Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Waiting for a Social Security Number

Waiting for a Social Security Number

Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

jokehay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiting for a Social Security Number

Hi there! I am just asking this question out of curiosity (and impatience!) re. a social security number. I moved from the UK to the USA just over 3 weeks on a marriage visa. My green card arrived after 2 weeks, which was great! However, I have started working already but have not received my SSN. Just wondered, based on peoples experience, how long roughly I will have to wait? At the moment I can't get paid without one. I know it's impossible to be exact but I just wanted a little indication! Thanks you for any info!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Waiting for a Social Security Number

also, I did request for it to be mailed to me...
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jokehay
also, I did request for it to be mailed to me...
It might take about a month or so. If you don't have it within another month or so, go to the SS office and re-apply.

Rene
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It might take about a month or so. If you don't have it within another month or so, go to the SS office and re-apply.

Rene
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will be here soon!

John
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jokehay
Hi there! I am just asking this question out of curiosity (and impatience!) re. a social security number. I moved from the UK to the USA just over 3 weeks on a marriage visa. My green card arrived after 2 weeks, which was great! However, I have started working already but have not received my SSN. Just wondered, based on peoples experience, how long roughly I will have to wait? At the moment I can't get paid without one. I know it's impossible to be exact but I just wanted a little indication! Thanks you for any info!
If you do not get your SS card in the mail by the end of next week, you should go to SSA an re-apply.

You CAN get paid btw, if you are entitled to the SSN (you are) and you have applied for it (you have). If your employer needs help working out how to do that, let us know.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine arrived in the post three weeks after I applied.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover
Mine arrived in the post three weeks after I applied.
That is good to know!
jokehay came with a different visa type, that allows him to apply on the visa application, so it works a little bit differently from your direct application.

Another week and he'll know.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

shayward is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
That is good to know!
jokehay came with a different visa type, that allows him to apply on the visa application, so it works a little bit differently from your direct application.

Another week and he'll know.
Hi jokehay,

Just checking to see if you have got your SSN yet, as I also ticked the box on the form (can't remember the exact number right now) that meant it was all taken care of at immigration.

Its only been a week for me though.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Mr. Deeks got his SSN in Monday's mail, only 9 days after arriving in the US. We expected it to take weeks so this was a happy surprise.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:29 am
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

.I'm popping into my local SS office today to re-apply for my SS card. I've been here just over 3 weeks and instead of phoning them up to complain, I am going in person instead.

Here is the official link about Permanent Residents and SS cards:

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/Handout_11_1.html
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

I got here June 8th last year and didn't get SSN until Aug 4th. Made a couple of personal visits to the local office in the interim but was told that I was "in the system" and to wait it out. They didn't let me make another application for one.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Sorry, I tell a lie, my GC came 4th Aug. Didn't get SSN until a week after that.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:40 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I ticked the box on my visa application, but I also went to the SS office on my third day in the US. I had my card within a week.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:04 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

I applied for the card last Wednesday, it arrived today. Five days, over a weekend too.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

CandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really nice

I knew coming back to the forum would make my life easier.

I'm still waiting on both my GC and my SSN. I arrived here on June 6th and did the whole ticking box on the form marlarkey. I'm going to give my SSN till after the fourth....see if that makes a difference. If it still hasn't arrived, a-marching to the office I go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.