Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Wedding next month but no K1 yet!

Wikiposts

Wedding next month but no K1 yet!

Old May 25th 2006, 2:43 am
Roisin

Default Wedding next month but no K1 yet!

can anybody please advise me here?

My fiance and I applied for K1 in Feb this year. Our wedding is planned for late June.

But we still haven't got his K1. I don't mind delaying our wedding- but his family have all booked flights to come over. What would happen if we married while still waiting for K1? Also - if he's coming over on a visitor visa and gets married in June(he's going back mid July as he has a job back in UK)would that cause problems?

A friend suggested we cancel K1 - get married in June then apply for K3.

Any suggestions?.

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old May 25th 2006, 3:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding next month but no K1 yet!

Originally Posted by Roisin
My fiance and I applied for K1 in Feb this year. Our wedding is planned for late June.
It's probably not a good idea to make any definite wedding plans until he has his visa in-hand. You never know what could postpone getting the visa. Don't make any plans that can't be re-arranged or refunded.

What would happen if we married while still waiting for K1?
Then you would have to abandon the K-1 process, and start over with a spouse petition.

Also - if he's coming over on a visitor visa and gets married in June(he's going back mid July as he has a job back in UK)would that cause problems?
The only problem would be that you'd have to abandon the K-1 and start over with a spouse petition instead. As long as he doesn't intend to remain in the USA, getting married (and then returning to the UK before his VWP is up) is no problem.

This is certainly possible.

Any suggestions?.
Not really. The choice is totally yours to make. You'll be spending time separated...it's up to you if you would rather spend that time separated as an engaged couple or a married couple.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 25th 2006 at 4:03 am.
Old May 25th 2006, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

But we still haven't got his K1. I don't mind delaying our wedding- but his family have all booked flights to come over. What would happen if we married while still waiting for K1? Also - if he's coming over on a visitor visa and gets married in June(he's going back mid July as he has a job back in UK)would that cause problems?

Any suggestions?.

---
posted via:

If he's going back in mid-July anyway, you should do the spouse route (either immigrant visa or K-3 visa). That's because even if you got the K-1 on time, the chances of you filing AOS and getting Advance Parole back in time for him to go back to the UK in mid-July are very low. If he left without Advance Parole, he'd be abandoning his AOS process and have to start over with the spouse route anyway. So just go straight for the spousal route, unless he's prepared to not go back for work in mid-July. File I-130 and I-129f. Whichever form (I-130 for immigrant visa or I-129f for K-3 visa) gets approved first, follow that to its logical conclusion.
Old May 25th 2006, 4:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Really curious now. How are you a USC and your brother has had to marry someone to get his green card while he is here in the US?

Any suggestions?.

---
posted via:
Old May 25th 2006, 4:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In your post about your brother's "illegal" marriage as you called it, you appeared to know your way around the immigration corridor. This post, however, makes you sound as if you know nothing about immigration.

How can you fiancee come here on a K-1, get married in June, and then leave to return to the UK to work in mid-July? You don't need a fiancee visa to come here and marry and leave.

Any suggestions?.

---
posted via:
Old May 25th 2006, 5:25 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
In your post about your brother's "illegal" marriage as you called it, you appeared to know your way around the immigration corridor.
You gotta link, Rete??

~ Jenney

UPDATE EDIT: Forget it, I found it!

Last edited by Just Jenney; May 25th 2006 at 5:27 am.
Old May 25th 2006, 5:37 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
You gotta link, Rete??

~ Jenney

UPDATE EDIT: Forget it, I found it!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Roisin

Found it.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like we have caught a troll.
Old May 25th 2006, 7:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Looks like we have caught a troll.
Perhaps the OP has been in the USA quite a while, and has become a naturalized citizen?

Rene
Old May 25th 2006, 7:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Perhaps the OP has been in the USA quite a while, and has become a naturalized citizen?

Rene
Possibly.

But a new poster with those 2 issues on the same day?.

Would you not start with your own query, just looks odd.
Old May 25th 2006, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Possibly.

But a new poster with those 2 issues on the same day?.

Would you not start with your own query, just looks odd.
I agree.