Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Waiting on 10 Yr Green Card and UK passport is about to expire... Help!

Waiting on 10 Yr Green Card and UK passport is about to expire... Help!

Old Dec 20th 2018, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

MaddiGibbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiting on 10 Yr Green Card and UK passport is about to expire... Help!

Hey everyone, I hope you're doing well.
I need some help or reassurance or something. My UK passport will expire in a few months and I've not received my new 10 Yr Green Card yet. We filed the i-751 Removal of Conditions in late July 2018 and we're still waiting on a decision.

The i751 seems to be going well. The NOA arrived within a week, my fingerprint scan was done early Sept 2018 and we're just waiting either for an interview or a decision.

But what do I do about my UK passport? Do I renew it whilst the i751 is pending? I don't want to send my old passport and marriage certificate to the UK as I might need it at any time for USCIS... Plus my old passport is all over my i751 application.. I'm not planning any travel at all in the next few years, I just don't want to be walking around with an expired conditional green card, NOA letter and expired passport...

Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do?

Amy advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
MG
Old Dec 20th 2018, 12:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting on 10 Yr Green Card and UK passport is about to expire... Help!

You won't need your passport or marriage certificate in order to receive the 10 year green card, so it's safe to send them away to get the new UK passport. It's fine if the I-751 was done under the old passport number and then you get a new one.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2018, 2:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting on 10 Yr Green Card and UK passport is about to expire... Help!

I would renew my British passport as a matter of course completely unrelated to the I-751 application.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a side note to the excellent advice already given, the I-751 extension letter you received should be good for 18 months and unfortunately, it can take just that long to adjudicate your I-751. Renew your passport. Never know what can happen in the next 18 months, i.e. emergency travel, vacation, etc. and you will need your passport if you leave the US.

Also note that if you desire to naturalize, the I-751 does not need to be adjudicated in order for you apply for naturalization. You can apply, if you meet all the requirements, 90 days before the third anniversary of your obtaining permanent residency status.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

I've never been without a passport, so not having one makes me feel so vulnerable.
My biggest concern is having to attend an interview for the i751 case... I've read on a few sites that it's best to show up to the interview with all the original documents for the case (marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc).

However, the UK needs to also see my original documents for the new passport, so what if I send off for the new passport and suddenly were expected at an interview? All my documents will be overseas and I'll be stuck. Or if I wait, it expires and this somehow counts against me for the i751?

Thanks,
MG
Old Dec 20th 2018, 10:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Go ahead and renew - you won't get an interview that soon anyway, not with Christmas and the new year. These cases are literally at the bottom of the pile.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Go ahead and renew - you won't get an interview that soon anyway, not with Christmas and the new year. These cases are literally at the bottom of the pile.
If we applied late July 2018, when will the interview take place roughly? Every site says its usually at the 6-8 month mark (which we're approaching), but I know the USCIS are really behind on the i751 cases
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:04 pm
Often not so civil...

More likely to be a year. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if you apply for Citizenship and that forces adjudication of the I-751.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

More likely to be a year. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if you apply for Citizenship and that forces adjudication of the I-751.
I'm not really interested in filing for citizenship though, as I want my son to have dual citizenship.

It just so annoying that the passport expires right around the time we'll be expecting an invitation to the interview (if we even are summoned to one)
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaddiGibbs
I'm not really interested in filing for citizenship though, as I want my son to have dual citizenship.

It just so annoying that the passport expires right around the time we'll be expecting an invitation to the interview (if we even are summoned to one)
He will be a UK/US citizen whether you become a USC or not. So why not get US citizenship?
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He will be a UK/US citizen whether you become a USC or not. So why not get US citizenship?
If I become a US citizen doesn't my son lose his British citizenship?
Either way, I don't think I'm ready to apply for it plus we may return to the UK in a few years
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:23 pm
Often not so civil...

Um, no!

plus we may return to the UK in a few years
Even more reason to obtain it. What if you son chooses to live in the US in the future?
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Um, no!
LOL WHAAAAAT
So if I gain US citizenship do I also get to keep my UK citizenship (and my son, too?)
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:26 pm
Often not so civil...

Correct. The UK doesn't give a hoot what other countries you are a citizen of.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Correct. The UK doesn't give a hoot what other countries you are a citizen of.
Wow... I guess I learnt something new today..!
​​​I just assumed if I gained US citizenship I'd be revoking my British citizenship lol!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.