Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What to bring to CR-1 consulate interview?

What to bring to CR-1 consulate interview?

Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

paul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nice
Default What to bring to CR-1 consulate interview?

I have my interview at the US consulate (for CR-1 immigration) in London next week and was just wondering what documents/things I'll need to bring.

I've seen recommendations to bring all civil documents (e.g. originals of birth certificate, marriage certificate etc.) but surely the interviewer will have all those as they were submitted for the I-864? Is it still worth bringing everything?

Additionally, is it worth bringing complete copies of all applications, because, again, won't the interviewer have all that?

Finally, I'll be bringing various things to document our relationship and marriage (emails, photos, plane tickets, lease on house we rented together etc). Is there anything else critical to bring?

Assuming all our paperwork is in order, what kind of grounds could they have to refuse us? The reality is we *probably* wouldn't have got married this summer if my wife hadn't needed to return to the US, but we were planning to get married in the next couple of years, just maybe not as soon as we did. Is this a problem?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to bring to CR-1 consulate interview?

Originally Posted by paul2012
I have my interview at the US consulate (for CR-1 immigration) in London next week and was just wondering what documents/things I'll need to bring.
It sounds like your I-130 was filed directly in London, is that the case? In general, bring an original of anything for which a photocopy was submitted. For the evidence of your marriage, bring an original and a photocopy to the interview.

Assuming all our paperwork is in order, what kind of grounds could they have to refuse us?
Criminal past, medical issues (contageous disease), that sort of thing. If there are any other issues, the ConOff won't deny the case, but will give you ample time to provide whatever it is that's missing or unacceptable.

The reality is we *probably* wouldn't have got married this summer if my wife hadn't needed to return to the US, but we were planning to get married in the next couple of years, just maybe not as soon as we did. Is this a problem?
No.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

paul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nice

It sounds like your I-130 was filed directly in London, is that the case? In general, bring an original of anything for which a photocopy was submitted. For the evidence of your marriage, bring an original and a photocopy to the interview.
I-130 was filed in the states, so we submitted originals where appropriate. We then filed I-864 (in the states too, NVC Vermont FTW!) and submitted all original documents (including original tax transcripts). We've not had any additional requests for information, and I suspect provided more than enough/too much at every step.

The US embassy website states,

"Applications processed by the National Visa Center In New Hampshire - If your sent NVC your documents, they will have been forwarded to the Immigrant Visa Unit together with your application. All that you will be required to furnish on the day of the interview is your passport and three color photographs. However, please review the Document Checklist before attending the interview. If any of the documents were not sent to the National Visa Center, you will be required to obtain them and present them on the day of the interview."

But from various messages it seems like they often want proof of relationship too. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else important they simply neglect to tell you about.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul2012
I-130 was filed in the states, so we submitted originals where appropriate. We then filed I-864 (in the states too, NVC Vermont FTW!) and submitted all original documents (including original tax transcripts). We've not had any additional requests for information, and I suspect provided more than enough/too much at every step.
OK, in that case...bring photocopies of any originals you submitted, just in case. Also bring originals of any photocopies that were submitted along the way.

Otherwise, what you have listed sounds good.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

Hi -
I will second the advise to bring photocopies of all submitted evidence. So important. We did CR-1 filled from the US as well and at my husband's interview, the processing lady (first one you see) was ADAMANT they didn't have his divorce decree. He showed her the copy and miraculously she found it

Be prepared, you will be fine!

Best of luck
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Coopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really nice

It's always best to bring something that is not needed, than not to bring something that is needed. Good luck with everything!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all, hopefully have got everything sorted so I guess we'll see come Friday...