Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What is an affidavit of support?

Wikiposts

What is an affidavit of support?

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is an affidavit of support?

Originally Posted by stripeydots
Thank you so much for your help.

Now I am wondering my son and his wife to be will probably not be able to afford health insurance for a while. So if my daughter in law to be needs to apply for Medicade would she be accepted? If she is would I have to pay back any medical bills she incured? or would she not be accepted for Medicade at all and I would just flat out have to pay for her medical bills? She would be a permanent resident.
Normally medicaid is limited to children, parents of children, the disabled or blind, and adults over 65. That changes in the health care reform bill starting in 2104 where it will cover all adults that are income eligible.

For green card holders, they are normally not eligible for medicaid until they become a US citizen or have been a legal permanent resident for 5 years. It appears that remains the same when health care reform goes into effect in 2014 but green card holders with less than 5 year residency will be eligible for the health care subsidies.

If she does get medicaid, you will likely be liable to repay the government because of your sponsorship.

http://www.cms.gov/medicaideligibili...ueligible_.asp
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sd,

From
http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/inde...&contentID=912
You too can Google, it's easy, give it a try.

Can an immigrant whose sponsor signed an enforceable Affidavit of Support get public benefits?

An immigrant whose sponsor signed an affidavit of support can get some public benefits. Not all benefits are considered when USCIS decides if an immigrant is going to become a public charge. USCIS focuses on whether the immigrant will need cash benefits for income or long-term health care at the government's expense to determine if an immigrant will become a public charge.

Benefits that are not considered for public charge purposes are:

* Medicaid and some health insurance and health services (including immunizations, treatment of communicable diseases, and use of health clinics)
* Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Nutrition programs
* Housing assistance
* Child care services
* Energy assistance, such as Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
* Emergency disaster relief
* Foster care and adoption assistance
* Educational assistance
* Job training programs
* Communuty-based programs (such as soup kitchens, shelters, and crisis counseling and intervention)

Please note that not all categories of immigrants can get all of these types of benefits. Also, immigrants who have been in the United States for less than 5 years are generally not eligible for food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Regards, JEff

Now I am wondering my son and his wife to be will probably not be able to afford health insurance for a while. So if my daughter in law to be needs to apply for Medicade would she be accepted? If she is would I have to pay back any medical bills she incured? or would she not be accepted for Medicade at all and I would just flat out have to pay for her medical bills? She would be a permanent resident.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:01 am
Just Joined

stripeydots is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, from what that say's she would not be accepted for Medicade as she would have not been in the US for 5 years.

I looked up Medicade for the State of AR and it said this

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the State of Arkansas, a US national, citizen or permanent resident in need of health care/insurance assistance, whose financial situation would be characterized as low income or very low income.

http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefi...ge_quicksearch

So it doesn't say anything about her having to have been a permanent resident for 5 years though?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you and your son and future daughter-in-law. Not having healthcare insurance in the US is skyrocketing and it begs me to ask how young is your son and his fiancee. What are their chances of finding employment that offers some type of healthcare insurance, even if it is fully paid for by insured? My daughter and son-in-law have this type of insurance through their employer. The kids pay the full cost but because it is a company plan with a certain number of employees enrolled the cost is cheaper than private insurance although it still costs a pretty penny.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your concerns. Well they are both in their 20's and I am having to be the affidavit of support for my future daughter in Law as my son is a student and he is on my husband and I's medical Insurance. He will still be a student once they get married so what my future daughter in law is going to do for insurance for the first few months I have no idea? She won't qualify for Meicade as she has to have been a permanent resident for 5 years, so if something happened and she needed medical treatment for whatever reason that would be a great start to their marriage to end up with a bill and debt for potentially thousands in the first few months of their marriage.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... so if something happened and she needed medical treatment for whatever reason that would be a great start to their marriage to end up with a bill and debt for potentially thousands in the first few months of their marriage.
You might want to read up on the Hill-Burton Act.

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You might want to read up on the Hill-Burton Act.

Ian
I read up on that. Very interesting.
I just wonder what my daughter in law is going to do for health insurance for the first few months before she can work etc? Very scary!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

....my son is a student and he is on my husband and I's medical Insurance. He will still be a student once they get married so what my future daughter in law is going to do for insurance for the first few months I have no idea? ...

what will your son do for insurance too?

Most get kicked off the family plan when they get married...something in the small print to double check there.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
what will your son do for insurance too?

Most get kicked off the family plan when they get married...something in the small print to double check there.
Yes thats true we noticed that, so both would be? I have no idea what they will do?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for explaining. BTW do not take offense but it is medicaid and if she does have a serious illness chances are still will qualify for it. Also if the State of Arkansas has a healthcare program for immigrants or the uninsured, once she is a permanent resident she should qualify. If she qualifications, lets hope that she will be able to find employment that offers a healthcare plan. Or perhaps they might want to delay getting married until your son has finished his education and is employed? Just a thought.

Thanks for your concerns. Well they are both in their 20's and I am having to be the affidavit of support for my future daughter in Law as my son is a student and he is on my husband and I's medical Insurance. He will still be a student once they get married so what my future daughter in law is going to do for insurance for the first few months I have no idea? She won't qualify for Meicade as she has to have been a permanent resident for 5 years, so if something happened and she needed medical treatment for whatever reason that would be a great start to their marriage to end up with a bill and debt for potentially thousands in the first few months of their marriage.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I read up on that. Very interesting.
I just wonder what my daughter in law is going to do for health insurance for the first few months before she can work etc? Very scary!
I think you should make sure that the UK fiance knows about this; it tends to make people double-think their plans. It's not going to be like it is for her at home, and a lot of people have trouble getting their heads around it.

Looking of the small print of the Arkansas medicaid page, I'm not so sure she would be covered, even for something serious (other than breast cancer). Looks like they do cover reproductive health (and there is Planned Parenthood, where I live anyway).
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

Now we are talking about what medical insurance she can get from the time she gets into the USA on her k-1 visa to the time she has ajusted her status and is a permanent resident and has a job that provides medical insurance.

What do you all recomened for that. I have been looking online and it seems there are different companys who have picked up on this little loop hole period if you like for the Fiance and are offering short term insurance etc.

Does anyone know anything about this or can recomend a reputable company?

Would be most grateful for any feedback.

Thanks again
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Now we are talking about what medical insurance she can get from the time she gets into the USA on her k-1 visa to the time she has ajusted her status and is a permanent resident and has a job that provides medical insurance.
I don't know any insurance companies to recommend, but just wanted to let you know she will be work authorized before she becomes a PR. That way, she can still get a job with medical benefits even before she's a PR.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Would be most grateful for any feedback.

Thanks again
One of our sons has used this company for short-term medical insurance:

https://www.worldtrips.com/quotes/st.../FAQ.aspx#faq1

They were recommended to us by a reputable source, but he never had to claim so I have no idea how efficient they would be if the need arose.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.einsurance.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.