British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Waiting on green card.....been 11 weeks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/waiting-green-card-been-11-weeks-871725/)

stevodric Feb 1st 2016 10:45 pm

Waiting on green card.....been 11 weeks

It's been 11 weeks since I entered the US at Boston airport on an I-551. The immigration officer told me my green card would be sent in 6 weeks and I am still waiting. The problem is that I am back in the UK until late April (I also spent Xmas and new years in the US so I'm within the 6 month window) and I don't know who to call or contact to follow it up. Also I'm starting school in Boston in May and they are telling me this:

"After reviewing your document, you will need to complete the Financial Certification Form to prove that you have the finances to attend the College. The I-551 allows you to be in the country and either work or go to school. However you are not considered a Resident Alien yet. You have ‘conditional resident’ status. Anyone that does not have a Resident Alien card or are not a US citizen has to show finances. Please remember that you can apply your deposits to the amount needed by showing a receipt from NECO"

I married my US wife on Aug 2nd 2014. As my staus is "conditional" will I still receive the green card or do I have to wait until our 2nd wedding anniversary to get it? As always once you jump one hurdle in this process another one pops up. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Stephen

Noorah101 Feb 1st 2016 11:00 pm

Re: Waiting on green card.....been 11 weeks

You ARE currently a US PR. The I -551 endorsement in your passport proves this. You will receive a plastic card in the mail at some point (valid for 2 years), but for now, the I-551 stamp is valid for 1 year, which tides you over until the plastic card comes in the mail.

Seems to me they are wrong in what they are telling you.

Rene

ian-mstm Feb 2nd 2016 12:11 am

Originally Posted by stevodric (Post 11856001)
I'm starting school in Boston in May and they are telling me this:

Clearly, they don't know the law. I suggest you bring it to their attention.

Ian

ian-mstm Feb 2nd 2016 12:14 am

Originally Posted by stevodric (Post 11856001)
It's been 11 weeks since I entered the US at Boston airport on an I-551.

Did you paid the $165 card production fee?

Ian

stevodric Feb 2nd 2016 12:47 am

Thank you all for your replies. Yes Ian I have paid the fee. I will take it up with the school. By the way thus is their latest statement:
"You are not on conditional status with the College, but you are not a Resident Alien until you receive your “green card”. You are considered an international citizen."
Surely this is incorrect.
Any suggestions on how to get my green card sooner or find out if at least it is being processed bare in mind I am in the UK.

Noorah101 Feb 2nd 2016 12:49 am

The school is incorrect. You HAVE received your green card. ..that's what the I-551 endorsement is. And "international citizen" is just very odd wording. International student, maybe.

I don't believe there is a way to follow up from the UK, unless you just try calling USCIS in the USA, but even then you can't rely on anything they tell you.

Rene

Noorah101 Feb 2nd 2016 12:54 am

What "6 month window" are you referring to in your first post?

Rene

ian-mstm Feb 2nd 2016 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11856087)
What "6 month window" are you referring to in your first post?

I think he means 6 months out of the US.

Ian

ian-mstm Feb 2nd 2016 1:04 am

Originally Posted by stevodric (Post 11856076)
"You are not on conditional status with the College, but you are not a Resident Alien until you receive your “green card”. You are considered an international citizen."
Surely this is incorrect.

Yes - they are incorrect. The I-551 endorsement on your visa is a green card and carries all the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of the plastic card. As I said earlier, they clearly don't know the law - so you need to educate them.

Indeed, the fact that it is an I-551 endorsement proves it... because the form number of the plastic card is also I-551.

Ian

stevodric Feb 2nd 2016 1:06 am

Noorah101 I mean outside US for less than 6 months.
Should I not be worried that this is taking longer than the 6 weeks they've told me it would take or is this normal? What waiting times have you guys heard?

stevodric Feb 2nd 2016 1:07 am

Again thanks for all the help... would be lost without this forum

Noorah101 Feb 2nd 2016 3:02 am

Originally Posted by stevodric (Post 11856098)
Noorah101 I mean outside US for less than 6 months.
Should I not be worried that this is taking longer than the 6 weeks they've told me it would take or is this normal? What waiting times have you guys heard?

The I-551 in your passport is valid for 1 year for a reason. It can sometimes take many months to get the plastic card in the mail. It's nothing to be concerned about at this point, as you have prove of your US PR status.

When you return to the USA, if you want to follow up, make an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office to go inquire in person.

Rene

Rete Feb 2nd 2016 5:43 am

Is your spouse currently living in the US? Did you have a permanent address that you asked to have the card mailed to? Is your name on the mailbox? Has the post office been told to deliver your mail to that address?

It is not unusual for the card to come in an envelope that is non-descript and often overlooked as it does not appear to come from the USCIS.

It is also not unusual for the POE to hold on to the paperwork until enough has been accumulated to send all in one pouch to the USCIS.

Have you checked online to see if your card has been produced and mailed?

stevodric Feb 2nd 2016 8:13 am

Spouse with me in UK but have given her parent's address in Houston which is reliable. I have tried checking my staus online with uscis but it doesn't recognise my case no. I think it's because my visa was processed through the embassy in London and not USCIS. Is there any way around this

Noorah101 Feb 2nd 2016 8:16 am

USCIS won't recognize your LND case number, that's correct.

I don't know if there's a way to check card production status other than calling USCIS or going in person in the USA.

Rene