Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

what to do in the 3months of bordom?

Wikiposts

what to do in the 3months of bordom?

Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do in the 3months of bordom?

And being ex-military helps too. At least they used to get preference in hiring.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You need to be a Citizen to be a Postie as far as I am aware!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

wow, this is just like going to the job center back home! does anyone wanna send me some free money while i'm looking into all this? lol

on the mcds things....my wife said she won't let me work in fast food.....
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Try telling her that the alternative is RedTube ....

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Ja5on
on the mcds things....my wife said she won't let me work in fast food.....
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You need to be a Citizen to be a Postie as far as I am aware!
PR is OK too (once conditions are removed?!).. no EAD though.

Citizenship
Employees must be a United States citizen, a lawful permanent resident alien (i.e., possession of a “green card”), a citizen of American Samoa or any other territory owing permanent allegiance to the United States. Individuals solely granted asylum status, refugee status or conditional permanent resident status are not eligible for Postal Service employment.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
PR is OK too (once conditions are removed?!).. no EAD though.

Citizenship
Employees must be a United States citizen, a lawful permanent resident alien (i.e., possession of a “green card”), a citizen of American Samoa or any other territory owing permanent allegiance to the United States. Individuals solely granted asylum status, refugee status or conditional permanent resident status are not eligible for Postal Service employment.
It doesnt say anywhere on there they they must be able to put everyone in the streets mail in your box on a twice weekly basis (or is that just where I live!)
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
It doesnt say anywhere on there they they must be able to put everyone in the streets mail in your box on a twice weekly basis (or is that just where I live!)
That's the advanced course.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:16 am
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Count your blessings if it's only 3 months! I'm going on 45...

Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer! Save the documents and pictures, take it with you for interviews…
Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:47 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're busy looking for a job aren't you? Even without an EAD you can look for jobs, interview, and accept employment... everything except sign papers. I know the great fear is that someone won't hold a position open for you... but that doesn't mean you have to put your life on hold until you get an EAD.

I got an EAD the day I entered the US (way back when...) and I was still unemployed for 4 months afterwards. You need to start looking now if you're going to have any success once you have your EAD in hand.

Okay... off soap box.

There must be lots of local activities at the YMCA or library!

Ian
Ian I have a question with you regards this comment and I don't mean to hijack the post, but you can honestly apply for a job while waiting for EAD? If so do you have to tell the employer when applying for the job that you are waiting on immigration authorization, or should you wait for the interview?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dudette
Ian I have a question with you regards this comment and I don't mean to hijack the post, but you can honestly apply for a job while waiting for EAD? If so do you have to tell the employer when applying for the job that you are waiting on immigration authorization, or should you wait for the interview?
Yes, you can apply for jobs. You only have to answer the questions they ask you. If the application doesn't ask about work authorization, you don't have to mention it. If the interviewer doesn't ask about it, you don't have to mention it. The time to mention it will be when they say "OK, sign the offer letter" or "OK sign here to begin employment". Then, if you don't have your EAD yet, you have to decline and let them know you're waiting for your EAD.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:54 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, you can apply for jobs. You only have to answer the questions they ask you. If the application doesn't ask about work authorization, you don't have to mention it. If the interviewer doesn't ask about it, you don't have to mention it. The time to mention it will be when they say "OK, sign the offer letter" or "OK sign here to begin employment". Then, if you don't have your EAD yet, you have to decline and let them know you're waiting for your EAD.

Rene
Sweet thanks Rene, the jobs I am applying for need clearance and they ask that kind of information, better to be honest with these guys up front
Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Rene
if i was the one doing the interview and someone got all the way through to being offered the job then just as they wer gonna sign, they said, "oh sorry i can't take this job yet" then i'd be pissed at them for time wasting! i don't wanna piss off any employers!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

if i was the one doing the interview and someone got all the way through to being offered the job then just as they wer gonna sign, they said, "oh sorry i can't take this job yet" then i'd be pissed at them for time wasting! i don't wanna piss off any employers!
True, but sometimes the hiring process can take so long, that you've got your EAD by the time they actually want to have you sign any hiring documents. I'd also hate to push away a potential employer by saying right up front "I can't work for you yet". Then he's likely to say "well then, be gone with you! I have people lined up here who CAN work for me right now!" Even though it still might be a couple of months until they make a decision.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:15 pm

Many people on the immigration boards tend to answer questions on the basis of the letter of the law.

I tend to answer questions on the basis of practicality, what happens in the real world, and how that fits with the law. So I agree with your point.

But in the real world, one has to 'go with the flow' and make decisions as situations develop. I don't expect that anyone is going to get all the way to a job offer without the subject of the applicant's employability having come up in some way.

Address the issue as feels right to you at the point where it arises or feels appropriate to you, knowing what the law allows and also using your 'people skills' to maintain a good rapport between you and your potential employer.

Regards, JEff

Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Is there a place you can go exercise? Take walks with the puppy? A gym you can join? Look online for some meetups or clubs or groups you can join...book club, hiking club, art club...? You could find a place to volunteer, like at a food bank or library. You could take some classes, either seriously or for fun, look at the local community college, non-credit department, lifelong learning department, or check out your city's parks and recreation department, they must have some kind of summer events/classes going on.

We only experienced this for about the first 3 weeks after my fiance got here. I could only take off a couple of days when he first arrived, then I had to get back to my full time job. Once the jet lag wore off, Sadegh was very bored at home. He ended up watching my entire collection of DVDs and videos, he exercised inside the house every day, he cooked a bit, but by the time I got home at 6 pm, he was itching to get out of the house. He didn't have a drivers license, so he couldn't go exploring on his own.

So even though I was tired, I made the effort to go out with him in the evenings, either we'd go out to eat and explore the shops and stores(he was fascinated by the sheer size of Costco...lol), or we went to a nearby park with a lake in it, and took walks around the lake. I'm not very outdoorsy, so I'd walk around a few times with him and then let him jog on his own until he was tired and had spent his pent-up energy from being cooped up inside all day. We dont' have a good public transportation system here, so that didn't help. On the weekends I made sure we were out of the house a lot...we went hiking, we took road trips around Arizona to go exploring, we took picnic lunches to different parks around Phoenix...anything so he wouldn't be home-bound all the time.

Fortunately, he was self-employed back in Turkey, and soon became self-employed here. He had gotten the temp EAD stamp at JFK on his way in on the K-1 visa, so he had his EAD, just took a few weeks to find work.

Rene
Hi

Just reading the posts here.....and it's great to see that I'm not the only one who has had enough of ironing!!!!! Poor Jim has seen more of his surrounding area since I arrived three weeks ago than he's seen in the whole 8 years he's lived here!!!! Just dying to get out of the apartment when he's here with the car!!!!! I used to walk everywhere at home but here the heat is just too much to cope with to have to walk 2 or 3 miles to the nearest stores. Tried a quick look on Craigslist for platonic friendship but didn't quite fancy the "Dominant Trainer who spanks!!!!" lol - so have also started looking at the Kiwanis, Lions and Rotary clubs.....does the USA not have the good old WI???? By the way, I might like to walk everywhere (if the weather was cundusive) but gym?????? not my cup of tea...lol

Also, I noticed that you said that volunteering is an option. This is something that I have considered but have a question about certain types of volunteering. Something that I have seen and would like is helping out with the Student Exchange programm in Ann Arbor (once I pass my road test and get my licence) BUT they pay a stipend for the duration....would this contravene the rules? If so, I could look at other stuff, it's just that this really piqued my interest.

Would appreciate input from everyone on this before I climb the walls....

Thanks Tina
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:30 am

tina,
Volunteering needs to be genuine volunteering, not just working for no pay. Things like the Humane Society, library, ladies auxilliary etc that are always volunteer are probably fine. The program you describe sounds on the face like it might require work authorization. You could ask the program people.

FYI, the service clubs you listed are longer term commitments.. I know Rotary, for example, can be difficult to get into.

I'm like you.. I like to walk but the gym?! Not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.