Wikiposts

W-2s for I-864

Old Dec 21st 2001, 4:55 am
Queen

Hi, could I just use W-2s from the last 3 years, would that alone be sufficient for
the tax requirements, or income requirements for the I-864

Old Dec 21st 2001, 6:37 am
Trunk

I don't undrestand why we would even have to file I864 if we already work in US or
are with H1-b... it is messed up.

>
    >

Old Dec 21st 2001, 6:50 am
Alvena Ferreira

Trunk wrote:
    >
    >
    >
IF the AOS is marriage-based or for a relative, it requires an affidavit of support,
that is the law: http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...pp.htm#forwhom

The rationale being: before the law in 1996 passed, it was relatively common for
immigrants to bring family members to the US and for those family members to
immediately get on welfare. (Welfare in the US is a better standard of living than
working in some countries.) US citizens got PO'd about it. Now someone else pays the
tab if the relative-immigrants won't/don't work: the sponsor on the affidavit of
support. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Dec 21st 2001, 6:58 am
Andy Platt

No it isn't messed up. If you are immigrating / adjusting status based on a family
petition, the family has to sponsor you. Part of that is to demonstrate that you will
not become a burden on the US taxpayer and that's what the I-864 is for. Prior to the
law the feeling, whether rightly or wrongly, was that immigrants would come to the
US, their families would not be able to support them and suddenly everyone was on
welfare. The form is just the beauracracy to manage this.

If you are already here working that doesn't remove the need for the same affidavit.
However, the alien can use their own income to demonstrate that they will not become
a public charge by including it on the household income for the primary sponsor.
However, you need to have lived with the sponsor for six months.

In my case when we filed my wife made above the necessary amount on her own and so we
didn't include my income on the affidavit (we had been living together for a couple
of years at that point so we could have included it). Since then we have had a baby
and my wife now does the best unpaid job their is - full-time parent. So, when we go
to the AOS interview, we will simply include my income on the household income and
that's it.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi, could I just use W-2s from the last 3 years, would that alone be sufficient[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for the tax requirements, or income requirements for the I-864[/usenetquote2]

Old Dec 21st 2001, 7:01 am
Andy Platt

I don't really understand the question. W-2s are not required to be filed with an
I-864 unless the tax returns were joint but only the sponsor's income is being used.

Or, to reverse it: File copies of the last three tax returns with the I-864 and only
include the W-2s if needed.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >

Old Dec 21st 2001, 7:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Okay guys ... Andy has totally confused me.

The I-864 affidavit of support requires that one supply the federal tax returns for the last three (3) years. The tax returns, if not official tax transcripts provided by the IRS, should be validated by the inclusion of the W-2's which will support the income one has claimed to make.

W-2's alone do not prove that one has filed federal income tax and the I-864 specifically asks for tax returns.

I don't understand where the issue of joint tax returns figures into this poster's question.

Rita
Old Dec 21st 2001, 8:02 am
Trunk

Well I don't know: I have been married for 1+ year and my wife does not work and goes
to college, 1 year ago she was with Green card and recently she got her citizenship.
If I show that I have been married with her for 6+ months and use my income, then
beat it, fine by me.

I looked at that form, and they do want 3 years worth of taxes, I was just hoping I
could attach a stub from my paycheck and get it over, some people have told me they
do want the 3 years of tax forms, which reminds me to call IRS and get the older
ones, since I can not find them in my files (only have two)

thanks for responses....

>
a
    >
    >
that's
    >
    >
not
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
income
    >
    >
    >
    >
own
    >
    >
it).
    >
their
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I don't undrestand why we would even have to file I864 if we already work in US[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > or are with H1-b... it is messed up.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi, could I just use W-2s from the last 3 years, would that alone be sufficient[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for the tax requirements, or income requirements for the I-864[/usenetquote2]