Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

We were not sure where to post so if anyone can help us.....

We were not sure where to post so if anyone can help us.....

Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Rose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant future
Question We were not sure where to post so if anyone can help us.....

Hi, I would appreciate any advice anyone might be able to give us on our problem. I apologize if i did not post in the right forum. Anywho here is our dilemma.

In august of 2004 i flew to the uk and got denied entry(im a usc). I was going to visit my boyfriend who is now my husband. im partially deaf and had trouble understanding what the officer was saying. anyways i was flown home the next day from the uk and was told i needed to apply for a visa to visit the uk. I applied very soon after i arrived home and got denied again. they stated(just like the officers in london had said) that i was trying to move to the uk and didnt have adequate funds to visit.(ive never been to the uk before that was my first time) well months later my now husband who is a uk citizen comes to the us for the 2nd time. we got married and he is now a permanent resident here. he lives in the us with me. we are still living with my parents untill we get everything straigtned out. now, our question or questions is this..... what visa do i apply for? will i get denied again if ive been denied before? we just want to visit for about 2 weeks or so in the early part of 2006. we would just like to know what we can do. thanks again for any help you guys can give us. It is much appreciated. I am sorry if this post is confusing
Old Sep 1st 2005, 5:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: We were not sure where to post so if anyone can help us.....

Originally Posted by Rose5
Hi, I would appreciate any advice anyone might be able to give us on our problem. I apologize if i did not post in the right forum. Anywho here is our dilemma.

In august of 2004 i flew to the uk and got denied entry(im a usc). I was going to visit my boyfriend who is now my husband. im partially deaf and had trouble understanding what the officer was saying. anyways i was flown home the next day from the uk and was told i needed to apply for a visa to visit the uk. I applied very soon after i arrived home and got denied again. they stated(just like the officers in london had said) that i was trying to move to the uk and didnt have adequate funds to visit.(ive never been to the uk before that was my first time) well months later my now husband who is a uk citizen comes to the us for the 2nd time. we got married and he is now a permanent resident here. he lives in the us with me. we are still living with my parents untill we get everything straigtned out. now, our question or questions is this..... what visa do i apply for? will i get denied again if ive been denied before? we just want to visit for about 2 weeks or so in the early part of 2006. we would just like to know what we can do. thanks again for any help you guys can give us. It is much appreciated. I am sorry if this post is confusing
When I (UK Citizen) moved back to the UK, in 1996, with my Wife, (Australian Passport), she didn't have any problems getting in even without a visa. We even did the same for a holiday a few year prior to that.

The fact that she was the wife of a UK Citizen seemed to be all that was needed. I can't guarantee that things have not changed, but I would follow up on that line if you can.

Old Sep 1st 2005, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Now you're married, you can apply for a spousal visa which gives you idefinite leave to remain. If you leave the UK however, you lose it and have to apply again unless you become a citizen.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:15 am
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by proo
Now you're married, you can apply for a spousal visa which gives you idefinite leave to remain. If you leave the UK however, you lose it and have to apply again unless you become a citizen.
Wow, this is news to me - I mean about losing the spouse visa if you leave the UK . Do you mean leave the UK permanently? Can someone with indefinite leave to remain in the UK, leave the country for a holiday and return without losing their indefinite leave to remain?

The spouse visa (actually it's an Entry Clearance stamp) costs 260 pounds (at least here in Japan it does) and involves rather a lot of paperwork. You have to show that you have an income or enough funds to live on without recourse to social security, and also that you will be able live somewhere suitable through your own means (i.e. you won't need council housing).

Last edited by Viking Man; Sep 1st 2005 at 6:53 am.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Viking Man
Wow, this is news to me - I mean about losing the spouse visa if you leave the UK . Do you mean leave the UK permanently? Can someone with indefinite leave to remain in the UK, leave the country for a holiday and return without losing their indefinite leave to remain?
A spouse visa in the UK does permit a spouse to go overseas, even without the UK spouse Mine did, a few times

Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:56 am
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A spouse visa in the UK does permit a spouse to go overseas, even without the UK spouse Mine did, a few times
Well I would hope so - otherwise all foreign spouses would be effectively incarcerated in the UK! I guess if you leave the UK on a spouse visa, there's a time limit within which you must return to the UK in order to retain your visa?

B.T.W. the relevant visa is called INF4. Here's the link to the UK government site with all the details - this is fairly easy to understand I think:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...8721067257#Q14
Old Sep 1st 2005, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Rose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Thanks to all that have replied but i am a little confused. We dont want to live in the uk. just visit. we live in the us because hubby just got granted perm. residency here in the us. so do we still need to apply for a spouse visa just to visit because ive been denied entry and a visa before. sorry if i seem a little confused. again thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:53 pm
Small Dane

Thanks to all that have replied but i am a little confused. We dont want to live in the uk. just visit. we live in the us because hubby just got granted perm. residency here in the us. so do we still need to apply for a spouse visa just to visit because ive been denied entry and a visa before. sorry if i seem a little confused. again thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it
Sorry I guess we didn't read your post properly. There's a web site where you can check about visas: www.ukvisas.gov.uk. According to that site you don't actually need a visa but if you have been refused one before you may apply for one first to check if you can come into the UK:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/UK...=United+States
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Viking Man

The spouse visa (actually it's an Entry Clearance stamp) costs 260 pounds (at least here in Japan it does) and involves rather a lot of paperwork. You have to show that you have an income or enough funds to live on without recourse to social security, and also that you will be able live somewhere suitable through your own means (i.e. you won't need council housing).
Actually it's very little paperwork compared to that involved in moving to most countries. You can get it in one day too if you make an appointment to apply in person. I don't think you can get a spouse visa in 1 day to go to Oz, NZ, Canada or the US. I'd be surprised with those countries if you can get it in one month considering the medicals and police certificates etc etc.

You do NOT get indefinite leave to remain in the UK straight away. Normally (unless you've been married over 4 years) you get a Limited Leave to REmain (LLR) for 2 years first, and if the marriage is still going strong after then you apply for ILR. If you have ILR you can spend up to 2 years outside the UK without having to go through the immigration process again when you return.

To just VISIT the UK the OP does not actually need a visitor visa but as she has been denied entry to the UK before, it might be advisable to apply for it. Like the spouse visa it takes 1 day in person (at NYC, LA or Chicago British Consulates) or about 5 working days by mail. I think now the circumstances have changed and her hubby lives in the US, she stands every chance of success.