Wikiposts

The Wedding

Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default Re: The Wedding

Originally posted by MarDae
We are planning a small wedding with just our parents...no siblings. Both our families are okay with this arrangement. We'll probably have this ceremony within about 3 weeks of his arrival so we give EAD processing as much time as possible!

We are going to have a large "normal" ceremony the summer of 2005 on our 5 year anniversary as a couple. It's not an ideal situation but at least this way our families aren't hurt and we still get to celebrate with all of friends and family. Plus we'll be able to plan the big wedding together instead of me trying to put things together while he's still in Ireland.

I think that a lot of people have two ceremonies who are in this situation. I think when we send out invitations for the second one we are going to call it a wedding celebration or marriage celebration...something like that since that is what it really is since it's not our true "wedding". Regardless we'll be together so I'm not too worried.

Well that sounds like a good idea, hardly suprising coming from somebody marrying an irish man (hohoh, Im irish too !). That was our plan aswell but my fiancee gets all stressed out that even though it is only our parents coming that she will have to do a lot of planning, she thinks it would be so much easier if it was only me and her at the initial civil ceremony...which would go down like a lead balloon with my parents... obviously all personal issues you cant do much about for me (unfortunatly !) but its nice to vent !

Happy Planning!
MarDae
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally posted by Noorah101
I believe they are referring the the Adjustment of Status which you will apply for after you're married. As part of the paperwork for that, there is another Affidavit of Support (I-185). I'm not there in the process yet, but you might want to start doing some research on it and see what it all entails.

do you know where I can find out more about this as I never knew there were financial requirements after the issue of K1 visa ?...could they make this process any less inconvenient
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrDub
do you know where I can find out more about this as I never knew there were financial requirements after the issue of K1 visa ?...could they make this process any less inconvenient
Follow this link to do some reading on Adjustment of Status and the forms required:

http://bcis.stephenpalik.com/faq/k1faq.htm#6.2

Good luck!
Rene
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:26 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

well I guess it all depends where and when and how..

we have sort of staked out the spot for the reception, and details about it.. organized our musical selections, because to us the music is key!! bought my dress and all the things that go with..

for me, the big day is the big day.. I really didnt want to have a small civil ceremony and then another later on..I want my posse there when we say "I do" but, we may end up having 2 parties anyway as we had to decided on if its going to be closer to his side or my side..but I do hope that the vip's all make it to the first party!

we also investigated the marriage license and how long that takes.. I suppose everywhere is different.. this one has to be picked up 24 hours prior..

hope that helps.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

blenky16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrDub
With my NOA2 rapidly approaching approval (I hope !) my fiancée and me are starting to think seriously about the wedding. As there is a need to get married within three months its seems incredibly difficult to organise a wedding seeing as we don’t even know where we will be living (depending on where I get a job). I think we could manage to slap something together in-between looking for a job etc but I’m sure the short notice would prove very difficult for overseas relative.

Hence I’m stressed out and so look to the friendly forum for some friendly words of advice. What have you done or intend to do regarding a wedding. ?? does having a legal ceremony with me and my fiancée only present and then organising a wedding a year or so later seem like a weird way to do things (obviously would not go down to well with parents/close friends).

awaiting response......

Hope it isn't weird... my wife and I are doing this as we speak!! We were married last February in a civil service at the local courthouse. We are getting married, in a church service with big tent reception in Canada (at my parent's old stone farm house property) in August 2004. That is a year and a half after the actual civil service. To us it was important to have the church service. Why are we waiting so long between civil service and marriage? Well we started planning before I got my GC, and we wanted to leave enough time for AOS, etc and not have to worry about AP or anything like that. It also gave us enough time to save the required money (although it costs MUCH less to do a very nice wedding in Canada versus the US).

Good luck!

Sean