Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What do you do after you get married on a K1?

Wikiposts

What do you do after you get married on a K1?

Old May 25th 2004, 1:32 am
Michael D. Young

Default Re: What do you do after you get married on a K1?

J Moreno wrote:

> ian-mstm <member2954@british_expats.com> wrote:
    > > That said, some states will let you get a SS# to fulfill other
    > > requirements - drivers license, etc., but it may be stamped "not
    > > valid for employment without USCIS authorization" (or something
    > > similar).
    > SS# are completely independent of the the states...it's federal.
    > <http://www.ssa.gov/>
    > <http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...td_adp.php?p_s
    > id=Vd2mncch&p_lva=&p_faqid=1125&p_created=10294228 21&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF
    > 9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTUmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT0zOSZw X2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_Jn
    > BfcGFnZT0x&p_li=>
    > <http://tinyurl.com/3hhq4> (for the short version)

This URL works for all SSA FAQs

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...p.php?p_faqid=

just add the FAQ number at the end

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=1125

Old May 25th 2004, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Epitomee2000
Please check your passport thoroughly. My husband was unsure that he received a temp ead stamp in his passport until we went through it together. JFK was his POE in Sept..
Sararh, as Epitomee stated, the temp EAD is easy to miss in your passport. My husband came in on his K1 in mid-April and recieved a temp stamp without even asking for it. It is stamped in red (?)ink on the bottom of the front of the I-94. I think that is where they have to put it. Take a look there and see if you have it.

Since you already have an SSN, there are no worries - as others said, once you have one, it's yours for life. You will most likely have to get it updated with your married name though, which might require you to have the 1 yr EAD (in your married name). I would just hurry up and file for AOS and the I-765 in the hopes of getting of the EAD as soon as possible.

Good luck!
Jamie
Old May 25th 2004, 4:04 pm
J.B. Moreno

ian-mstm <member2954@british_expats.com> wrote:

> Originally posted by J Moreno
    > > ian-mstm <member2954@british_expats.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > That said, some states will let you get a SS# to fulfill other
-snip-
    > > SS# are completely independent of the the states...it's federal.
    > Thanks for the law lesson. My point, which you apparently missed, was
    > that if you need a drivers license and live in a state that requires a
    > SS# as a prerequisite, then you may be able to go to the SSA and apply
    > for one - as a prerequisite for your license. I applied for and received
    > a SS# completely independent of my immigration status. BTW, no one else
    > seemed confused by what I wrote. Next time, you might want to take a
    > deep breath before you post.

I gave what I consider and considered a helpful response. It's not a
deep breath I need to take before posting...

--
J.B. Moreno

Old May 25th 2004, 10:37 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ian-mstm
Thanks for the law lesson. My point, which you apparently missed, was that if you need a drivers license and live in a state that requires a SS# as a prerequisite, then you may be able to go to the SSA and apply for one - as a prerequisite for your license. I applied for and received a SS# completely independent of my immigration status. BTW, no one else seemed confused by what I wrote. Next time, you might want to take a deep breath before you post.

Ian
I've just now read your comments to the OP, and I, too, find it to be poor advice.

By saying "... [S]ome states will let you get a SS# to fulfill other requirements," you're implying that state governments issue SSNs. They do not.

The SSA couldn't care less if you'd like to get a drivers license. Yes, state DMVs require SSNs as an eligibility requirement for a drivers license. But as far as the SSA is concerned, your SSN is to serve the purpose of taxing you for Social Security, and subsequently dispensing those SS benefits.

While you might have received your SSN "independent of your immigration status," you obviously met the SSA's requirements or else they would not have issued you one. The OP's current immigration status clearly does NOT make her eligible for obtaining a SSN. So I would hate for the OP to take your advice and trot down to the SSA today to ask for a SSN just because she wants a drivers license.

It's unfortunate that you got so offended just because someone was merely trying to clarify the misimpression you were giving.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:44 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone for the advice and help and for even bothering to write in and help me at all.

Just for the record I DID have the EAD stamp in my passport underneath the I-94 white piece of card that they staple in your passport, I then went down to the social security office with my old SS card (which I got two years ago when I was over here on a J1 visa working for the summer - when I first met Jeff)
I filled out a form and now 7 days later my new SS card has arrived in the post. I honestly think the fact that Jeff and I live out in the sticks and went to the little SS office out here made things easier and simpler than say, if we lived in New York or Chicago.
Again many thanks and I'm sure I'll be asking for your help again soon whn I finally get round to sending off the AOS stuff!
Sarah xx