Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Wedding Issue (K-1 visa)

Wedding Issue (K-1 visa)

Old May 25th 2015, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Anticitizen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wedding Issue (K-1 visa)

I will be booking my appointment at the embassy soon-ish, so I was looking through example questions. Most of them seem to be straightforward, but the last one on the list has me a little concerned.

It is about producing details and supporting documents of wedding plans: hall booking, invitations, wedding clothes/ring receipts, guest lists, food preparations...

My problem is neither myself nor my sponsor want any of that. Our idea of what would happen that day is I would fly my family out, her family would attend and we would go to a courthouse (casually dressed), get married and then get pizza.

Has anyone else been through this process where they have not wanted a "wedding"; just a marriage.

Thanks,

Last edited by Anticitizen; May 25th 2015 at 9:31 am.
Old May 25th 2015, 9:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding Issue

Tell them exactly that, that it will be a small courthouse wedding.

You can't give them what you don't have.
Old May 25th 2015, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Tell them exactly that, that it will be a small courthouse wedding.

You can't give them what you don't have.
My initial thought was that 'honesty is the best policy' etc... But I don't want our lack of interest in a wedding to raise any red flags and cause us issue with getting approved. Do you know how they might view our plans (or lack thereof)?
Old May 25th 2015, 11:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anticitizen
My initial thought was that 'honesty is the best policy' etc... But I don't want our lack of interest in a wedding to raise any red flags and cause us issue with getting approved. Do you know how they might view our plans (or lack thereof)?
So if people here said that the embassy staff might question the lack of wedding would you change you plans and book a huge affair? No? Then just tell them the truth; that you plan a small courthouse wedding.

Like civilservant says, you can't give them what you don't have.
Old May 25th 2015, 12:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding Issue (K-1 visa)

My problem is neither myself nor my sponsor want any of that. Our idea of what would happen that day is I would fly my family out, her family would attend and we would go to a courthouse (casually dressed), get married and then get pizza.

Has anyone else been through this process where they have not wanted a "wedding"; just a marriage.
Yes. My fiancé and I had NO wedding plans at the time of his K-1 interview (except to get married within 90 days, of course). He was not asked about any specific wedding plans, but even if he had been, he would have just said we will marry within 90 days, we don't have specific plans yet. In your case, you even do have a specific plan...courthouse wedding with pizza afterwards...that's more of a plan than we had! LOL

As it turned out for us, 2 weeks after his arrival in the USA, we were downtown getting his SS card applied for, and decided to get the marriage license applied for too. We saw they could do same-day ceremonies at the courthouse, so we went home, got the cash to pay the JP, had lunch, made quick calls to my best friend and my sister, and we all met up about 2 hours later at the courthouse. I was wearing dress slacks and a blouse, my husband was wearing jeans and a red Nike t-shirt. LOL We said our vows, my witnesses signed the marriage certificate, and my sister took us out for a steak dinner. No photos, no big affair, but a very special day for us!

Our lack of fancy marriage and no wedding photos was never a problem throughout my husband's immigration process...he became a USC in 2009.

Rene
Old May 25th 2015, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It is about producing details and supporting documents of wedding plans: hall booking, invitations, wedding clothes/ring receipts, guest lists, food preparations...
There is absolutely no requirement whatsoever that you produce anything related to your wedding plans. An officer can certainly ask about your plans, but even a courthouse wedding is sufficient.

I don't want our lack of interest in a wedding to raise any red flags and cause us issue with getting approved.
This won't happen - because your wedding plans or lack thereof, are not a criteria to deny the visa. Indeed, many people don't even start to plan a wedding until after the visa is approved! Bottom line: this is a non-issue.

Ian
Old May 25th 2015, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help, everyone .
Old May 25th 2015, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of K1 users have simple courthouse weddings. This is usually due to the time restrictions on when you get your visa and when you land etc. It is very common and not unusual at all.

Some often then have a fancy do or even second marriage later which gives everyone time to book flights and plan it all properly.