Walk-in AOS in Dallas

Old Jun 6th 2002, 3:20 pm
Clinton

Default Walk-in AOS in Dallas

My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married soon and I was trying to figure
out the fastest way to get her green card when we get married. I was thrilled when I
ran across some of the older posts talking about the same-day AOS for K-1 holders in
Dallas (I just happen to live in Dallas), but I've seen some recent posts saying they
don't do that any more. Has anyone been able to verify this recently?

If they have, in fact, stopped doing them, is there any benefit in getting a K-1 visa
now? Is there any benefit in doing a walk-in filing (if that's still possible)? Are
they still doing them in Detroit? If so, what would I have to do to get the
application processed there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Clinton

Old Jun 7th 2002, 3:20 am
Skirrit

Default Re: Walk-in AOS in Dallas

Hi,

I recently went down to the INS office in Dallas. And although it said on the
TV screens outside that you can walk in you application, I think it might be
worth a try.

I had my file transferred there from NC and nothing was really happening. When I went
down there I got my EAD the same day and an appointment for our interview a week
later. So I'd say it's definately worth going down there.

Practice you sad and desperate look in the mirror first though.

http://www.kamya.com/aos/texas.html#dallas

Skirrit.

"Clinton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married soon and I was trying to figure
    > out the fastest way to get her green card when we get married. I was thrilled when
    > I ran across some of the older posts talking about the same-day AOS for K-1 holders
    > in Dallas (I just happen to live in Dallas), but I've seen some recent posts saying
    > they don't do that any more. Has anyone been able to verify this recently?
    >
    > If they have, in fact, stopped doing them, is there any benefit in getting a K-1
    > visa now? Is there any benefit in doing a walk-in filing (if that's still
    > possible)? Are they still doing them in Detroit? If so, what would I have to do to
    > get the application processed there?
    >
    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Clinton

Old Jun 7th 2002, 3:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Clinton

You can't pick and choose your local INS filing office. You have to use the one that governs your living jurisdiction. May I ask what the big thing is about getting her green card immediately? Is there a rush to start her naturalization clock so that she can bring family members over perhaps?

As for whether or not Dallas does the instant AOS any longer, two people have told us no. They will do the interview the same day you walk in with the petition but the approval is delayed by a month or three until your IBIS name check is done and your original K-1 brown envelope is received from the POE.

So by walking it in you are saving yourself a year or more in wait time as opposed to mailing it in. Plus she will get the EAD and A/P if required the same day as filed.

As for advantages of the K-1 visa, that is obvious isn't it? You have eliminated any hint of being charged with fraud committed at the POE if she just came on a visit and got married. You have followed the prescribed INS roundabout.

Rita
Old Jun 7th 2002, 8:21 am
Clinton

On 7 Jun 2002 16:20:08 GMT, Rete <[email protected]> wrote:

Rita -

Thanks for the advice. The only rush is that my girlfriend is from the UK and was
living in the US on an L-1 visa for three years and recently quit her job and had to
return to the UK. We have an apartment, furniture, cars etc in the US so it's easier
for us to live and work here for a while, but then we plan to go to the UK for a
while (she's been asking me to go there for some time). Anyway, since she doesn't
want to be here for too long while waiting for her permanent resident status, I want
to get the clock ticking as soon as possible. We'd like to get it done soon so we
have more flexibilty around where to live/work, and we might even try moving to the
west coast.

A few months is no problem at all. I was just looking at the figures of 1.5 years and
up and thinking there has to be a quicker way. Plus having seen the stories of
same-day AOS got me rather excited.

I was also evaluating the option of having us both travel to a country where the
consulate does DCF and get married there and apply using
DCF. I know there are certain countries that won't do DCF for a non-resident USC,
but of the ones who will, will any of them allow it if neither party is a
resident? I've seen something about Maylaysia doing it, but nothing
concrete. And I was thinking more along the lines of Iceland (it's kind-of
in between us).

Thanks again for the help.

-Clinton

Old Jun 7th 2002, 8:21 am
Clinton

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:09:46 -0500, "Skirrit" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Skirrit.

I'm afraid to say we won't have any sad stories to tell, but just hearing that there
are some reasonable and helpful folks working there makes me feel better...

Thanks for the info.

-Clinton

>Hi,
    >
    >I recently went down to the INS office in Dallas. And although it said on the
    >TV screens outside that you can walk in you application, I think it might be
    >worth a try.
    >
    >I had my file transferred there from NC and nothing was really happening. When I
    >went down there I got my EAD the same day and an appointment for our interview a
    >week later. So I'd say it's definately worth going down there.
    >
    >Practice you sad and desperate look in the mirror first though.
    >
    >http://www.kamya.com/aos/texas.html#dallas
    >
    >Skirrit.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 10:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you are planning to move to the UK in the future, then you will be able to do the DCF in London since she will be losing her green card if she gives up residency in the US. Having one doesn't give one the option of moving worldwide to live. The purpose is for US residency if one wants to retain their residency status.

Rete
Old Jun 17th 2002, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

somersetfolks is an unknown quantity at this point

Skirrit, how long did it take for the paperwork to be transferred??? i might have a job in the northeast and am just curious.
Old Jun 17th 2002, 9:20 am
Skirrit

Hi,

I gave them about 3 weeks before I went down to the INS. And when I was there they
told me it had just arrived. I guess I just got lucky. Just make sure to send them a
change of address letter and hope for the best. I know that things can be quite
different in different parts of the country.

Regards, Skirrit

"somersetfolks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Skirrit, how long did it take for the paperwork to be transferred??? i might have a
    > job in the northeast and am just curious.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 17th 2002, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

somersetfolks is an unknown quantity at this point

so you transferred from the atlanta INS office to the dallas INS office? or what office did you originally file at?
Old Jun 18th 2002, 2:20 am
Skirrit

I lived in North Carolina for 6 months and filed in Charlotte, NC. I then moved to
the Dallas-Fort Worth area and transferred everything there.

"somersetfolks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > so you transferred from the atlanta INS office to the dallas INS office? or what
    > office did you originally file at?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com