Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What are the benefits/factors of marrying in US vs. UK?

Wikiposts

What are the benefits/factors of marrying in US vs. UK?

Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:13 am
Cardiff/Berkeley

Bonaventure is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What are the benefits/factors of marrying in US vs. UK?

He is British, She is an American, we live in Cardiff. I (the american) am working here, and have a work visa related to my job (teaching at the Uni). I have lived in the EU since the June 2002, and Cardiff since January 2004.

We want to marry, but wonder what are the pros and cons of marrying in the US versus in the UK. Although we plan to stay in Cardiff for the immediately, we do think we will head to the States sometime in the next two-three years. For personal reasons, we prefer to marry in the States but do not want to do anything that has unforseen impact (which I know in the world of visas is nigh impossible to avoid).

My research seems only to be related to those who are marrying and needing the visa for spouse immediately.

Would marrying in the US help us with a future move to the US and obtaining necessary residency for him? Does it matter where we marry? Will it be harder for him to be approved if we have been living here for the start of our marriage?

We would appreciate the benefit of those who have tread this path before us!

Thanks,
Allison & Dan
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the benefits/factors of marrying in US vs. UK?

Hi Allison and Dan,

I think the easiest route would be to marry in the UK (now, if you want to), and then about 8 months before you are ready to move to the USA, file for the immigrant visa via DCF in London.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
He is British, She is an American, we live in Cardiff. I (the american) am working here, and have a work visa related to my job (teaching at the Uni). I have lived in the EU since the June 2002, and Cardiff since January 2004.

We want to marry, but wonder what are the pros and cons of marrying in the US versus in the UK. Although we plan to stay in Cardiff for the immediately, we do think we will head to the States sometime in the next two-three years. For personal reasons, we prefer to marry in the States but do not want to do anything that has unforseen impact (which I know in the world of visas is nigh impossible to avoid).

My research seems only to be related to those who are marrying and needing the visa for spouse immediately.

Would marrying in the US help us with a future move to the US and obtaining necessary residency for him? Does it matter where we marry? Will it be harder for him to be approved if we have been living here for the start of our marriage?

We would appreciate the benefit of those who have tread this path before us!

Thanks,
Allison & Dan
Hi:

I am somewhat confused about your question. If you marry in the UK, that might complicate interim visits to the US while you two still reside in the UK.

If you travel to the US with intent to marry in the US and then immediately resuming residence in the UK, that can also create problems on application for admission to US to have the wedding.

I am unable to ascertain which one is your main concern.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:29 am
Eric S.

I agree that the easiest route for the British spouse to move to the US is
to apply for an immigrant visa in the UK (DCF). But it doesn't really
matter where they get married. As long as they are legally married at the
time they apply. You'll need a certified copy of your marriage certificate
when you apply. So make sure to get one when you get married.

You may want to check with the county courthouse in the place in the US
where you're planning to get married. To see if they have any special
requirements for non-residents.

- Eric S.

"Noorah101" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> He is British, She is an American, we live in Cardiff. I (the
    >> american) am working here, and have a work visa related to my job
    >> (teaching at the Uni). I have lived in the EU since the June 2002, and
    >> Cardiff since January 2004.
    >> We want to marry, but wonder what are the pros and cons of marrying in
    >> the US versus in the UK. Although we plan to stay in Cardiff for the
    >> immediately, we do think we will head to the States sometime in the
    >> next two-three years. For personal reasons, we prefer to marry in the
    >> States but do not want to do anything that has unforseen impact (which
    >> I know in the world of visas is nigh impossible to avoid).
    >> My research seems only to be related to those who are marrying and
    >> needing the visa for spouse immediately.
    >> Would marrying in the US help us with a future move to the US and
    >> obtaining necessary residency for him? Does it matter where we marry?
    >> Will it be harder for him to be approved if we have been living here
    >> for the start of our marriage?
    >> We would appreciate the benefit of those who have tread this path
    >> before us!
    >> Thanks,
    >> Allison & Dan
    > Hi Allison and Dan,
    > I think the easiest route would be to marry in the UK (now, if you want
    > to), and then about 8 months before you are ready to move to the USA,
    > file for the immigrant visa via DCF in London.
    > Best Wishes,
    > Rene
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:22 pm
Cardiff/Berkeley

Bonaventure is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, you raise an issue I had not thought of. We expect to stay on in the UK for a year-two years, possibly heading to the States after that. Why would marrying in one place create problems for visits? The US fiance visa seems to carry an expectation that one will remain in the States; but is it a problem not to?
What happens if we marry both places!? Sounds nuts, but due to family and friends, we expect to have celebrations in both places, although we know that the first on will carry the weight.
Our main concern is avoiding having a problem getting Dan's US approval when we move to the US, whilst allowing for the fact that we are staying in the UK (and I have my visa separately).
Thanks for you help.
Allison

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I am somewhat confused about your question. If you marry in the UK, that might complicate interim visits to the US while you two still reside in the UK.

If you travel to the US with intent to marry in the US and then immediately resuming residence in the UK, that can also create problems on application for admission to US to have the wedding.

I am unable to ascertain which one is your main concern.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Why would marrying in one place create problems for visits?
It's not the marrying per se, it's showing up together in the US... him, a foreign national and you, a USC. Why should the officer believe that you both intend to return to the UK? How do you demonstrate a genuine intent to return? In the officer's mind, he is coming to the US with the intent to stay in the US with his USC wife and the "visit" is only a cover story.

What happens if we marry both places!?
I believe this is illegal in both the US and the UK.

Our main concern is avoiding having a problem getting Dan's US approval when we move to the US...
Then, as others have suggested, marry in the UK and file the papers when you've decided it's time to leave.

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:45 am
Eric S.

I really don't see why it should be a problem to marry in the US and the
return to the UK. People from other countries do it all the time. It's one
thing that keeps Las Vegas in business.

Yes, you'll have to convince the Immigration officer at point of entry that
you're only here for a visit and that you'll be returning at the end of the
visit. Just make sure to bring evidence of your residence in the UK. And
you should be fine.

- Eric S.

"ian-mstm" <member2954@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> Hmm, you raise an issue I had not thought of. We expect to stay on in
    >> the UK for a year-two years, possibly heading to the States after
    >> that. Why would marrying in one place create problems for visits? The
    >> US fiance visa seems to carry an expectation that one will remain in
    >> the States; but is it a problem not to?
    >> What happens if we marry both places!? Sounds nuts, but due to family
    >> and friends, we expect to have celebrations in both places, although
    >> we know that the first on will carry the weight.
    >> Our main concern is avoiding having a problem getting Dan's US
    >> approval when we move to the US, whilst allowing for the fact that we
    >> are staying in the UK (and I have my visa separately).
    >> Thanks for you help.
    >> Allison
    > It's not the marrying per se, it's showing up together in the US... him,
    > a foreign national and you, a USC. Why should the officer believe that
    > you both intend to return to the UK? How do you demonstrate a genuine
    > intent to return? In the officer's mind, he is coming to the US with the
    > intent to stay in the US with his USC wife and the "visit" is only a
    > cover story.
    > I believe this is illegal in both the US and the UK.
    > Then, as others have suggested, marry in the UK and file the papers when
    > you've decided it's time to leave.
    > Ian
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:57 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe this is illegal in both the US and the UK.
It certainly isn't illegal under UK law. I married the same person twice, once abroad and then again later in the UK, and indeed we hold two different marriage certificates.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, you raise an issue I had not thought of. We expect to stay on in the UK for a year-two years, possibly heading to the States after that. Why would marrying in one place create problems for visits? The US fiance visa seems to carry an expectation that one will remain in the States; but is it a problem not to?
What happens if we marry both places!? Sounds nuts, but due to family and friends, we expect to have celebrations in both places, although we know that the first on will carry the weight.
Our main concern is avoiding having a problem getting Dan's US approval when we move to the US, whilst allowing for the fact that we are staying in the UK (and I have my visa separately).
Thanks for you help.
Allison
Hi:

If you get married to the same spouse twice with no intervening dissolution -- then the first marriage ceremony is effective and the second is a "superfluity." We've had cases where there has been a doubt as to the legal validity of a marriage ceremony and we have had the couple enter into a second marriage ceremony to remove all doubt.

[Current case -- Hubby had Dominican divorce follwed by California Marriage followed by Wife #1 obtaining California Dissolution. When CIS expressed doubt as to the legality of the marriage, it was easier to simply have a second marriage ceremony].

In light of the fact that the United States recognizes a valid British marriage when both spouses are present at the ceremony, I fail to see what your concern is.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:00 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Allison,

Mr.F usually does raise issues that people typically haven't thought of - it's one of the things that makes his participation here so valuable.

The potential problem with marrying in the UK and then wishing to enter the USA is a bit different from the potential problem of wishing to enter the USA to marry a USC while here. There is a common element, which is that marriage to a USC can make it more difficult for a non-USC to demonstrate that they are not an immigrant.

Regards, EJff

Allison
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
If you get married to the same spouse twice with no intervening dissolution -- then the first marriage ceremony is effective and the second is a "superfluity."
Geez... between your answer and FatBrit's, well... I really have learned something today! Color me surprised!

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:44 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Geez... between your answer and FatBrit's, well... I really have learned something today! Color me surprised!

Ian
That is a problem with forums. People advise, with the best of intention, on subjects they know little or nothing about. If the posters are lucky then someone more knowledgable comes along and corrects the error. If not it stands and at worst it becomes part of established knowledge and passed on.

Something we should all learn from.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I agree! This is one reason why I almost never make an absolute statement about something. See... even in this one I say "almost never" so as to allow some wriggle room. Only the Sith deal in absolutes!

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:50 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
That is a problem with forums. People advise, with the best of intention, on subjects they know little or nothing about. If the posters are lucky then someone more knowledgable comes along and corrects the error. If not it stands and at worst it becomes part of established knowledge and passed on.

But that's a problem throughout life, really, isn't it? Most quickly learn on this path through life that just because they overheard in a pub who the winner would be in the 2:30 at Doncaster, it wouldn't be a good idea to remortgage the house to make a bet on it. Now if your best mate lives well by betting on the gee gees and they give you a tip, you're perhaps a little more likely to flutter.

And if you don't learn how to assess and grade the quality of the information you receive, you will most probably join that glorious pile of life's losers.

On this particular board, I don't think there's anybody I would take as gospel, learned professionals included. But there are certainly those who are more credible than others. It is the researcher's task to filter this information and use it to their own benefit.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:18 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But that's a problem throughout life, really, isn't it? Most quickly learn on this path through life that just because they overheard in a pub who the winner would be in the 2:30 at Doncaster, it wouldn't be a good idea to remortgage the house to make a bet on it. Now if your best mate lives well by betting on the gee gees and they give you a tip, you're perhaps a little more likely to flutter.

And if you don't learn how to assess and grade the quality of the information you receive, you will most probably join that glorious pile of life's losers.

On this particular board, I don't think there's anybody I would take as gospel, learned professionals included. But there are certainly those who are more credible than others. It is the researcher's task to filter this information and use it to their own benefit.
In your analogy you have so much more to go on when making your decision, for example, you know the person you are dealing with. When people join these boards they just have the posters own opinion of themselves to use to judge their repsonses. And how accurate is that? How do you assess the grade and quality of information you receive here?

Look at ian, he's on here 24/7 he posts crap all the time, until someone comes along and corrects him (no offence ian mate). You and I know that because we post here all the time, but a newbie wanting some accurate information posts, reads his response, and if it doesn't get corrected they're badly advised.

Like today for instance, telling someone he thought what they were doing was illegal. Why not shut up when you don't know the answer and leave it to someone who does? Makes no sense, no sense at all.

People look a post counts and can wrongly assume that person knows what they are talking about. Maybe a disclaimer? Something like...."I really don't know my head from my arse on this one but in the spirit of keeping my post count up and appearing to be knowledgeable on all things I'll spout my opinion based on nothing more than which way my wind blew when I woke up this morning. Hope that helps....."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.