Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

a wee bit O/T-options for non-compliant car in the US

Wikiposts

a wee bit O/T-options for non-compliant car in the US

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 1:35 pm
Mrs Blackross

Default a wee bit O/T-options for non-compliant car in the US

I have a 1988 Taurus wagon that I brought with me when I came as a visitor to the US.
The engine itself runs very well and the body/interior is in great shape, but the
transmission died last fall....being that is isn't worth it to me to get it fixed, I
am now waiting on the compliance letter from Ford so I can donate it to the local
cancer society. If the car does not meet the compliance requirements, will they still
take the donation? I can't think of anywhere else I can take the car, It's not worth
the cost to tow it from MD to Canada to sell, and it's not worth the cost to fix.

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 11:35 pm
Rita

Default Re: a wee bit O/T-options for non-compliant car in the US

"Mrs Blackross" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a 1988 Taurus wagon that I brought with me when I came as a visitor to the
    > US. The engine itself runs very well and the body/interior is in great shape, but
    > the transmission died last fall....being that is isn't worth it to me to get it
    > fixed, I am now waiting on the compliance letter from Ford so I can donate it to
    > the local cancer society. If the car does not meet the compliance requirements,
    > will they still take the donation? I can't think of anywhere else I can take the
    > car, It's not worth the cost to tow it from MD to Canada to sell, and it's not
    > worth the cost to fix.

YOu probably won't have a problem. The passive restraint/air bag issue didn't rear
its ugly head until the manufacture of cars in '91. The compliance depends on the
laws in effective at the time of the manufacture of the car.

Old Apr 4th 2002, 12:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BTW why don't you call one of the car ~graveyards~ and see if they will come and pick old betsy up for you. You are in Maryland, not NY, so it might be different for you there, then us here.
Old Apr 4th 2002, 3:05 am
Steve & Lisa

LOL this made me smile Rita....the old car we had when we married, had the
nickname "Betsy"!!

--
Lisa www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm "Rete"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > BTW why don't you call one of the car ~graveyards~ and see if they will come and
    > pick old betsy up for you.

Old Apr 4th 2002, 3:05 am
Andy Platt

"Steve & Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > LOL this made me smile Rita....the old car we had when we married, had the nickname
    > "Betsy"!!

Taken from the 70s movie?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 4th 2002, 5:35 am
Mrs Blackross

LOL @ "old betsy"! I will call the local junkyard if it comes down to it, I would
just rather donate it to the Cancer Society or Lung Association (my grandfather died
on September 9th 2001 from emphysema) than see a greasy junkman make a few bucks
stripping it for parts.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! now awaiting
plastic GC in the mail...

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > BTW why don't you call one of the car ~graveyards~ and see if they will come and
    > pick old betsy up for you. You are in Maryland, not NY, so it might be different
    > for you there, then us here.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Rete and Jim (Can/Am Alumni '98)
    >
    > The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com The Mysterious Sealed Brown Envelope
    > http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm Update AOS Experiences at:
    > http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html Update POE Experiences at:
    > http://www.k1poelist.com/ Update AOS filing: http://www.kamya.com/aos/ I-130/I-485
    > Helpsite at: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm AOS filing; AOS,
    > I-130 and K-1 Interview Experiences: http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 5th 2002, 7:05 am
Mrtravel

Mrs Blackross wrote:
    >
    > I have a 1988 Taurus wagon that I brought with me when I came as a visitor to the
    > US. The engine itself runs very well and the body/interior is in great shape, but
    > the transmission died last fall....being that is isn't worth it to me to get it
    > fixed, I am now waiting on the compliance letter from Ford so I can donate it to
    > the local cancer society. If the car does not meet the compliance requirements,
    > will they still take the donation? I can't think of anywhere else I can take the
    > car, It's not worth the cost to tow it from MD to Canada to sell, and it's not
    > worth the cost to fix.

If the cost of repair exceeds the value of the car after the repair, then there is no
value in the donation.

M

Old Apr 5th 2002, 7:05 am
Mrtravel

Andy Platt wrote:
    >
    > "Steve & Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > LOL this made me smile Rita....the old car we had when we married, had the
    > > nickname "Betsy"!!
    >
    > Taken from the 70s movie?

Maybe they should call it "Christine"

Old Apr 7th 2002, 6:53 pm
Mrs Blackross

Who says they will repair it? They get the car donated for free...around here, even
the towing companies "donate" their time and drivers to tow the car for the charity
so it costs them nothing to accept it. They can turn around and sell it "as is" to
someone, they can auction it "as is", they can strip it and sell it off part by
part...every dollar makes a difference. Any way they slice it, they will end up with
money for it, so it is worth it to them to take the car. The cost of repairs has
absolutely nothing to do with what value the car is to the charity.

my original question wasn't concerning the condition of the car or value to the
charity..it was whether the car's year and model was in compliance with US
regulations, and if not, would I still be able to get rid of it down here since it
was registered in Canada and brought down the the US.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! now awaiting
plastic GC in the mail...

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Mrs Blackross wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a 1988 Taurus wagon that I brought with me when I came as a
visitor
    > > to the US. The engine itself runs very well and the body/interior is in great
    > > shape, but the transmission died last fall....being that is isn't worth it to me
    > > to get it fixed, I am now waiting on the compliance
letter
    > > from Ford so I can donate it to the local cancer society. If the car does not
    > > meet the compliance requirements, will they still
take
    > > the donation? I can't think of anywhere else I can take the car, It's
not
    > > worth the cost to tow it from MD to Canada to sell, and it's not worth
the
    > > cost to fix.
    >
    > If the cost of repair exceeds the value of the car after the repair, then there is
    > no value in the donation.
    >
    > M