Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

We were approved! Quick review of how things went.

We were approved! Quick review of how things went.

Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice
Default We were approved! Quick review of how things went.

We were doing DCF and the whole process from NOA1 to Interview took 138 days.

When i got to Goulds at around 6:55, it was closed so i went for a walk down to the Embassy and there was nobody there. Not even the beginnings of a queue. Back to Goulds i went and they opened up around 7:10 and i stored my things for £3.

Back at the Embassy by about 7:15, there were about 15 people there. They were all there for Citizen Services or Non-Immigrant visas. At about 7:25, they brought out the desk and started checking peoples appointment letters and passports and let people into the security room 4 at a time, giving plastic bags to people to put belts and watches into.

When i got inside, i got my number at the desk. I was I901. I was inside and sat down by 7:40. At 7:58, they called the first N numbers. After about 5 of those, at 8am i was called up to desk number 1. It was a woman. If her lanyard is anything to go by, she is probably Malaysian. She was friendly and complimented my filing! She told me she is sick of people who turn up without the right documents... She asked me for everything she needed, birth certificate, police certificate, marriage certificate (and copies), passport, I-864. She then gave back my X-ray disk. She then had me put my fingers on the scanner to take my finger prints. Then she sent me to pay for the visa ($230) at the cashiers desk number 12. I went back to desk 1 to return the receipt and got stuck waiting for 20 minutes because a man didnt bring his documents! By this time it was around 8:30.

Once i managed to give it to her, i went to fill in the courier form and wait to be called up again.

At about 9:05, i was called by name over the speaker to window 16. It was the Chinese American looking guy. He said "Good morning" and gave back my original documents. He then asked me to raise my right hand and he asked if i swear everything is true to the best of my knowledge.

He got to a speedy start and asked:
How long have you been married?
How did you meet each other?
When was that?
Why do you want to move?
Who is (joint sponsors name)?
Do you have children?
How old are they?
What job will your husband do in the US?
What do you do?

I then asked him if he would like the employers letter etc which i had got for intent to establish domicile but he refused and said "Your visa has been approved, do you have any questions?"

When i type that out, it sounds like the interview dragged on, but it reality i was stood there for 3 or 4 minutes and it didnt seem intimidating or anything.

So off i go to pay the courier and discover a queue half way up the room! I paid the £14.80 and went to get my phone back and share the good news! I was back at Goulds by 9:25. In all, they were pretty relaxed and made it seem very routine rather than a hurdle to overcome.

Throughout this process, i have not submitted any relationship evidence or intent to domicile.

Thank you all for your advice and support!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We were approved! Quick review of how things went.

Originally Posted by holly2234
I then asked him if he would like the employers letter etc which i had got for intent to establish domicile but he refused and said "Your visa has been approved, do you have any questions?"
Congratulations!

When i type that out, it sounds like the interview dragged on, but it reality i was stood there for 3 or 4 minutes and it didnt seem intimidating or anything.
Many people report that the actual interview is somewhat anticlimactic.

Throughout this process, i have not submitted any relationship evidence or intent to domicile.
If you hadn't gathered the evidence, you likely would have been asked! Go figure!

Ian
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Congratulations!

Many people report that the actual interview is somewhat anticlimactic.

If you hadn't gathered the evidence, you likely would have been asked! Go figure!

Ian
Thanks!

Exactly! I had something for every eventuality and i was asked to produce only the very basics.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Thanks Holly for sharing your experience!

I have sooooo many documents that we probably won't need too, but figured it is best to be safe than sorry!

Once again, I am really pleased its all worked out well for you!! x
Old Oct 5th 2012, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Thank you! Good luck for yours too Always best to have too much than not enough.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

confusedmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!! Glad both your trips to the Embassy went well!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks