Want to get married in UK and then live in US

Wikiposts

Want to get married in UK and then live in US

Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Us_soldier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to get married in UK and then live in US

OK here's the deal

I'm in love with a UK woman. We have decided to get engaged. We want to live in America. The problem is... we want to know if it is possible to get married in england and then move back to the US. Has anyone out there done this? Is there any way around having to wait a long time before she can move back to the states after the ceremony? Please help
Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:39 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to get married in UK and then live in US

Originally Posted by Us_soldier
OK here's the deal

I'm in love with a UK woman. We have decided to get engaged. We want to live in America. The problem is... we want to know if it is possible to get married in england and then move back to the US. Has anyone out there done this? Is there any way around having to wait a long time before she can move back to the states after the ceremony? Please help

1000's of people have. have a look at the FAQ part of this site you will find all of the answers you need.

alan
Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way around having to wait a long time before she can move back to the states after the ceremony?
Yes. You move there temporarily and have a status other than 'tourist'.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If your a USC, it isn't a problem, many routes, K1 for fiance, but if you get married, K3, and if your a resident at the mo in blighty, there's DCF, consular filing, but I don't really know how that works, but the faq's at the root of this forum are a great place to start looking at your options.

Goodluck and welcome to the site
Old Oct 24th 2004, 12:07 pm
Jadm

Us_soldier <member31032@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > OK here's the deal ;)
    >
    > I'm in love with a UK woman. We have decided to get engaged. We want
    > to live in America. The problem is... we want to know if it is
    > possible to get married in england and then move back to the US. Has
    > anyone out there done this? Is there any way around having to wait a
    > long time before she can move back to the states after the ceremony?
    > Please help :(

Im married to a UK man x almost 4yrs now, its my understanding if you
marry in the UK (we are in the states) that you will have to come back
here and petition for her, very time consuming and long wait-you will
be apart, whynot get married here in the states? or maybe marry in the
UK and reside there?
My UK hub and I married while he was here on the visa waiver which in
our case went fine, tho i do recommend doing a K-1 instead possibly.
marrying here while a UK citizen is on a VW is quite easy and quicker.
(ppl here will bash me now im sure)
thats our experience anyways.
I will tell you after my UK sweetie being in the states now almost 4
yrs (we just had his conditional status removed) he would rather be
back THERE..lol
g'luck to you both :)
Maine

Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

OK here's the deal

Hi, can you give us a little more info and we may be able to tell what your options are for getting your future wife to the US. From your userid, it would appear that you are a US soldier? Are you stationed in the UK? Do you know if you have residency status in the UK?

If you have residency status in the UK, you have an option that few of us US citizens have. If you have residency status (or Leave to Remain) you can marry your sweetie in the UK and then file the paperwork for the CR-1 visa directly with the US Consulate in London. This is usually around 3-6 months (I think) to get approved and then once your then wife enters the US, she will have a Permanent Residency and qualify to work immediately.

However, if you do not have UK Residency, then you have 2 options:
1) Do not marry in the UK. You file for the K1 Fiance visa to bring your fiance here.
2) Marry your fiance (either in the UK or the US) and then begin the K3 Spousal Visa process to bring your fiance to the US. Note: if you marry in the US, your then wife will need to return to the UK for a K3.

Any other questions, just ask away!

Cheers,
Jamie

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Oct 25th 2004 at 2:09 am.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:11 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If your a USC, it isn't a problem, many routes, K1 for fiance, but if you get married, K3, and if your a resident at the mo in blighty, there's DCF, consular filing, but I don't really know how that works, but the faq's at the root of this forum are a great place to start looking at your options.

Goodluck and welcome to the site
He can't do DCF because you need to be a US Citizen with Immediate Leave To Remain in the UK in order to do DCF.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
He can't do DCF because you need to be a US Citizen with Immediate Leave To Remain in the UK in order to do DCF.
You're right, except it's "indefinite leave to remain." And I am feeling like a pedantic shit today after trying to get an interim ead and being turned away from the Norfolk office for not having an appointment.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
You're right, except it's "indefinite leave to remain." And I am feeling like a pedantic shit today after trying to get an interim ead and being turned away from the Norfolk office for not having an appointment.
That sucks

And I wasn't exactly sure bout the DCF, but only put it up as a possibilty...
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:52 am
L D Jones

CalgaryAMC wrote:

>>He can't do DCF because you need to be a US Citizen with Immediate
    >>Leave To Remain in the UK in order to do DCF.
    >
    >
    > You're right, except it's "indefinite leave to remain." And I am feeling
    > like a pedantic shit today after trying to get an interim ead and being
    > turned away from the Norfolk office for not having an appointment.
    >

Indefinite leave to remain (UK permanent resindence) is not a strict
requirement to do "DCF." Leave to remain as a spouse of a British
citizen could be used and there are other possibilities.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I was just going to say what LD did.

That is not the only visa status necessary to DCF in the UK.