from someone who is on their way out soon. Especially since you won't actually want to file the I-130 for another several months (unless you can move back to the USA sooner than 12 - 18 months).

Actually, since you have such a long stretch until you WANT to move to the USA....she can just go ahead and file the I-130 to the appropriate place in the USA and NOT do DCF. Since you're not planning to move for such a long time, you're not in a rush to get the visa via the DCF route, right? That also solves her expiring UK visa, since the I-130 will be accepted in the USA no matter what her visa status is in the UK.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:59 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The state would be Maine

Cheers
I dont think you can use a Notary there as a non resident
and ensure you get an Apostille for the marriage cert...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When will her visa expire? London might not look favorably on accepting an I-130 from someone who is on their way out soon. Especially since you won't actually want to file the I-130 for another several months (unless you can move back to the USA sooner than 12 - 18 months).
London does not care about when she is leaving, just wanted to comment on that. My impression is that "DCF" is allowed to serve people in just that situation.. the USC needs to return 'soon' and this shorter version of the process is to assist in making that easier. (<--- none of that is documented fact, just my researched guess).
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
London does not care about when she is leaving, just wanted to comment on that. My impression is that "DCF" is allowed to serve people in just that situation.. the USC needs to return 'soon' and this shorter version of the process is to assist in making that easier. (<--- none of that is documented fact, just my researched guess).
OK, I see. I was thinking if she's leaving the UK soon, it makes it appear her stay there is more temporary, and DCF would be looking for something more permanent...but I see your point, thanks.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses, Everyone. Very helpful.

I'm slowly getting my head around it.

The state we would marry in would almost certainly be Maine.

Cheers
If she's been in the UK that long, surely wouldn't be long before she could apply for UK citizenship? That would be worth getting before leaving.

As for Maine- http://www.maine.gov/portal/family/marriage.html

That's what you need to get a marriage license.

On the plus side, there's no longer a waiting period when you can get married from when you apply for the marriage license these days...and as neither are resident of Maine, you can apply at any town hall...it's also gone up a wee bit in the last few years, about $20.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I dont think you can use a Notary there as a non resident
and ensure you get an Apostille for the marriage cert...
You can use a notary, the notary just has to be resident of the state, same with using a judge etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.