Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What to do if SSN has not arrived?

Wikiposts

What to do if SSN has not arrived?

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:44 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do if SSN has not arrived?

We've been here 3.5 weeks and DH's SSN hasn't arrived yet. We did request one on the forms, and confirmed that with the immigration officer at the port of entry.

We're planning to go to the Social Security office on Monday to follow up about it. Aside from the passport/visa, what else should we bring with us, if anything?
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do if SSN has not arrived?

Originally Posted by avanutria
We've been here 3.5 weeks and DH's SSN hasn't arrived yet. We did request one on the forms, and confirmed that with the immigration officer at the port of entry.

We're planning to go to the Social Security office on Monday to follow up about it. Aside from the passport/visa, what else should we bring with us, if anything?
Form SS-5 and whatever evidence it requires.
Ask the SSA worker to look up his record in the computer first, to make sure that card production isn't already underway. Otherwise, he may wind up with two SS#s.

Have you had a Welcome Letter from USCIS yet? Or any letters?
I suspect that any delay was due to the holidays.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:59 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Form SS-5 and whatever evidence it requires.
Ask the SSA worker to look up his record in the computer first, to make sure that card production isn't already underway. Otherwise, he may wind up with two SS#s.

Have you had a Welcome Letter from USCIS yet? Or any letters?
I suspect that any delay was due to the holidays.
We've had a welcome letter, with an A number on it, or at least a number which began with A. There were 9 digits after the A and I wondered if that was suppsoed to be the SSN, but it didn't say anything about that.

Should we wait longer, do you think? Or will the SS officer be able to see things in the works?
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There were 9 digits after the A and I wondered if that was suppsoed to be the SSN...
No... that's your A# - your Alien number. Your SSN is also 9 digits, but that's entirely coincidental.

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a welcome letter, with an A number on it, or at least a number which began with A. There were 9 digits after the A and I wondered if that was suppsoed to be the SSN, but it didn't say anything about that.

Should we wait longer, do you think? Or will the SS officer be able to see things in the works?
Getting the welcome letter means that the immigrant package was turned in and processed correctly after he arrived and gave it to the officer. The green card is on its way.
It doesn't guarantee immediate results with the SSN, but odds are in your favor. It depends how much of a hassle it is for you.. we walked in and out of our SSA office every time we needed to but others report a long trip there, or a long wait etc.. it's up to you. The process so far is working the way it's supposed to, just depends how impatient or bored you are.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:56 pm

Well, he doesn't want to apply for jobs until he has it, so we're kind of impatient. Will the SS office be able to tell us the number right there, even if we don't have the card yet?

If so, it's right in town and we've nothing better to do, so we might as well!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:59 pm

The SSN is *nothing* to do with applying for jobs.

The SSA office may be able to tell him the number (in person only) if the order is going through, so yeah, considering your circs (we were sort of the same way.. nothing better to do at the time).. go have an adventure!

I think it was my first time ever in an SSA office. Wait, I'm up to 2 now!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:02 pm

It'll be my third time, or fourth if you include the window at the US Embassy. Once to get a replacement card when I was about 19 and once to try to change my name after I got married, but they wouldn't do it.

Originally Posted by meauxna
The SSN is *nothing* to do with applying for jobs.
I know, and I keep asking him not to give it out on the forms even if they ask for it, but he doesn't want to run the risk of being unnecessarily rejected (for retail stuff like Target, food stores etc) in the bad employment environment and if I pester him anymore about it I'll be a nag.

So cool, sounds like Monday is a trip to the office!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:08 pm

D'oh.. forgot to welcome you guys home!
Did you like the snow this week? That came out of nowhere!

If he's going to look retail, you've got some great natural food stores down there; a little more humane. Of course you know the hospital is like, THE employer.
Fred's is not a bad gig at all.. if he goes for it, the best wages are in Food (butcher if qualified) but the best job is probably in CCK (cashier). Union wages, baby.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:51 am

Thanks, I'll give him those tips!

The snow didn't reach Eugene but we had a few interesting mornings where all of the sidewalks were ice rinks. The drivers are so much more considerate of bad weather here compared to what I grew up with in western NY!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:54 am

lol, probably because they never know what to do about it.. it was Snowpocalypse up here... people could have literally walked home faster than they got in their cars.
Happily, we were tucked up with a house full of groceries & nowhere to go.

Was wondering.. would you & the H have a look at this thread & the wiki entry please? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647089
I don't want to miss any good current info you've got.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:23 pm

Sure thing; have had the thread open all day, actually, but haven't had a chance to give it a proper going over yet
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:48 am

Well we got a second letter from Home Security today, but it was identical to the one dated Dec 17th, except this one was dated Dec 30th - just a welcome letter. So we went to the SS office. There was no record of a number being requested for DH at all, so they had him fill out a new request. He can go back tomorrow to find out what the number will be, and the card will come in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately he won't be able to take his driving test until his has the actual card.