Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

We want to be together, but what should we do?

We want to be together, but what should we do?

Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:16 am
Just Joined

AmSa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We want to be together, but what should we do?

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but we need some help.

I met my boyfriend on the internet about 4 months ago and he came to visit me for 3 weeks on the Visa Waiver Program (he's British, I'm American). We've both decided that we are pretty perfect for each other and want to be with each other on a more permanent basis.. but we're not sure how we should go about it. He's also at school in the UK and won't be graduating for a couple of years which makes things a bit more difficult if he came out here (unless he transferred or something).

So.. In our situation would it be easier for me to file for a fiance visa for the UK, marry him there and then try to get him back out to the US with me when he graduates?

Or would it be best for him to file for the K-1 visa over there?

Or.. What would happen if we got married in the US when he next comes over, then once he was back in the UK I tried to get him into the US to be with me.. Is that possible?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:29 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We want to be together, but what should we do?

Originally Posted by AmSa
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but we need some help.

I met my boyfriend on the internet about 4 months ago and he came to visit me for 3 weeks on the Visa Waiver Program (he's British, I'm American). We've both decided that we are pretty perfect for each other and want to be with each other on a more permanent basis.. but we're not sure how we should go about it. He's also at school in the UK and won't be graduating for a couple of years which makes things a bit more difficult if he came out here (unless he transferred or something).

So.. In our situation would it be easier for me to file for a fiance visa for the UK, marry him there and then try to get him back out to the US with me when he graduates?

Or would it be best for him to file for the K-1 visa over there?

Or.. What would happen if we got married in the US when he next comes over, then once he was back in the UK I tried to get him into the US to be with me.. Is that possible?
Things to think about...
Can he afford school in the US ...
Can you afford to sponsor him, do you have well paid work

the whole immigration thing is not cheap..

You file for K-1 not him

Your last plan would work if the above can be sorted
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Things to think about...
Can he afford school in the US ...
Can you afford to sponsor him, do you have well paid work
I'm not sure if I can afford to sponsor him, I unfortunately have A LOT of debt, however, my parents are very well off, would they be suitable sponsors?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if I can afford to sponsor him, I unfortunately have A LOT of debt, however, my parents are very well off, would they be suitable sponsors?
They would if they want to get tied into it

How old are you both?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AmSa, Welcome to BE.

Pretty much all of your options are open to you right now, especially if he's not going to be moving to the USA for another couple of years. Unfortunately, there is no quick-fix to being together for the next couple of years, until one of you intends to immigrate to the other's country. In the meantime, you'll just be visiting each other on the VWP.

Do a search on the Wiki here for CR-1 Immigrant Visa, and also K-1 Fiance Visa, then come back if you have questions.

Yes, you parents can be joint sponsors.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
They would if they want to get tied into it

How old are you both?
23 and 22
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:54 am
Ray

23 and 22
OMG ..Oh to be young again ...

still think he would be better off finishing his education
first though.. A 3 week vacation with someone is not
that revealing
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Yes your parents can be joint sponsors for him.

You have the right ideas in your original post, all three ideas are viable. If you are willing to live in the UK then the idea of you moving to live with him until he graduates is probably the best one. It means you can be together soon, he doesn't have to pay through the nose to attend a US university, and it will give you a chance to get to know him a bit better before asking your parents to sign on to support him in the US.

Here's a page from the UK border agency site that's applicable to you: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/uk...dcivilpartner/ There's also a forum at uk-yankee.com that could be helpful for your application to live in the UK.

You don't have to marry in order to settle in the UK, you just have to enter a civil partnership with him. As it currently stands you will have to marry in order for him to move to the US, and you seem to understand that already. You clearly have your head screwed on, so none of this should be a problem for you to navigate.

Welcome to BE, and good luck!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
OMG ..Oh to be young again ...

still think he would be better off finishing his education
first though.. A 3 week vacation with someone is not
that revealing
We both agree that he needs to finish school, which is why I'm also considering going over there.

And no, a 3 week vacation isn't that revealing in itself, but when combined with about 2 hours on the phone every day pretty much since we first met, and countless hours IMing, it's certainly more promising. Not to mention that he'll be out here again with me in just over a month
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Are you at college too?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Are you at college too?
No. I work in admin.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:11 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

And no, a 3 week vacation isn't that revealing in itself, but when combined with about 2 hours on the phone every day pretty much since we first met, and countless hours IMing, it's certainly more promising. Not to mention that he'll be out here again with me in just over a month
Have you been to the UK to visit him yet, meet his family and friends, experienced British culture/food, etc? I think that's the natural next step for you, before you make any permanent plans on marriage. It's one thing to chat/phone for hours every day, but quite another to see him in his regular environment at home. I speak from experience on this.

Also, if you have a lot of debt already at age 22/23, you should really focus on paying that off before you take the marriage plunge. I had debt before Mark and I married and I would do anything now to go back and pay it off when I still had the chance. Immigration is expensive, not to mention having to survive on one income for several months before the foreign fiance can get work authorization. Just something to think about.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:31 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

We both agree that he needs to finish school, which is why I'm also considering going over there.

My fiance is british and i am american...i met my fiance on xbox live playing a video game...it took me 6 months to get up the nerve to go visit him for 5 weeks and it was even more nerve to be seperated again for almost a year again before visiting back to the UK.... We now have a son together and he has visted america for 88 days. We both know how much we love the other country.

I will say this though, a 3 week vay cay really isnt a big eye opener, James and I have broken up twice is 2 1.2 yrs because of the distance, we too also used im and chatted on the phone...we spend upwards of 8-10 hrs a day with one another... i dont want to say you are jumping the gun but take it one step at a time. a year ago, i would have told you I still wasnt ready to handle a long distance relationshitp... but today, i can say I am mature enough and capable of dealing with most of the emotions associated with this ordeal.

We are now waiting for his visa interview after applying in july 08... so it is a long process that you will want to think long and hard about before you sink money into something this serious only to have it fall apart before your eyes.

Good luck with whichever route you choose...

what part of the uk is he from? my fiance is northern which suited my style better... Even though england is a small country, it is as diverse as america... i suggest you visit and learn about the country and people your man is from so that you are not going in blind...sure its "just england" but it can be a huge culture shock... it was for me... and america was a wild place for him...for us though, we both love the other ones country
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I met my boyfriend on the internet about 4 months ago...
... and now you want to marry? Very amusing! You already have "A LOT of debt" and you are looking for your parents to be joint sponsors? Are you working? Where did all the debt come from? Being heavily in debt is not the best way to start a relationship, let alone a marriage. If your parents haven't bailed you out yet, why would they consider joint sponsorship for a boy they barely know? They could end up being financially responsible for him for the rest of their lives! Have you fully thought this through yet?

From where I sit - and I'll be the first to admit this is none of my business and you're free to do what you want - it doesn't sound like you're making very good choices at this point in time.

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:27 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
... and now you want to marry? Very amusing! You already have "A LOT of debt" and you are looking for your parents to be joint sponsors? Are you working? Where did all the debt come from? Being heavily in debt is not the best way to start a relationship, let alone a marriage. If your parents haven't bailed you out yet, why would they consider joint sponsorship for a boy they barely know? They could end up being financially responsible for him for the rest of their lives! Have you fully thought this through yet?

From where I sit - and I'll be the first to admit this is none of my business and you're free to do what you want - it doesn't sound like you're making very good choices at this point in time.

Ian
That sounded very fatherly lol and i have to agree with you...I know its almost biased as my fiance and i met and communicated the same ways and barely have spent copious amounts of time together...but i think the 5 months total that we were granted over the past 2 1/2 yrs is suffice to know whether or not we could reside with one another and be a family ( helps that the baby came along too! )

My best advice to the OP is patience, lots of it. If you truly love one another, you can and will wait until the time is right and only the 2 of you can know when that will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.