Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

we messed up big time... oh dear lol.

Wikiposts

we messed up big time... oh dear lol.

Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we messed up big time... oh dear lol.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm guessing you did not apply for the Advance Parole document (form I-131), when you applied for your AOS?

And even 10 months after filing AOS you still have not had your AOS interview?

Sorry, I didn't read your prevoius threads.

Rene
Wouldn't they tell me of a ban when I had come back to the UK though?
And they didn't stamp anything in my passport, wouldn't they have done that?
Also, I was under the impression that if you applied for AOS soon after arriving in the US, they didn't ban?
And yes I think I had applied last time for the I-131. Not that it would be any good now, 15 months later.
ACK, so I really might have shot myself in the foot then!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 12:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, because you didn't go through customs on the way out.

As for the ban, there are two schools of thought. One is that you were in status while the I-485 was pending and therefore no overstay and the other is that since the I-485 was not adjudicated, the pending I-485 time is considered overstay.

Have hubby check with an immigration attorney to find out for certain.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

As for the ban, there are two schools of thought. One is that you were in status while the I-485 was pending and therefore no overstay and the other is that since the I-485 was not adjudicated, the pending I-485 time is considered overstay.

Have hubby check with an immigration attorney to find out for certain.
Hmm ok, will do. Thanks for that
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I just thought of another question, does anyone know if I could contact US immigration and if they could tell me outright if i have a ban or not?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:15 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

She didn't go through immigration, either.

Originally Posted by Rete
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
I just thought of another question, does anyone know if I could contact US immigration and if they could tell me outright if i have a ban or not?
Probably not.

I know it's too late now, but I'm still wondering why, if you applied for the AP with your AOS package, you still had not received it after 10 months of waiting! The AP is usually the first thing that comes to you, about 30 - 60 days after filing!

And I assume you never got an interview date, either? They wouldn't have known you left the country if you hadn't notified NVC or anyone....so they would have continued processing everything.

The fact that you didn't get your AP, (did you get your EAD?) or your interview letter at all, just makes me think your whole application package got lost somewhere.

Rene
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is to contact a qualified immigration attorney (it has been established in the courts that you can't rely on something a government employee tells you). By the way, I thought you didn't care about getting a ban.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:23 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I would get hubby to call the 1800 line...yes I know it can be a waste of time but at least they can tell him where the AOS is at, at the moment if anywhere.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Probably not.

I know it's too late now, but I'm still wondering why, if you applied for the AP with your AOS package, you still had not received it after 10 months of waiting! The AP is usually the first thing that comes to you, about 30 - 60 days after filing!

And I assume you never got an interview date, either? They wouldn't have known you left the country if you hadn't notified NVC or anyone....so they would have continued processing everything.

The fact that you didn't get your AP, (did you get your EAD?) or your interview letter at all, just makes me think your whole application package got lost somewhere.

Rene
I did get my AP. I didn't use it though, because I abandoned my application to come back to the UK. I got my EAD yes, because I had been working in the US. I got my interview date once I arrived back in the UK, my husband told me of it.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marocco
Your best bet is to contact a qualified immigration attorney (it has been established in the courts that you can't rely on something a government employee tells you). By the way, I thought you didn't care about getting a ban.
LOL, I didn't at the time, but now I do!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I would get hubby to call the 1800 line...yes I know it can be a waste of time but at least they can tell him where the AOS is at, at the moment if anywhere.
Well it did get denied in the end, because I hadn't attended the interview
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I did get my AP. I didn't use it though, because I abandoned my application to come back to the UK. I got my EAD yes, because I had been working in the US. I got my interview date once I arrived back in the UK, my husband told me of it.
Oh, OK. For some reason I was under the impression you never received any of those things. Thanks for the clarification.

Rene
Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:24 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well it did get denied in the end, because I hadn't attended the interview
Sorry my bad, I meant call and enquire with the 1800 folk if they have any info on file re the ban!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, tricky situation now Emma. Keep us posted with what happens.

You've got no choice but to get a lawyer involved, methinks.

Does hubby still have his US job?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Wow, tricky situation now Emma. Keep us posted with what happens.

You've got no choice but to get a lawyer involved, methinks.

Does hubby still have his US job?
He got fired from his last job, yes everything just seemed to hit the fan at once. So he moved in with his parents in Kansas, and he found another job. Now he is earning enough to sponsor me, but would they accept that he's still living with his parents? They have said I'm welcome to live there anytime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.