British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   We Got 2 AP's - Husband Left Yesterday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/we-got-2-aps-husband-left-yesterday-196970/)

janadeen Dec 15th 2003 5:32 pm

We Got 2 AP's - Husband Left Yesterday

Husband left on a flite from JFK yesterday as he had to rush to his country for a funeral.

We're fortunate his advance parole papers came in the mail last month!

Here's the thing - when the AP came, it came in an envelope with 2. There's 2 originals of the exact same document - all his pertinent info, his photo at the bottom, yadda, yadda, yadda. Yesterday, I gave him one to travel with but when I woke up this morning, I wondered if he would need the 2 of them to come back into the U.S. There's no directions or anything with the AP so we're not precisely sure how it's supposed to be used. I called the USCIS info line and got 3 different answers from 3 different people.

- I don't know
- he wont need both papers
- he might need both papers

The fourth time I called, the lady told me that the NEVER send out 2 AP's.

My thought was to Fed Ex down the 2nd AP paper down to him just to be safe - but it costs, literally, $112 to Fed Ex it down to him. If I can avoid shelling out $112, I'd like to know - you know how it is with all the expenses; funeral, rush airline ticket, Christmas! Agh!

Can anyone tell me:

1. when you got AP documentation, did you get 2
2. when you used the AP, did the officer at the POE asked for 2 or was just 1 sufficient
3. what exactly is the process at the POE, is he supposed to get the AP back in his hands

Much appreciated guys - thanks

Pallyn Dec 15th 2003 5:40 pm

Re: We Got 2 AP's - Husband Left Yesterday

2. when you used the AP, did the officer at the POE asked for 2 or was just 1 sufficient
3. what exactly is the process at the POE, is he supposed to get the AP back in his hands

Much appreciated guys - thanks [/QUOTE]

1) My husband got one AP with multiple pages
2) The officer at POE took one page and returned the others. He only used the AP once, so I don't know how it would work with multiple entries.
My take on this is that Fedex is cheaper than filing for a spousal visa. I would send the rest of the pages.

Rete Dec 15th 2003 6:01 pm

Originally posted by Pallyn

1) My husband got one AP with multiple pages
2) The officer at POE took one page and returned the others. He only used the AP once, so I don't know how it would work with multiple entries.
My take on this is that Fedex is cheaper than filing for a spousal visa. I would send the rest of the pages. [/QUOTE]

Same here. Did you get two with multiple copies or just "two".

One will be retained at the POE (usually) the other will be stamped, I-94's and written on for future use.

Rete

Carl Dec 15th 2003 8:15 pm

Originally posted by janadeen
Husband left on a flite from JFK yesterday as he had to rush to his country for a funeral.

We're fortunate his advance parole papers came in the mail last month!

Here's the thing - when the AP came, it came in an envelope with 2. There's 2 originals of the exact same document - all his pertinent info, his photo at the bottom, yadda, yadda, yadda. Yesterday, I gave him one to travel with but when I woke up this morning, I wondered if he would need the 2 of them to come back into the U.S. There's no directions or anything with the AP so we're not precisely sure how it's supposed to be used. I called the USCIS info line and got 3 different answers from 3 different people.

- I don't know
- he wont need both papers
- he might need both papers

The fourth time I called, the lady told me that the NEVER send out 2 AP's.

My thought was to Fed Ex down the 2nd AP paper down to him just to be safe - but it costs, literally, $112 to Fed Ex it down to him. If I can avoid shelling out $112, I'd like to know - you know how it is with all the expenses; funeral, rush airline ticket, Christmas! Agh!

Can anyone tell me:

Your AP should have 3 pages. Actually 4 with the cover page.

1 is for the carrier - they usually don't take it because they don't know what to do with AP.
2 are for your reentry. We used it twice and never had anyone keep any of the copies. They both got stamped, along with an I-94. That's not to say that they weren't supposed to keep one. People don't seem to know what to do with AP.

I would say, you should send it to him.

Rete Dec 15th 2003 10:23 pm

Originally posted by Carl
Your AP should have 3 pages. Actually 4 with the cover page.

I would say, you should send it to him.
Not true of all district offices. NYC USCIS only gives two sheets (not counting the covering letter).

Been there twice.

Rete

janadeen Dec 15th 2003 10:51 pm

Maybe things are changing constantly because his AP had

-no cover letter
-only 2 seperate pieces of paper were in the envelope

And that was just the 2 pages of the AP document - 2 originals - both saying the exact same thing. Just as you noted Rete, those 2 sheets of paper.

Indeed, I've already decided to find the 100 +$ from somewhere and Fed Ex it to him.

I was just wondering/hoping if there was someone else out there who'd gotten AP documents in the same manner we did.

Thanks much all.

Originally posted by Rete
Not true of all district offices. NYC USCIS only gives two sheets (not counting the covering letter).

Been there twice.

Rete

Rete Dec 15th 2003 11:29 pm

When is he due to return? Does it have to be via fedex? And why so much? Of course I don't know the country he is in but that unless it is some third world country that seems exorbitant.

We never got cover sheets because they had to be picked up at 26 Fed Plaza. But do know that for NYC back then both sheets were identical with photo. I'm assuming here yours were mailed.

I have photocopies of the A/Ps and although you can look up his experiences, I know that both times when the A/Ps were initially processed the agent keyed in the info into the computer database, placed an I-94 on the lower left hand corner, wrote in the pertinent info, i.e. parole indef, status pending AOS, etc. They kept one there and Jim left with the second in hand and future use until its expiration date.

Good luck

Rete

Originally posted by janadeen
Maybe things are changing constantly because his AP had

-no cover letter
-only 2 seperate pieces of paper were in the envelope

And that was just the 2 pages of the AP document - 2 originals - both saying the exact same thing. Just as you noted Rete, those 2 sheets of paper.

Indeed, I've already decided to find the 100 +$ from somewhere and Fed Ex it to him.

I was just wondering/hoping if there was someone else out there who'd gotten AP documents in the same manner we did.

Thanks much all.

SecretGarden Dec 15th 2003 11:36 pm

Does it have to be via fedex? And why so much? Of course I don't know the country he is in but that unless it is some third world country that seems exorbitant.

Hiya Rete,
Just as an aside, I'm becoming quite versed in the art of international shipping and if you want something trackable once it leaves the US, your choices are limited, and extremely expensive, even if not going for the *fastest* delivery time.

For example, I just shipped a small box (2 pounds) to Mr. P which contained my I134, and it cost me $72.33 to ship it to England from Illinois. :(

~SecretGarden

P.S. Don't even get me started on the box which had the Christmas presents in it and almost weighed 40 pounds.....:)

mrpink Dec 15th 2003 11:54 pm

Originally posted by SecretGarden

P.S. Don't even get me started on the box which had the Christmas presents in it and almost weighed 40 pounds.....:)
Or the one I sent which weighed 88 pounds and contained mostly clothes and CDs... It would have been cheaper to fly out with it as hand luggage!

*sigh*

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~the whole world in a suitcase

sibsie Dec 16th 2003 12:00 am

I couried out my papers to Steve. I could have just handed them to him when he was here, but being paranoid I had visions of him being robbed at the airport or losing them en route. (Another friend from the US got robbed in Madrid on her way back in summer hence my over the topness)

It cost me $60 to send one A4 envelope with my birth cert, and other papers. :(

Sending a small paperback via regular mail from here to the US costs me around $30.

janadeen Dec 16th 2003 12:08 am

Trust me - there's precious little that I don't know about shipping and mailing things to his homeland - that's the true cost sadly. (weeping as I type) And as 'Secret Garden' can relate, it's not exhorbitant at all in these cases - that's what they charge to deliver to where he's located. (think very rural) It makes no sense to send it by any other method because when it gets there, a woman will be president of the U.S.A.

Thanks everyone!

When is he due to return? Does it have to be via fedex? And why so much? Of course I don't know the country he is in but that unless it is some third world country that seems exorbitant.

We never got cover sheets because they had to be picked up at 26 Fed Plaza. But do know that for NYC back then both sheets were identical with photo. I'm assuming here yours were mailed.

I have photocopies of the A/Ps and although you can look up his experiences, I know that both times when the A/Ps were initially processed the agent keyed in the info into the computer database, placed an I-94 on the lower left hand corner, wrote in the pertinent info, i.e. parole indef, status pending AOS, etc. They kept one there and Jim left with the second in hand and future use until its expiration date.

Good luck

Rete