Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

We got married! Now what?

We got married! Now what?

Old Jul 15th 2020, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

MtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We got married! Now what?

Yeah... I'm in the same situation as petepete99.... How the heck do I provide evidence of English Language proficiency ? Best I can think of is that I passed English Language O level (1982 I think...), but no idea where the certificate ever got to !
Old Jul 15th 2020, 2:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You could write a statement with the "magic language" that attests and certifies that you are a native English speaker, and that you are fluent in English. Search this forum for "magic language". This is what others (including me) have done when translating documents.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2020, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You could write a statement with the "magic language" that attests and certifies that you are a native English speaker, and that you are fluent in English. Search this forum for "magic language". This is what others (including me) have done when translating documents.

Rene
I did a quick search in the forums and it seems that you and Pulaski debated over the weight of this in front (or not) of a notary. Would that apply here, do you think?

Last edited by petepete99; Jul 15th 2020 at 2:50 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When the correct magic language is used, it does not need to be notarized.

A notary does not attest to the truthfulness of the document, anyway. They are just attesting that you are who you say you are when you sign it .

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

A notary does not attest to the truthfulness of the document, anyway. They are just attesting that you are who you say you are when you sign it .

Rene

Just to add to that in NY (and imagine that is virtually the same in most states) a notary can attest to having seen the original document and that the copy they are notarized is an exact copy of the original.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about this form as you do have a financial sponsor (your spouse). Just complete it as factually and as truthfully as you can.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 6:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
There are two different notarial acts: jurat and acknowledgement.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 8:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Just to add to that in NY (and imagine that is virtually the same in most states) a notary can attest to having seen the original document and that the copy they are notarized is an exact copy of the original.
Hi:

I assume it was a typo, but you put in “can” rather than “cannot” in regards New York law. But the law does vary from state to state as per this article National Notarial Association.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 4:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, it is not a typo. When we did our K-1 and AOS apps, my notary attested to the copies of documents being exact copies of the originals shown to them. I used two different notaries from our law office. One was an senior partner and one was a senior paralegal.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 5:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No, it is not a typo. When we did our K-1 and AOS apps, my notary attested to the copies of documents being exact copies of the originals shown to them. I used two different notaries from our law office. One was an senior partner and one was a senior paralegal.
When, per Folinsky Esq's link, certifying the accuracy of the copy isn't legal in NY, how/ why did they make such a certification?
Old Jul 16th 2020, 8:09 pm
Concierge

22 years ago.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:27 pm
BE Commentator

22 years ago.
I was curious because when I had a California notary commission, we were not allowed to certify copies. So, I looked it up.

When I was a baby in immigration practice, there was an immigration regulation which allowed attorneys to certify copies. We had rubber stamps with the certification, our name, state of admission and address with a signature line. This was changed in the mid-80’s to allow plain photocopies if prepared to produce the original on request.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully you will not need it but be aware of the expedite option for ead and ap.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 7:34 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by petepete99
And another, wider question is whether there is any value in hiring an immigration attorney or going with a popular online firm like Boundless? I recall a few people saying that with our case, it's not really worth it and we could save ourselves the best part of a grand and do it ourselves. Any thoughts?
I like your use of the word “value.” That is a subjective determination for you to make. Many people can and do it themselves

My late colleague, Phil Karlin, once described the lawyer’s function as an “insurance policy.” I’ve always liked hat analogy. A person may be the most prudent skilled driver but will still pay those premiums. Is that good “value?” I know that immigration is a legal mine field. We see what happens when a case goes south.

Is there “value” to peace of mind?

I looked up Boundless. I am not familiar with them. I find the program of interest. I have some questions regarding the rules governing the legal profession. But my questions do not relate to the quality of their services or it’s value to you.

BTW, I think there is “value” to having an attorney present at the interview.

Old Jul 17th 2020, 10:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I like your use of the word “value.” That is a subjective determination for you to make. Many people can and do it themselves

My late colleague, Phil Karlin, once described the lawyer’s function as an “insurance policy.” I’ve always liked hat analogy. A person may be the most prudent skilled driver but will still pay those premiums. Is that good “value?” I know that immigration is a legal mine field. We see what happens when a case goes south.

Is there “value” to peace of mind? .....
Personally I find "peace of mind" incompleting the fairly basic forms myself, rather than supplying the same information to lawyer, with same risk of errors, and then paying a lawyer to have their clerk transfer the data to another form where there is additional risk of errors being made. But maybe that's just me.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Hopefully you will not need it but be aware of the expedite option for ead and ap.
Can you tell me more about this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.