Waiting for Divorce

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 12:44 am
Gracejilly

Default Waiting for Divorce

My future husband's divorce is in the courts and the final dissolution decree will be
sent to him in approx 4 weeks. If I sent in my petition before I get a copy of his
divorce decree, am I just setting myself up for more set backs?

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 1:07 am
Mona Lisa

Default Re: Waiting for Divorce

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(Gracejilly) wrote:

> My future husband's divorce is in the courts and the final dissolution decree will
    > be sent to him in approx 4 weeks. If I sent in my petition before I get a copy of
    > his divorce decree, am I just setting myself up for more set backs?

Yes. You are required to send a photocopy of the final divorce decree. I would wait.
--
Mona

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 1:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gracejilly:
My future husband's divorce is in the courts and the final dissolution decree will be
sent to him in approx 4 weeks. If I sent in my petition before I get a copy of his
divorce decree, am I just setting myself up for more set backs?
It is my belief that you are. Although one poster a whle back did not have a problem with using a divorce degree which has not the absolute decree (some countries the divorce is not final until 30 days after court judgment and a decree absolute is issued), I would not like to see you have to incur an RFE for not having it. You really need so send in the WHOLE decree not just the front and last pages and not just your word that he is free to marry.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 10:28 am
Mrtravel

Is there a way to get it without waiting for it in the mail? You will probably get an
RFE if you don't send it with the petition. This may cause a longer delay than if you
actually waitied for the paper.

Gracejilly wrote:
    > My future husband's divorce is in the courts and the final dissolution decree will
    > be sent to him in approx 4 weeks. If I sent in my petition before I get a copy of
    > his divorce decree, am I just setting myself up for more set backs?

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

peaches is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do not want to wait for it to come in mail go to the court and get certified copies. That is what I did. But be prepared they charge per page and one copy for me cost $50 so make sure you keep original for the interview.
Old Sep 7th 2002, 12:15 pm
Moises Carbajal

I was divorced May 29 2001 and sent in my I129f the next day to NSC. I was approved
in 70 days-no problems. During my fiancee visa interview in Warsaw the agent asked my
fiancee if she knew I was newly divorced . I think they usually they don't like to
see this but it is perfectly legal. They go by the book and so can we! My fiancee was
in the US by Oct12 2001

MC

peaches <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > If you do not want to wait for it to come in mail go to the court and get certified
    > copies. That is what I did. But be prepared they charge per page and one copy for
    > me cost $50 so make sure you keep original for the interview.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 5:23 pm
Mrtravel

Moises Carbajal wrote:
    > I was divorced May 29 2001 and sent in my I129f the next day to NSC. I was approved
    > in 70 days-no problems. During my fiancee visa interview in Warsaw the agent asked
    > my fiancee if she knew I was newly divorced . I think they usually they don't
    > like to see this but it is perfectly legal.

What do you mean by "they don't like to see this"? Many people don't go through the
divorce process until they actually need to.