Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

want to move husband to USA...help!!

Wikiposts

want to move husband to USA...help!!

Old Sep 14th 2003, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

lexelf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default want to move husband to USA...help!!

Hi all!!! Well, my husband is a UK citizen and i'm a USA citizen. We were married in the USA in June and I received my spousal visa to live in the UK...unfortunately, I WANT TO MOVE BACK HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband, being the WONDERFUL man that he is, agreed to move back to please me. We have a few questions, however...

1: We're quite young (I'm 19, he's 18) so we'd move back with my parents and I would get my old jobs back and attend college, as he would hopefully be able to do also...will this affect our application much?? EG: We would be relying on my parents. Can we do that??

2: How long would it take for the process to go through? I'm from Wisconsin originally....and I hear that every state is different or some such...i'm confused.

3: Do I fill out the forms or should my parents, since technically they will be supporting us??

4: Which forms do we need?? I believe we need the I-130.....

5: I live in the UK and am not willing to leave my husband behind unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. How will this affect our application process??

6: what's this about a Nonimmigrant visa?? Could we apply for one of those and both of us go back to the USA to wait for the other one to go through??

Basically my goal is to get to the USA with him in a years time or less....is that possible?

Sorry if these questions have been asked at length before, but I've been searching and found many people who are fiance's and want to immigrate, but nothing about immigrating once, changing your mind, and wanting to high-tail it back home again

thanks so much everyone!!

-alexis and dan

Last edited by lexelf; Sep 14th 2003 at 8:29 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 10:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to move husband to USA...help!!

Originally posted by lexelf
Hi all!!! Well, my husband is a UK citizen and i'm a USA citizen. We were married in the USA in June and I received my spousal visa to live in the UK...unfortunately, I WANT TO MOVE BACK HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband, being the WONDERFUL man that he is, agreed to move back to please me. We have a few questions, however...

1: We're quite young (I'm 19, he's 18) so we'd move back with my parents and I would get my old jobs back and attend college, as he would hopefully be able to do also...will this affect our application much?? EG: We would be relying on my parents. Can we do that??

2: How long would it take for the process to go through? I'm from Wisconsin originally....and I hear that every state is different or some such...i'm confused.

3: Do I fill out the forms or should my parents, since technically they will be supporting us??

4: Which forms do we need?? I believe we need the I-130.....

5: I live in the UK and am not willing to leave my husband behind unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. How will this affect our application process??

6: what's this about a Nonimmigrant visa?? Could we apply for one of those and both of us go back to the USA to wait for the other one to go through??

Basically my goal is to get to the USA with him in a years time or less....is that possible?

Sorry if these questions have been asked at length before, but I've been searching and found many people who are fiance's and want to immigrate, but nothing about immigrating once, changing your mind, and wanting to high-tail it back home again

thanks so much everyone!!

-alexis and dan

DCF is an option available to you since you are married and living in the UK. There are folks here who have done that and can advise. The other thing you can do is a thread search on the forum for that procedure.
Best of luck
Old Sep 14th 2003, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Default more of my droning on...

ooook, i've been doing more research and i've found this out (please correct if i'm wrong )

1: I need to fill out I-130 forms and send them to the service centre in Nebraska (since i'm originally from WI)

2: I get receipt from them which I then send to the Chicago Centre along with I-129F forms for K3 visa

3: They send it to Nebraska Center (since i'm from WI) and if it's approved they forward it to foreign US consulate

4: Consulate sends hubby packet #3, he gets medical exam, police cert, and other such documents...gets interview scheduled

5: Hubby receives K3 at interview, enters US as K3 visa holder, applies for adjustment of status??

but why would he apply for adjustment of status if the I-130 is already in waiting for approval?? Also, since I have a spousal visa and currently am in the UK, should I send the forms to the London place or the Nebraska place?? I'm not a UK citizen, i just have the visa.

Should I move back to the USA first?? Ahhhhh!!!! I just want the easiest (HA, I know, not likely) route through all this so we can be together in the USA.

Where's a lawyer when you need one....oy!

Also, anyone know where I can get these forms?? Every website I've found that gives them for free puts black bars in the areas you're supposed to fill out...help!

-alexis 'n dan
Old Sep 14th 2003, 11:04 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cindyabs
DCF is an option available to you since you are married and living in the UK. There are folks here who have done that and can advise. The other thing you can do is a thread search on the forum for that procedure.
Best of luck
DCF is Direct Consular Filing-that is an option open to you because you are living in the UK. It is NOT the same as the 130 and K3 procedure. It also means you won't have to be seperated!~ That means dealing with the US Embassy in London. They have a website that has plenty of good information as well as forms. They can also be emailed and are fairly quick with their responses, which beats calling them and paying a pretty steep price for a per minute call to a call center in Scotland.
Any forms you need are available on theirs or any government website. They are free and often fillable online.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

i just went to a site that's linked here and it said the UK doesn't participate in that

and I can't find the official London Consular or whatever it is I need's website or e-mail....gahhhhhhh sorry to be such a pain

-alexis

Last edited by lexelf; Sep 14th 2003 at 11:32 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 11:49 pm
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

i just went to a site that's linked here and it said the UK doesn't participate in that

and I can't find the official London Consular or whatever it is I need's website or e-mail....gahhhhhhh sorry to be such a pain
-alexis
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/
Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Default do i need to prove support??

I figure since the DCF is probably out I'll try for his I-130 first and then for his I-129F...

Since I live with him now and currently don't have much money to my name, are there any forms I should be sending along with the others stating proof of my parent's agreement to help us?? I know he'll get declined if they think he'll be a recourse to public funds at all.

I heard something about a I-864/I-864A...Is this anything I should be concerned about??

Thanks again for all the help

-alexis
Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:47 am
Denis

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:19:14 +0000, lexelf
<[email protected]> wrote:

>i just went to a site that's linked here and it said the UK doesn't
    >participate in that
    >and I can't find the official London Consular or whatever it is I need's
    >website or e-mail....gahhhhhhh sorry to be such a pain
    >-alexis
Take a look here :-

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/ins/i130filing.htm

--
Denis

I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in
my nose.

Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:53 am
Andy Platt

"lexelf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > i just went to a site that's linked here and it said the UK doesn't
    > participate in that

Depending on your definition of "live in the UK" they do. Basically if you
have permanent leave to remain they will allow you to file DCF. For other
longterm visas (student, etc.) it's certainly worth contacting them and
seeing if they will allow you to file there. If you are just there on a
regular six-month tourist entry then no, they don't support that.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:57 am
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I recall seeing on this forum I think it may be possible to do DCF in London. That would be your best option if you can do it.

I just did a search in Google. Go to http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...marriage-based

John
Old Sep 15th 2003, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Denis
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:19:14 +0000, lexelf
<[email protected]> wrote:

>i just went to a site that's linked here and it said the UK doesn't
    >participate in that
    >and I can't find the official London Consular or whatever it is I need's
    >website or e-mail....gahhhhhhh sorry to be such a pain
    >-alexis
Take a look here :-

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/ins/i130filing.htm

--
Denis

I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in
my nose.

the bit i don't get on that site is

"Supporting Documentation: Attach all required documentation for each petition. Photocopies of required documentation are acceptable and are preferred. If you choose to submit originals instead of copies, the originals will not be returned to you. U.S. Military personnel should include a copy of their orders. A military I.D. card is not acceptable proof that you are a U.S. citizen."

I don't understand what copies they're looking for!! I'm especially nervous i'll leave something important out....

-alexis
Old Sep 15th 2003, 1:28 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do i need to prove support??

I figure since the DCF is probably out I'll try for his I-130 first and then for his I-129F...
Hi there,
the I129F is only applicable if he is your fiance. You're already married, so you can't do the fiance visa

Juliet
Old Sep 15th 2003, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jcapulet
Hi there,
the I129F is only applicable if he is your fiance. You're already married, so you can't do the fiance visa

Juliet
it's been said a few times that the I-129F is in lue of there being no form for the K3 visa at the moment....

is that right?? I thought I was supposed to send the I-129F in to apply for the K3 for him....

also, I got a list of things I need to send in along with my I-130...PLEASE tell me if this is right:

1- copy of my birth certificate (not photocopied) and photocopy of my passport
2- same for hubby
3- copy of marriage certificate
4- 2 G-325a's for each of us
5- 2 ADIT style photos each

The G-325a's are 4 pages in length!! Are we supposed to send 8 pages total (4 pages each) or just 4 pages total (2 pages each)?? Also, should we be worrying about affidavit of support??

as far as passport photos go, what EXACTLY should we be photocopying??

thanks again, everyone GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!! this is stresssssss..... :P

-alexis
Old Sep 15th 2003, 2:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jcapulet
Hi there,

Juliet

No it isn't Juliet. The I-129F is also used for the K-3 until they come up with a new form.

Rete
Old Sep 15th 2003, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I live with him now and currently don't have much money to my name, are there any forms I should be sending along with the others stating proof of my parent's agreement to help us?? I know he'll get declined if they think he'll be a recourse to public funds at all.

I heard something about a I-864/I-864A...Is this anything I should be concerned about??

Thanks again for all the help

-alexis
Hi:

DCF ***IS*** an option for you. The regulation allow this for ALL consulates. However, many people want to EXTEND beyond the regulations when the AmCit spouse lives in the United States.

That is the KEY difference here -- YOU, the AmCit RESIDE in the UK. In fact, London MUST take your case and consider it for DCF.

As for the support issues, it looks like your parents will have to be joint sponsors on the I-864. But it can be done.

Do NOT rule out DCF -- remember, you RESIDE in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.