Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What do we need to initiate I-29F petition?

What do we need to initiate I-29F petition?

Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What do we need to initiate I-29F petition?

I have found the very helpful K1 visa page on this site, but I just wanted to double check with you guys before we get started on what we will need in order to be able to submit the petition.

1) Is there anything that I as the foreign fiancée need to send my US fiancé for him to make the application?

2) What does he need to have in the US in order to submit the application?

Thank you

Last edited by Lilo; Sep 7th 2016 at 7:49 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do we need to initiate I-29F petition?

One thing that most often is overlooked is the long form birth certificate showing the names and addresses of the parents at the time of birth. I know that many countries issue a short form and this is not the one to be used. You might have to order it if you don't already have it.

Proof of having seen each other in person within the last two years. Can be a passport page showing enter into your country or into the US. Perhaps a photo or two of the two of you together.

Most everything else is needed for the interview at the US Consulate/Embassy.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Rete. Do we both need long form birth certs? Or just the US citizen?

And if he needs mine, should I send it to him by mail, or scan a copy?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilo
Oh, also this is at the Embassy based in New York if that makes a difference.
I didn't think the US had an embassy in New York.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Where is it that New Yorkers should submit their petitions to?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Only the US petitioners proof of citizenship is required. This can be proven using a birth certificate. The foreign fiance(e)'s BC is not required at this stage.

As for filing, this should be the Dallas lockbox as per the I-129F instructions.

The foreign fiance(e) needs to supply a signed G-325A and a letter affirming the intent to marry.

Please make sure you read the instructions thoroughly. There is also this handy checklist https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/m-1151.pdf
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

1) Is there anything that I as the foreign fiancée need to send my US fiancé for him to make the application?
Yes - a copy of your long form birth certificate, a completed G-325A with original signature, and a note indicating that you will marry within 90 days of your entry to the US.

2) What does he need to have in the US in order to submit the application?
He'll need a signed and dated I-129F petition, the fee, proof that he is a US citizen, a G-325A with original signature, a note indicating that you will marry within 90 days of your entry to the US, and proof that the two of you have met face-to-face at least once in the last 2 years.

The address is listed here.

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.

Is it okay if I send digital copies of all of the required documents for him to print out for them, or do they need originals in some cases?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - a copy of your long form birth certificate, a completed G-325A with original signature, and a note indicating that you will marry within 90 days of your entry to the US.
I'm not sure where you are getting the requirement for the foreign beneficiary's birth certificate at this stage? My USC petitioner never supplied it as part of the I-129F petition.

Thanks guys.

Is it okay if I send digital copies of all of the required documents for him to print out for them, or do they need originals in some cases?
I've heard of RFEs (a request for evidence response) for G-325A or the intent letter not being original (with a "wet" signature). Therefore I suggest mailing your US petitioner the information.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, so just to clarify, we need:

Me (Brit):
- Original signed copy of G-325A
- Original signed copy of letter of intent
- Passport photo taken to US specifications

Fiancé (US):
- Fee
- Long form birth certificate (original, or will copy do?)
- Original I-129F form
- Original G-325a form
- Photos and travel documents (evidence of having met)

Am I missing anything?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1) yes.

2) everything you need to know is in the I-129F instructions found at www.uscis.gov, including what to send with the petition, where to send it, etc.

Don't forget to keep a photocopy of everything that is sent to USCIS.

Forms and the Statement of Intent need to be originals, with original signature. Backup evidence should be photocopies/prints from scan.

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Me (Brit):

Fiancé (US):
- Fee
- Original I-129F form
- Original G-325a form

Am I missing anything?
"Original signed copy" is confusing. Just say "original".

The USC's birth certificate is just to prove US Citizenship. A copy of their US passport would do the same.

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, thanks Rene, some useful tips on this page: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Rene, okay at this point he doesn't have his full form birth certificate, should we bother trying to get a copy or should we just use his passport through the whole process?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Me (Brit):

Fiancé (US):
- Fee
- Original I-129F form
- Original G-325a form

Am I missing anything?
Put a G-1145 in the front. That way your fiance may get email/SMS updates about the petition. The service can be a little fragile.

Either of you being married previously? Either changed name previously?

I assume you didn't meet through a marriage broker?

A copy of the USC birth certficate (back and front) is fine. Even if the back is empty, photo copy it and put it in. You won't get this back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.