Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

what to do in the 3months of bordom?

Wikiposts

what to do in the 3months of bordom?

Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: what to do in the 3months of bordom?

if it's gonna be around 3 miles you should look into getting a push bike. i've been getting up early some of the days and dropping my wife off at work but that's not always an option.....we also got 2 cook books as wedding gifts so i've been trying to cook something new every day...i've found myself playing my ps3, taking the dog out a lot and going the gym, if you wanna meet people and do voluntary work then maybe chuch would be a good place to start. i talked to someone about doing voluntary work for the city but he told me that they are funny about it because of insurance issues.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
True, but sometimes the hiring process can take so long, that you've got your EAD by the time they actually want to have you sign any hiring documents.
Rene
While that is certainly true of most professionals, someone without an education who is going into blue collar work most probably will not encounter the same time delay.

Do you have an letters of recommendations from your former employers' back in the UK? This would help greatly when you are interviewing.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
While that is certainly true of most professionals, someone without an education who is going into blue collar work most probably will not encounter the same time delay.

Do you have an letters of recommendations from your former employers' back in the UK? This would help greatly when you are interviewing.
i can get one, i worked at a company of around 50 people so we wer all pretty close and i got on with my bosses really well. i'm not to worried about finding a job, i've been looking at local jobs online and there seems to be enough out there, i don't really mind what i'm doing for the next couple of years as long as i'm not sat at home doing nothing. the only thing i may have to do first is my GED but that shouldn't take to much studying.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The GED test is quite rudimentary and I would venture that you would pass it quite easily.

Get the recommendation from your former employer. Helps to show that you have worked in the past, the length of time on the job and how well you got on in the company. Might just be the nudge that lands you the job. In today's poor economy even blue collar workers are having a difficult time since there are so many applicants.

BTW ... if it makes you feel any better, my DH came here on the K-1 visa and couldn't find a job for 8 months after landing and he had the EAD from the border agent.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

8 months! that's mental! where they willing to do any job? my wife has said in the past that it's good that i'm not trained in something and i'm only looking to do one sort of job....she has just said i can't work in fast food lol. i've done office work in the past and sales, but to be honest i like manual work...even tho it's not normally as well paid.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:20 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Long-term unemployment is at record levels - in general around 7-1/2 months, more for some age/education categories.
http://calculatedriskimages.blogspot...nemployed.html

Are there any places near you where day laborers congregate, that you might join them? (Or has the state of the economy wiped that out ...)

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Ja5on
8 months! that's mental! where they willing to do any job? my wife has said in the past that it's good that i'm not trained in something and i'm only looking to do one sort of job....she has just said i can't work in fast food lol. i've done office work in the past and sales, but to be honest i like manual work...even tho it's not normally as well paid.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to break it to you, but my DH was unemployed for 18 months after receiving his EAD in April 2008. DH was a fabulous housewife, even did windows. I only wished I could afford to keep him at home full-time!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
Sorry to break it to you, but my DH was unemployed for 18 months after receiving his EAD in April 2008. DH was a fabulous housewife, even did windows. I only wished I could afford to keep him at home full-time!
my wife could afford to keep me at home but i don't wanna sit around everyday, it's driving me insane! are these people that have taken so long to find work been looking for one type of thing? or been unwilling to take certain jobs? i don't mean any offense to anyone but i really don't think it will take me that long to find a job, hopefully i'll prove myself in a few months when i get my EAD!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i don't mean any offense to anyone but i really don't think it will take me that long to find a job
I've no idea what you do (and can't be bothered to read your past posts to find out), but it took me 4 months to find a part-time job once I entered the US... and I got an EAD the day I entered (yes, the actual physical card); I had both an undergraduate and graduate degree; had 15 years experience in my chosen profession; was familiar with the language and culture; and looked like the locals. Further, this was when the economy was much, much better than it is now. It took me a further 3 months to find a full-time job.

With respect, if you're bored, it's your own fault... because there's plenty that you can be doing.

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I've no idea what you do (and can't be bothered to read your past posts to find out), but it took me 4 months to find a part-time job once I entered the US... and I got an EAD the day I entered (yes, the actual physical card); I had both an undergraduate and graduate degree; had 15 years experience in my chosen profession; was familiar with the language and culture; and looked like the locals. Further, this was when the economy was much, much better than it is now. It took me a further 3 months to find a full-time job.

With respect, if you're bored, it's your own fault... because there's plenty that you can be doing.

Ian
yeah but the point i was making was do you think you are above certain jobs? i went straight into work after school and will do what ever comes my way, so i don't have an issue with finding one type of job! i don't think that there is plenty i can be doing for the whole time my wife is at work....i have been keeping myself busy as much as i can but it does get hard "keeping busy" 60+ hours a week while my wife is working!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Your wife works over 60 hours a week? Wow no wonder she can afford to keep you.

As to your question on taking anything you can find, when you are talking about professionals such as my DH and Ian who have had over 30+ years of experience in a chosen field, why would they work at MickyD's? These are men that will find ways to occupy their hands, intellect and bodies without having to resort to working just any job that comes along.

You are young and uneducated and when they were the same, they would have done the same as you.

Explore your new city, county, state while the wife works. Now is the perfect time to visit different areas to get the lay of the land.

Wishing you the best.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Your wife works over 60 hours a week? Wow no wonder she can afford to keep you.

As to your question on taking anything you can find, when you are talking about professionals such as my DH and Ian who have had over 30+ years of experience in a chosen field, why would they work at MickyD's? These are men that will find ways to occupy their hands, intellect and bodies without having to resort to working just any job that comes along.

You are young and uneducated and when they were the same, they would have done the same as you.

Explore your new city, county, state while the wife works. Now is the perfect time to visit different areas to get the lay of the land.

Wishing you the best.
she's just started her first year of residency so it's pretty intense! i understand that people who have worked a long time and are qualified in a certain field will want to do that sort of work, i have no problem with it, i just made the point that it will probably take me a matter of weeks and not months to find myself a job on $10 a hour! as i said before, i didn't mean any offense to anyone by saying that i don't think it'll be to long for me to find a job.....i'm only 24 and hoping to work/study and find something i really enjoy rather than just a dead end job!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

she's just started her first year of residency so it's pretty intense! i understand that people who have worked a long time and are qualified in a certain field will want to do that sort of work, i have no problem with it, i just made the point that it will probably take me a matter of weeks and not months to find myself a job on $10 a hour! as i said before, i didn't mean any offense to anyone by saying that i don't think it'll be to long for me to find a job.....i'm only 24 and hoping to work/study and find something i really enjoy rather than just a dead end job!
Normally I wouldn't bother to comment, but you have a lot to learn, and your comments have urged me to do so.

Unfortunately I cant go out brick carrying etc as due to my height, weight I wouldn't last more than an hour.

My husband can afford me too, but I don't like living that way, however, the circumstances are such that for now I have to, why? Because I cant get a 'proper' job, why? Not because I'm picky or choosey, I am applying for jobs that I am under and over qualified for, but, I worked in a specialized field in the UK, one which unfortunately means nothing here.

From your posts people here have offered advise and help, and that is how you chose to respond.

I would say if your bored go read a book but I doubt you can.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by traceym
Normally I wouldn't bother to comment, but you have a lot to learn, and your comments have urged me to do so.

Unfortunately I cant go out brick carrying etc as due to my height, weight I wouldn't last more than an hour.

My husband can afford me too, but I don't like living that way, however, the circumstances are such that for now I have to, why? Because I cant get a 'proper' job, why? Not because I'm picky or choosey, I am applying for jobs that I am under and over qualified for, but, I worked in a specialized field in the UK, one which unfortunately means nothing here.

From your posts people here have offered advise and help, and that is how you chose to respond.

I would say if your bored go read a book but I doubt you can.
not everyone has been that helpful! i said i understand why people won't do certain jobs and i think that is fine, i was making the point that this won't be as much of an issue for me, maybe you didn't read the whole thread......
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

J5,

I think we all may need to chill out here. I admire your optimistic attitude, it will stand you in good stead and you may well find work quickly once you start looking. Some people do. But a lot of people do not, even when they are quite willing to take work that is 'below them'.

I don't think people are trying to dissuade you, or put you down. They just want you to have realistic expectations so that if you do not find work quickly you will not become even more depressed (or pick your own word if that one does not fit quite right) than you are now.

And if your wife is working 60 hours per week, go ahead and flip some burgers and don't tell her what you're up to. Just don't give yourself away by a change in attitude or behavior!

Best wishes, JEff

i understand that people who have worked a long time and are qualified in a certain field will want to do that sort of work, i have no problem with it, i just made the point that it will probably take me a matter of weeks and not months to find myself a job on $10 a hour! as i said before, i didn't mean any offense to anyone by saying that i don't think it'll be to long for me to find a job.....i'm only 24 and hoping to work/study and find something i really enjoy rather than just a dead end job!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.