Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

We want to be together, but what should we do?

We want to be together, but what should we do?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We want to be together, but what should we do?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
... and now you want to marry? Very amusing! You already have "A LOT of debt" and you are looking for your parents to be joint sponsors? Are you working? Where did all the debt come from? Being heavily in debt is not the best way to start a relationship, let alone a marriage. If your parents haven't bailed you out yet, why would they consider joint sponsorship for a boy they barely know? They could end up being financially responsible for him for the rest of their lives! Have you fully thought this through yet?

From where I sit - and I'll be the first to admit this is none of my business and you're free to do what you want - it doesn't sound like you're making very good choices at this point in time.

Ian
Guess which Ian got out of bed this morning? Kind? Sanctimonious? Prick?

Two out of three ain't bad!

Based on her posts it looks to me like the OP has her head screwed on. She's done way more research than a lot of the people posting on here, and is realistic about the options. No need to be a grumpy old git and rain on her romance.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime

Based on her posts it looks to me like the OP has her head screwed on. She's done way more research than a lot of the people posting on here, and is realistic about the options. No need to be a grumpy old git and rain on her romance.
I agree with Ian. Early 20s and A LOT of debt? Wanting to marry a foreign national after a 4 month LD relationship? What's the big rush? It could be a storybook romance, but it also has the makings of a financial and emotional mess.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:57 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime

Ian wasn't the only person who pointed out that her massive debt will be a problem needing to be resolved before getting married. He wasn't even the first person to mention it; that was me (taking a bow). Although Ian doesn't like to sugercoat things, that doesn't make what he's saying any less valid or important. If anything, sometimes people need to hear the hard truth, whether they want to or not.

Not telling the OP of the pitfalls of heading into immigration with loads of debt and after only spending a few months together online is doing the OP a disservice. This has nothing to do with "raining on her romance" -- it has everything to do with helping making sure she doesn't get in over her head. Immigration and romance are inherently at odds anyway, and anyone who believes otherwise is delusional!

~ Jenney
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Ian wasn't the only person who pointed out that her massive debt will be a problem needing to be resolved before getting married. He wasn't even the first person to mention it; that was me (taking a bow). Although Ian doesn't like to sugercoat things, that doesn't make what he's saying any less valid or important. If anything, sometimes people need to hear the hard truth, whether they want to or not.

Not telling the OP of the pitfalls of heading into immigration with loads of debt and after only spending a few months together online is doing the OP a disservice. This has nothing to do with "raining on her romance" -- it has everything to do with helping making sure she doesn't get in over her head. Immigration and romance are inherently at odds anyway, and anyone who believes otherwise is delusional!

~ Jenney
They'll be spending the better part of a year figuring out which visa to get, how to get it, and waiting for the visa to arrive....and they'll get to see each other at their best and worst during that year...that will be enlightening for them as well.

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmSa
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but we need some help.

I met my boyfriend on the internet about 4 months ago and he came to visit me for 3 weeks on the Visa Waiver Program (he's British, I'm American). We've both decided that we are pretty perfect for each other and want to be with each other on a more permanent basis.. but we're not sure how we should go about it. He's also at school in the UK and won't be graduating for a couple of years which makes things a bit more difficult if he came out here (unless he transferred or something).

So.. In our situation would it be easier for me to file for a fiance visa for the UK, marry him there and then try to get him back out to the US with me when he graduates?

Or would it be best for him to file for the K-1 visa over there?

Or.. What would happen if we got married in the US when he next comes over, then once he was back in the UK I tried to get him into the US to be with me.. Is that possible?
Hi:

I have deliberately refrained from participating in this thread. However, I will make a general comment that in immigration, there is often a sharp divergence between what you "want" and what "can be done." [I "want" 30 million dollars, but ...]

Be very careful -- I am often consulted after the fact when "want" overwhelmed "can be done" and the Immigration authorities were, a one of my daughters would say, "not amused."

My colleague J Craig Fong [on the general visa forum] and I have a name for this: "janitorial work" in which we try to clean up the mess.

Good luck in the future.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

~ Jenney
Not to mention the fact that, if the queries we get at BE are anything to go by, there seems to be no shortage of young people who want to move to the US because they have sucked from "the grass is greener in the US" udder - only to be told that their only chance is "to marry a USC".