Wedding Plans and ring

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 7:16 am
John

Default Wedding Plans and ring

I am just about to send in my initial K1 petition and read that wedding arrangements
are suggested to be submitted as proof of relationship along with the other required
documents.

My question is, how can I have wedding plans if I don't know how long this process
will take and when my fiance will arrive here? Will our individual signed and dated
letters expressing our intent and promise to marry, along with my signature on the
I129f, which binds me to marrying within 90 days, be enough?

Also, about rings. Is it necessary to submit a receipt for an engagement ring with
the initial petition? I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we receive the
NOA or even waiting until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this, being engaged
is a moot point isn't it?

Thanks!

John

--

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 7:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding Plans and ring

Originally posted by John:
I am just about to send in my initial K1 petition and read that wedding arrangements
are suggested to be submitted as proof of relationship along with the other required
documents.

John

--
A suggestion is not a requirement. It is one of several ways to show your relationship but it is not an end all.

As for a ring, we didn't give the receipt for my ring or for his ring. Give them what you have. The main thing being that you have to prove at this point that you two have MET in person during the previous two years.

As for planning a wedding, unless you are using NSC and the alien fiancee comes from a country where the US Consulate is a "deadbeat" i.e. India's US Consulates, it is relatively easy to plan a wedding. We started in March and planned our wedding for September. He was here in the US in August but had the K-1 by June. Now that was 1998 but still you have to remember that the visa is good for six months. So you send the I-129F in now and you can plan your wedding for March or April of 2003 and have plenty of time.

Rete
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 7:58 am

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am just about to send in my initial K1 petition and read that wedding
    > arrangements are suggested to be submitted as proof of relationship along with the
    > other required documents.
    > My question is, how can I have wedding plans if I don't know how long this process
    > will take and when my fiance will arrive here? Will our individual signed and
    > dated letters expressing our intent and promise to marry, along with my signature
    > on the I129f, which binds me to marrying within 90 days, be enough?

Yes.

> Also, about rings. Is it necessary to submit a receipt for an engagement ring with
    > the initial petition?

No.

(Both the above from our personal direct experience, we are not lawyers etc etc).

> I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we receive the NOA or even waiting
    > until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this, being engaged is a moot point
    > isn't it?

No comment.

> Thanks!
    > John
    > --

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 9:52 am
John

Rete,

thanks for the friendly and helpful reply!

i think the part of my question that i didn't get across clearly enough was if i
should have the wedding planned before i send the I129f and provide this information
as evidence of our intent to marry.

on a separate note, thanks for the laugh to whomever is using "." as their user name
for the "no comment" comment. you are definitely one of the more mysterious people on
this ng with your short and cryptic answers and ID.

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by John:
    > > I am just about to send in my initial K1 petition and read that wedding
    > > arrangements are suggested to be submitted as proof of relationship along with
    > > the other required documents.
    > >
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > A suggestion is not a requirement. It is one of several ways to show your
    > relationship but it is not an end all.
    > As for a ring, we didn't give the receipt for my ring or for his ring. Give them
    > what you have. The main thing being that you have to prove at this point that you
    > two have MET in person during the previous two years.
    > As for planning a wedding, unless you are using NSC and the alien fiancee comes
    > from a country where the US Consulate is a "deadbeat" i.e. India's US Consulates,
    > it is relatively easy to plan a wedding. We started in March and planned our
    > wedding for September. He was here in the US in August but had the K-1 by June.
    > Now that was 1998 but still you have to remember that the visa is good for six
    > months. So you send the I-129F in now and you can plan your wedding for March or
    > April of 2003 and have plenty of time.
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:33 am
Girard Bourque

I know one person that sent in a letter from the preacher that was going to do the
cermony. The letter said that his services had been requested once the fiancee was
in the country. Might help for further proof.

Jerry

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:40 am
Sthrnshrte

>> I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we receive the NOA or even waiting
    >> until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this, being engaged is a moot point
    >> isn't it?
    >No comment.

Unlike this poster, I do have a comment. I never thought someone could describe
being engaged as a moot point...don't mention that to anyone, 'specially the fiance.
As for the ring, I think for the lady in the relationship it may definitely not be a
moot point to have a ring. Some of us ladies like to have the ring. Maybe it's
because it shows the financial committment our men have made for us, or we can show
it off, or maybe because it's a symbol of something very important that we've been
dreaming about since we were little girls. What many ladies would rather not have is
a future husband already trying to talk their way out of doing a traditional pamper
for us. I wouldn't anyhow. Just a thought.

Ash

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:53 pm
Jerry Neslund

Buy her a ring. It does not have to be expensive, and you can always get her another
when she gets here. It's something of yours that she can wear everyday with pride.
I had a $200 promise ring when I proposed, and she hit the ceiling with excitement.
Now it's there with her, and I'm here. It's something of mine that she can touch.

We never submitted wedding plans with our application. You can start making general
plans and learn of your options now, so when it does happen, you already know the
who, what, and how of it.

IMHO, but not wanting to buy a ring sounds a little cold hearted and not a very
positive minded way to think. You both have a long process ahead, so step up and be
a man who is sure of himself.

John wrote:

>I am just about to send in my initial K1 petition and read that wedding arrangements
    >are suggested to be submitted as proof of relationship along with the other required
    >documents.
    >My question is, how can I have wedding plans if I don't know how long this process
    >will take and when my fiance will arrive here? Will our individual signed and dated
    >letters expressing our intent and promise to marry, along with my signature on the
    >I129f, which binds me to marrying within 90 days, be enough?
    >Also, about rings. Is it necessary to submit a receipt for an engagement ring with
    >the initial petition? I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we receive the
    >NOA or even waiting until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this, being engaged
    >is a moot point isn't it?
    >Thanks!
    >John
    >--

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 7:42 pm
Marjeta

[email protected] (SthrnShrtE) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we receive the NOA or even
    > >> waiting until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this, being engaged is a
    > >> moot point isn't it?

Sorry but what's the NOA got to do with the ring?

> Unlike this poster, I do have a comment. I never thought someone could describe
    > being engaged as a moot point...don't mention that to anyone, 'specially the
    > fiance. As for the ring, I think for the lady in the relationship it may
    > definitely not be a moot point to have a ring. Some of us ladies like to have the
    > ring. Maybe it's because it shows the financial committment our men have made for
    > us, or we can show it off, or maybe because it's a symbol of something very
    > important that we've been dreaming about since we were little girls. What many
    > ladies would rather not have is a future husband already trying to talk their way
    > out of doing a traditional pamper for us. I wouldn't anyhow. Just a thought.
    > Ash

This is especially applicable to american ladies. The ring fascination and attachment
to it is a lot less evident in continental Europe countries, from what I have seen
and experienced. Also "being engaged" is a less common occurance. There's a high
percentage of people living out of wedlock. Anyway, what I'm saying is that a ring
may not be that important to a lot of people. After all it is just an artefact,
something you wear on your finger, and it may or may not have such a strong symbolic
significance for you. So the need to wear that ring depends on your and your fiance's
perception. I've never dreamed of wearing one (when I was a little girl I dreamed
about different things for that matter) and I've never dreamed of a big wedding
either. Let's face it, most guys I ever knew were assholes, until I met my fiance of
course :-) I don't care that much about his financial commitment to me either, as I
can see that without a ring, and I sure hope there'll be financial income from my
side too when we're married. Now, wanting it just so you can show it off, I don't
even wanna comment on that. By the way, my fiance proposed me in a traditional way,
with a ring, and I thought it was really great because I thought it's just something
you see in movies so I was touched. And it came out of the blue. I love him very much
but I couldn't see myself as one of those ladies for whom this moment has been all
they've ever been waiting for, since they were little girls.

And for John: I got an engagement ring, we have wedding rings and we have a little of
wedding plans, but we didn't include any of that with our original petition and got
approved without problems.

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:23 pm
Morkai Kurst

I am about to go for my interview with the embassy to actually get my K1 Visa and we
have barely even broached the subject of when what and how with our wedding. The
closest we got to discussing it was when I had a wibble last week after my mother
finally suceeded in dragging me round some bridal shops. I had a short wibble at him
about figuring who we are inviting and stuph like that, the upshot was forget the
wedding, have a quickie legal one when I get there to satisfy the INS and then sit
down and plan what we want when we are actually face to face.

We did send a reciept in for my engagement ring but that was the only thing that
actually pointed at a wedding in our petition bar the letters of intent.

As for the ring being a moot point well thats entirely your own perception of what
getting engaged means to you. For me, its something I can touch and remember on those
occasions when everything is getting too much, when the lonliness kicks in cause I'm
so far away and I realise with horror I can't remember what its like to feel his arms
around me.

The financial aspect means nothing to me, it could have been a 20 buck plain silver
ring from walmart and it would still mean the same to me.

If I was with him properly and had been through our entire relationship it might mean
something completely different, but out of a 4 year relationship we've only been
together physically for 8 months. It's a symbol of his love for me, it's a symbol of
our relationship, its a represenatation of our promise to each other to not let this
drift away.

Every person here knows that pain and I have nothing but the utmost respect for
people who have made a relationship work over thousands of miles. It's the hardest
thing I've ever done.

Anyway, I'm waffling - basically no, you don't have to send in anything with wedding
plans, it might help but from experience it doesn't hinder. We were approved from TSC
in 4 weeks, no rfe's or anything. The only other 'evidence of a relationship' we sent
in was 2 photos's and scans of all my boarding passes.

Good luck

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > arrangements are suggested to be submitted as proof of relationship along with the
    > My question is, how can I have wedding plans if I don't know how long this process
    > will take and when my fiance will arrive here? Will our
individual
    > signed and dated letters expressing our intent and promise to marry, along with my
    > signature on the I129f, which binds me to marrying within 90
days,
    > be enough?
    > Also, about rings. Is it necessary to submit a receipt for an engagement ring
    > with the initial petition? I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we
    > receive the NOA or even waiting until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this,
    > being engaged
is
    > a moot point isn't it?
    > Thanks!
    > John

Old Aug 24th 2002, 2:55 am
John

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all of your comments and feedback as I really appreciate it. I think my
statement about getting the ring being a moot point was a bit insensitive but I just
want you guys to know that I am quite sensitive and appreciate this NG very much. I
think I said this out of frustration as I am just beginning this process. I adore my
fiancé. She returned to Brazil a few weeks ago and we are both currently wearing
silver rings that I bought which, in Brazil, traditionally symbolizes that we are in
a serious relationship. I do intend on buying her a nicer engagement ring soon and I
think I felt frustrated at the thought of having to buy the ring for the receipt
rather than buying it on my own time when it felt right..

I'm just happy to hear, from those of you generous enough to take the time to share
your experiences on this issue, that a ring receipt and wedding date is not required
when filing the petition.

I have to point out and thank Marjeta for her posting as I think she shares the same
outlook that my fiancé and I share. Our love, understanding, and trust of each other
are the rock which we've built this relationship on and we don't place so much
importance on the rings and ceremonies as others may, although we do appreciate them
symbolically. In Brazil, engagement rings are a simple gold band and I believe the
wedding ring is the same. There is no pressure to spend a months salary on a diamond
like we do here in America that others can see and measure how big it is and how much
money was spent. This easy going attitude is one of the many things that drew me to
Brazil where I just happened to have met my future wife! So thanks again everyone and
I will be buying that gold ring soon and, even though it wont' be a big surprise,
proposing to her in a traditional way because I know she will appreciate this and
there is nothing better for me than seeing the smile and happiness on the face of
the girl I love.

Morkai Kurst <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1030184662.14751.0.nnrp-01.9e98fd19@new-
s.demon.co.uk
    > I am about to go for my interview with the embassy to actually get my K1 Visa and
    > we have barely even broached the subject of when what and how
with
    > our wedding. The closest we got to discussing it was when I had a wibble last week
    > after my mother finally suceeded in dragging me round some
bridal
    > shops. I had a short wibble at him about figuring who we are inviting and stuph
    > like that, the upshot was forget the wedding, have a quickie legal
one
    > when I get there to satisfy the INS and then sit down and plan what we
want
    > when we are actually face to face.
    > We did send a reciept in for my engagement ring but that was the only
thing
    > that actually pointed at a wedding in our petition bar the letters of intent.
    > As for the ring being a moot point well thats entirely your own perception of what
    > getting engaged means to you. For me, its something I can touch
and
    > remember on those occasions when everything is getting too much, when the lonliness
    > kicks in cause I'm so far away and I realise with horror I can't remember what its
    > like to feel his arms around me.
    > The financial aspect means nothing to me, it could have been a 20 buck
plain
    > silver ring from walmart and it would still mean the same to me.
    > If I was with him properly and had been through our entire relationship it might
    > mean something completely different, but out of a 4 year
relationship
    > we've only been together physically for 8 months. It's a symbol of his
love
    > for me, it's a symbol of our relationship, its a represenatation of our promise to
    > each other to not let this drift away.
    > Every person here knows that pain and I have nothing but the utmost
respect
    > for people who have made a relationship work over thousands of miles. It's the
    > hardest thing I've ever done.
    > Anyway, I'm waffling - basically no, you don't have to send in anything
with
    > wedding plans, it might help but from experience it doesn't hinder. We
were
    > approved from TSC in 4 weeks, no rfe's or anything. The only other
'evidence
    > of a relationship' we sent in was 2 photos's and scans of all my boarding passes.
    > Good luck
    > "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > arrangements are suggested to be submitted as proof of relationship
along
    > > with the other required documents.
    > >
    > > My question is, how can I have wedding plans if I don't know how long
this
    > > process will take and when my fiance will arrive here? Will our
    > individual
    > > signed and dated letters expressing our intent and promise to marry,
along
    > > with my signature on the I129f, which binds me to marrying within 90
    > days,
    > > be enough?
    > >
    > > Also, about rings. Is it necessary to submit a receipt for an
engagement
    > > ring with the initial petition? I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we
    > > receive the NOA or
even
    > > waiting until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this, being engaged
    > is
    > > a moot point isn't it?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > John

Old Aug 24th 2002, 4:35 am
Sthrnshrte

>This is especially applicable to american ladies. The ring fascination and
    >attachment to it is a lot less evident in continental Europe countries, from what I
    >have seen and experienced.

This is what I've experienced as well, I definitely agree to that.

>Anyway, what I'm saying is that a ring may not be that important to a lot of people.
    >After all it is just an artefact, something you wear on your finger, and it may or
    >may not have such a strong symbolic significance for you. So the need to wear that
    >ring depends on your and your fiance's perception. I've never dreamed of wearing one
    >(when I was a little girl I dreamed about different things for that matter) and I've
    >never dreamed of a big wedding either...>>

It does depend on the couple's perception. I never dreamed of wearing one either,
nor do I think it's a financial committment or something to show off. I only said
those things in a lighthearted joking way, but it's hard to come across like that in
typed conversation (something I'm sure all of us have experienced in our long
distance relationships). For me the ring was a symbol of our relationship and
something I could touch and feel connected to my now husband who was (and still is)
4000 miles away. Actually we were engaged over a year before I even got the ring,
and it was a week before our wedding. If he had just tied a string around my finger
I would have been happy. I didn't expect anything more and was pleasantly surprised
to get anything. But now that I'm back in the US, 4000 miles away from him again,
anything that I have that connects us has become dearly cherished. Now that I've
gone completely off subject of the topic, I'll let you return to your daily INS
discussion.

Old Aug 24th 2002, 5:08 am
Jonathan_atc

You had better have a ring on her finger before her consulate interview or she may
not be getting the visa.

You ARE engaged or your aren't. You can't base the engagement on whether or not she
gets the visa. You could go live in her country if you had to. The point is you IN
LOVE and ARE engaged, or you are not.

Planning the wedding can take place AFTER the visa has been gotten, but sometimes
people need to plan in advance. Places need to be reserved, perhaps a caterer and
cake and all that needs to be decided.

However, DOS nor DOJ do not need to see your wedding plans. Your letters stating
that you are willing and able to marry within 90 days are enough for them.

Get her a ring, darn it!

--
Jonathan_ATC "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > will take and when my fiance will arrive here? Will our
individual
    > signed and dated letters expressing our intent and promise to marry, along with my
    > signature on the I129f, which binds me to marrying within 90
days,
    > be enough?
    > Also, about rings. Is it necessary to submit a receipt for an engagement ring
    > with the initial petition? I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we
    > receive the NOA or even waiting until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this,
    > being engaged
is
    > a moot point isn't it?
    > Thanks!
    > John
    > --

Old Aug 24th 2002, 6:49 am
John

You make some great points Jonathan!

And I promise I will get her the ring soon, gosh darn it! )

Wow, I didn't realize I would be creating such a long thread with my initial posting.

Thanks again!

Jonathan_ATC <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
anews.com
    > You had better have a ring on her finger before her consulate interview or she may
    > not be getting the visa.
    > You ARE engaged or your aren't. You can't base the engagement on whether
or
    > not she gets the visa. You could go live in her country if you had to.
The
    > point is you IN LOVE and ARE engaged, or you are not.
    > Planning the wedding can take place AFTER the visa has been gotten, but sometimes
    > people need to plan in advance. Places need to be reserved, perhaps a caterer and
    > cake and all that needs to be decided.
    > However, DOS nor DOJ do not need to see your wedding plans. Your letters stating
    > that you are willing and able to marry within 90 days are enough
for
    > them.
    > Get her a ring, darn it!
    > --
    > Jonathan_ATC "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >
    > > arrangements are suggested to be submitted as proof of relationship
along
    > > with the other required documents.
    > >
    > > My question is, how can I have wedding plans if I don't know how long
this
    > > process will take and when my fiance will arrive here? Will our
    > individual
    > > signed and dated letters expressing our intent and promise to marry,
along
    > > with my signature on the I129f, which binds me to marrying within 90
    > days,
    > > be enough?
    > >
    > > Also, about rings. Is it necessary to submit a receipt for an
engagement
    > > ring with the initial petition? I don't see the sense in buying the ring until we
    > > receive the NOA or
even
    > > waiting until my fiance gets the K1 visa as, without this, being engaged
    > is
    > > a moot point isn't it?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >

Old Aug 26th 2002, 3:39 am
Karen

I only mentioned what our wedding plans were in the petition, did not include any
dates or anything because obviously we were not able too. I too thought it was pretty
silly how they wanted that info. but yet how could you make any plans if you do not
know how long it would take? And we got approved without any proof of our wedding
plans. Maybe just mention in your intro. letter what your planning and you should be
fine. And as for the engagement ring issue. I came home with one on my finger after
meeting my fiance and I did not even want one but he insisted. Granted I love it but
still, its not necessary at all. What should matter is that your in love and getting
married. Nothing else is really relevant.

Karen

Old Aug 26th 2002, 5:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by John:
You make some great points Jonathan!

And I promise I will get her the ring soon, gosh darn it! )

Wow, I didn't realize I would be creating such a long thread with my initial posting.

Thanks again!
Sorry but personally I think Jonathan's post is a crock. The US Consulate does NOT look to see if the female fiancee is wearing an engagement ring. What is the engagement ring is a necklace instead or they just have decided that money is too tight for it or it is against one of the two's customs.

If she doesn't have one now and you are engaged, getting her one to appease Jonthan's sense of priority is unnecessary.

BTW I did have an engagement ring and did not include the receipt for it with my I-129F. It was never asked for in writing or verbally.

Rete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.