British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Which way is best??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/way-best-129570/)

Shmily Jan 29th 2003 9:05 am

Which way is best???

I live in the US. My fiance lives in the UK and visits me in the US. I heard it is best to marry him in the UK (or country other thatn US) and then come to the US to live. Can someone please help with this? I do not want to be separated from him while waiting for papers, etc.?
Thanks!

meauxna Jan 29th 2003 9:18 am

Re: Which way is best???

Originally posted by Shmily
I live in the US. My fiance lives in the UK and visits me in the US. I heard it is best to marry him in the UK (or country other thatn US) and then come to the US to live. Can someone please help with this? I do not want to be separated from him while waiting for papers, etc.?
Thanks!
I have a ten-foot pole 'down the garage'. Anyone want to borrow it?

Shmily, here's the FAQ for the group, which will help you get started.
http://www.k1faq.com/

Shmily Jan 29th 2003 9:57 am

thanks for the link. I'll keep looking...
Any other advice will be appreciated.

jeninifer Jan 29th 2003 10:01 am

Thanks!
There are many posts floating around about these very topics. If you dig - you will find them.

Perhaps one of our fine attorneys will answer your post with some professional information.

Folinskyinla Jan 29th 2003 10:41 am

Thanks!
Hi:

What is your defintion of "best"???

If your interest is to process as quickly as you can and be with him during the who process, I would suggest you start either the K-1 process [get married in US], or the I-130/K-3 process [get married in UK]. In order to be with him while the case is pending, you should stay in the UK with him.

Ranjini Jan 29th 2003 11:15 am

Thanks!
Here is another link you should read. It outlines all the options available to you:
http://k1.exit.com/spouse1.html

Ranjini Jan 29th 2003 11:23 am

Originally posted by Ranjini
Here is another link you should read. It outlines all the options available to you:
http://k1.exit.com/spouse1.html
This link will give you more useful information:
http://www.kamya.com/intro/index.html

Rete Jan 29th 2003 11:32 am

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

What is your defintion of "best"???

If your interest is to process as quickly as you can and be with him during the who process, I would suggest you start either the K-1 process [get married in US], or the I-130/K-3 process [get married in UK]. In order to be with him while the case is pending, you should stay in the UK with him.
Or have your fiancee come to England, get married, apply for her legal residency in the UK and then from there do Direct Consular Filing. You will be together the whole time.

Or come to the US, get married, walk into the British Consulate, apply for her legal residency in the UK, leave on the next plane back to the UK and after a month or so have her do the DCF for your residency in the US.

Rete

Rete Jan 29th 2003 12:29 pm

In response to your message ... the UK is on the list for DCF

IF...................

The USC has legal residency in the UK. It is a simple matter for you to obtain permission for her to legally reside in the UK with you by just marrying and applying at the British Consulate. Approval is usually the very same day as application. She goes with you to the UK, lives there for about a month, decides she doesn't like the weather, food, language, whatever, and goes to the US Consulate and starts the paperwork to you residency in the US.

I do know what I'm talking about. This is a matter of reading the information on your country's immigration policies, the US immigration policies, the US Consulate's and the British Consulate's policy and then adding the mess together and you come up with a neat little package on how to use the system legally with no separation and little fuss and bother.

Rete

meauxna Jan 29th 2003 12:52 pm

Originally posted by Rete
The USC has legal residency in the UK. It is a simple matter for you to obtain permission for her to legally reside in the UK with you by just marrying and applying at the British Consulate. Approval is usually the very same day as application. She goes with you to the UK, lives there for about a month, decides she doesn't like the weather, food, language, whatever, and goes to the US Consulate and starts the paperwork to you residency in the US.

Rete
Rete, in the interest of my education...is it just enough to have Perm Leave to Remain, or do they need that PLUS *six* months of residency?

No, I don't care enough to go look it up ;) I know *one* of the smarty pants around here will know.
mo
:)

Rete Jan 29th 2003 1:02 pm

Originally posted by meauxna
Rete, in the interest of my education...is it just enough to have Perm Leave to Remain, or do they need that PLUS *six* months of residency?

No, I don't care enough to go look it up ;) I know *one* of the smarty pants around here will know.
mo
:)
Excellent point ;-)

Surely one of the many UK'ers might have the answer to that very question. Perhaps Roger or Patrick (although Patrick's wife apparently resided there quite a while) but I know Roger's wife didn't before she become homesick and wanted to return to the US.

Also suppose the timeline would a US Consulate requirement and not a UK requirement since the US Consulate is the one that deems that only USC with permanent leave to remain in the UK are eligible to apply for direct consular filings.

Rete

Shmily Jan 29th 2003 2:52 pm

Sorry, I'm new....what is USC? :confused:

Linda & Eric Jan 29th 2003 3:02 pm

Shmily,

USC= United States Citizen

Shmily Jan 29th 2003 3:05 pm

silly me......thanks! I have to add this , just thought it was funny! :PARTY:

Caro Jan 29th 2003 4:57 pm

Originally posted by Rete
Also suppose the timeline would a US Consulate requirement and not a UK requirement since the US Consulate is the one that deems that only USC with permanent leave to remain in the UK are eligible to apply for direct consular filings.
In case that helps, in France, I *think* it is 90 days.

Caroline