Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

what do you guys do while you wait?

Wikiposts

what do you guys do while you wait?

Old Nov 4th 2004, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

gem03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what do you guys do while you wait?

this may be a silly question, but i have a feeling that my green card will be coming in a few months, if my boyfriend comes to the usa and we marry, I know that there will be a wait. LONG WAIT. So what do people do? Study? get someone to sponsor them? My boyfriend runs his own small construction bus. so can he get a E1 or E2 - sorry not sure which is which.
Please help and give us some ideas and what to do. Is it best to marry and wait it out in the UK - we just moved back from Toronto, we were both on work visas there. We are so unsure of what to do I,m 33 amd he is 40 and he said that he does not have all the time in the world. I do not want us to be apart as we have been together for 13 years. PLEASE HELP
Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you guys do while you wait?

Originally Posted by gem
Is it best to marry and wait it out in the UK - we just moved back from Toronto, we were both on work visas there.
Forgive me if I'm just a bit confused, but it sounds as though you're in the UK so I'm wondering how you can get a green card which is based on your being resident in the US. Maybe I'm just not understanding correctly.

As for what to do, I went back to school and got a masters degree.

Ian
Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gem
this may be a silly question, but i have a feeling that my green card will be coming in a few months, if my boyfriend comes to the usa and we marry, I know that there will be a wait. LONG WAIT. So what do people do? Study? get someone to sponsor them? My boyfriend runs his own small construction bus. so can he get a E1 or E2 - sorry not sure which is which.
Please help and give us some ideas and what to do. Is it best to marry and wait it out in the UK - we just moved back from Toronto, we were both on work visas there. We are so unsure of what to do I,m 33 amd he is 40 and he said that he does not have all the time in the world. I do not want us to be apart as we have been together for 13 years. PLEASE HELP
I'm confused too. Who is the USC? Where are you living right now? What visa is the alien applying for? You've been living together for 13 years where? In Canada? And now you're where? In the UK? Maybe neither of you is a USC, and you are getting a green card and applying for your UK boyfriend based on that? How are you getting a green card from from the USA when you have been living in Canada? So many questions to answer before we have a clear idea what's happening with you.

Anyway, to answer your question...my fiance and I waited 14 months apart until he got his K1 visa to come to the USA. During that time, I went about my daily life here in the USA with work, family, and friends. He went about his daily life in Turkey with his work, family, and friends. I studied about immigration and all the steps involved. He went about gathering all the documents he would need. We talked daily on the phone and made plans for our future. At the time, fourteen months seemed like forever, but looking back it seems like it passed by pretty fast. He's been in the USA now for 6 months and it seems like it's passing even faster!

Best Wishes,
ene
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm confused too. Who is the USC? Where are you living right now? What visa is the alien applying for? You've been living together for 13 years where? In Canada? And now you're where? In the UK? Maybe neither of you is a USC, and you are getting a green card and applying for your UK boyfriend based on that? How are you getting a green card from from the USA when you have been living in Canada? So many questions to answer before we have a clear idea what's happening with you.

Anyway, to answer your question...my fiance and I waited 14 months apart until he got his K1 visa to come to the USA. During that time, I went about my daily life here in the USA with work, family, and friends. He went about his daily life in Turkey with his work, family, and friends. I studied about immigration and all the steps involved. He went about gathering all the documents he would need. We talked daily on the phone and made plans for our future. At the time, fourteen months seemed like forever, but looking back it seems like it passed by pretty fast. He's been in the USA now for 6 months and it seems like it's passing even faster!

Best Wishes,
ene
sorry for the confusion. My Dad is an usc for the past 20 or so years. Myself and boyfriend are uk cits, and my Dad applied for a 1130 for unmarried child over 21, over 3 years ago. It has just been approved at the vsc. My boyfriend and I have just come back to the UK from Canada, we were both there on work visa for a few yrs.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:39 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gem
sorry for the confusion. My Dad is an usc for the past 20 or so years. Myself and boyfriend are uk cits, and my Dad applied for a 1130 for unmarried child over 21, over 3 years ago. It has just been approved at the vsc. My boyfriend and I have just come back to the UK from Canada, we were both there on work visa for a few yrs.
Oh... you do have a bit of a situation then. Because you are not a USC, then the wait is a lot longer (years) for him to get a visa to come here, and maybe someone knows can a PR petition for a k-1 or k-3, or does it have to be an I-130 for a spouse?

Are you sure that you dont just want to stay in the UK with him? Or maybe he could get a work visa (H1-b) to come here and marry you, a PR.... maybe that might work to minimize time apart. Hmmmm. I will be interested to see what the 'experts' have to say.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

SundarV is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Oh... you do have a bit of a situation then. Because you are not a USC, then the wait is a lot longer (years) for him to get a visa to come here, and maybe someone knows can a PR petition for a k-1 or k-3, or does it have to be an I-130 for a spouse?

Are you sure that you dont just want to stay in the UK with him? Or maybe he could get a work visa (H1-b) to come here and marry you, a PR.... maybe that might work to minimize time apart. Hmmmm. I will be interested to see what the 'experts' have to say.

Good Luck!

Nope. PR can't petition for K1 or K3. They have to apply for I-130. Unlike spouse of USC, they can not apply for AOS/EAD/AP. They have to wait until I-130 get approved. Of course they get adjusted when the visa quota becomes current. The whole thing would take 3-7 years depending on place of application.

My advise would be for BF to come to US on a H1-B visa, which has dual intent. F1 visa is a possibility if he wants to go to school. Things get gray there for student visa you need to show non-immigrant intent.

I think you have an interesting one in hand. There is no one clear answer. Each option has its pluses and minuses.

Sorry could not be of more help

Sundar
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Taterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gem
I am a little confused as well as to how you are getting your green card. As far as what I did while waiting for my green card, I went back to school and got my Associate Nursing Degree. There is a lot more waiting to do with my I-751, so I am going to work and kill more time getting my Bachelors Degree in Nursing.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Hmmmm. I will be interested to see what the 'experts' have to say.
Me too. i know that 'when' they marry will impact whether or not the husband can follow to join, but I don't know what impact it might have on her visa application status if she changes from unmarried daughter to married.

Also, just because her petition was approved does not mean that there won't be a multi-year wait for a visa number to become available.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Me too. i know that 'when' they marry will impact whether or not the husband can follow to join, but I don't know what impact it might have on her visa application status if she changes from unmarried daughter to married.

Also, just because her petition was approved does not mean that there won't be a multi-year wait for a visa number to become available.

after approval of 1130 how long does it take before I can get gc? I have been told 6 - 12 mths, is that right?