Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

We've Moved and Now We're Heading Back

Wikiposts

We've Moved and Now We're Heading Back

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've Moved and Now We're Heading Back

Not important but this piqued my curiosity

"My parents won't due to my step fathers top secret security clearance and my brother doesn't believe in marriage so he'd rather avoid it."
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Not important but this piqued my curiosity

"... brother doesn't believe in marriage so he'd rather avoid it."
More common than you think. I have a relation who has a long term girlfriend and told everyone that he isn't getting married until gay marriage is accepted everywhere. With the sudden rash of decisions in the US he may be in trouble, though Uganda and Arizona may be sticking points.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

SarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to behold

The security clearance or the brother? The security clearance they tell me is something that can be revoked if he joint sponsors anyone...though I'm not sure how as he'd be fully clean and clear for immigration...

The brother just doesn't, never has. He doesn't think that people should be in a monogamous relationship - as much as I love him, I think it's time I call him out for being a floozy .
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahC922
The security clearance or the brother? The security clearance they tell me is something that can be revoked if he joint sponsors anyone...though I'm not sure how as he'd be fully clean and clear for immigration. .....
I suspect like hotscot, I was intrigued by your earlier assertion too re security clearance being a bar to being joint sponsor of an immigrant. It had never occurred to me that that would/ could be a problem. I would presume that this was not a run-of-the-mill security clearance (there are a remarkably large number of people than have some degree of security clearance), but something pretty heavy in government and/or the military.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect like hotscot, I was intrigued by your earlier assertion too re security clearance being a bar to being joint sponsor of an immigrant. It had never occurred to me that that would/ could be a problem. I would presume that this was not a run-of-the-mill security clearance (there are a remarkably large number of people than have some degree of security clearance), but something pretty heavy in government and/or the military.
A little off-topic, but my sister's husband had one of those high-level security clearances. He had to list all family members on some kind of form, including extended family. He was a nervous wreck when he submitted the form, having listed his brother-in-law (my husband) as an Iranian citizen. My husband had just arrived on the K-1 visa and didn't even have a green card yet, never mind US citizenship. Nothing bad happened, my brother-in-law was given the security clearance, but he didn't really breath a sigh of relief until my husband became a USC.

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

SarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
A little off-topic, but my sister's husband had one of those high-level security clearances. He had to list all family members on some kind of form, including extended family. He was a nervous wreck when he submitted the form, having listed his brother-in-law (my husband) as an Iranian citizen. My husband had just arrived on the K-1 visa and didn't even have a green card yet, never mind US citizenship. Nothing bad happened, my brother-in-law was given the security clearance, but he didn't really breath a sigh of relief until my husband became a USC.

Rene
Yes, I think that's probably the way of it. My mum hasn't taken USC yet but has to this year - it's only been almost 20 years since we went over, I think she's had enough time to make a decision on where she wants to stay . My stepdad will breathe a sigh of relief as well when she's sworn in.