Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP question about intent to marry

Wikiposts

VWP question about intent to marry

Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP question about intent to marry

I hear Paul Simon singing: "I am just a poor boy; Though my story's seldom told; I have squandered my resistance; For a pocket full of mumbles such are promises; All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest"
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiekat
If you go with route one, the biggest piece of advice you'll get is to make sure you work with an attorney since it is illegal.
I'm nominating this for the funniest line of the week.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:01 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire 2011
Thank you all very much for your advice.
The fact is that when I came here, there was no intent to file for AOS, so I don't feel like we are willingly trying to break any laws, however unfair they may be.
It seems, however that if we go to Mexico and return now, we are putting ourselves at considerable risk.

Do yourself a favour:

If you're investigating the VWP express route, search this forum for "10-foot pole," paying special attention to the last couple of years. The question generates more apoplexy than a mouse in a cattery. Learn to ignore the hysterics and you'll find all the information is in those threads.

If after learning the pros and cons you're still on for VWP express residency, the trip to Mexico should be postponed until such time as you can clutch a green card in your hand.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Claire 2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for all your help. We are just about to go to an appointment with an immigration attorney, and I will report back and let you know what he says.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

..., and I will report back and let you know what he says.
You shouldn't report back. An attorney tells you things in the confidence of his closed-door office. If you DO plan to come back and tell us what he said, make sure he knows you plan to do this. Also know that this could change what he tells you. I'd keep it all confidential until you decide on a route and start the process...then feel free to come back here and tell us what you're doing or if you have any questions.

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, as long as you realize two things:

1. You will only be admitted to the USA for the remainder of your initial 90 days...you won't get a new 90-day stay.

2. It is illegal to come to the USA as a visitor with the intent to remain and adjust status to permanent resident (which is what one of your options was).

Rene
Actually there is a 0 as well so it is really three things ...

0. There is never any guarantee that you will be admitted to the US under the VWP - it is entirely at the discretion of CBP.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The fact is that when I came here, there was no intent to file for AOS, so I don't feel like we are willingly trying to break any laws, however unfair they may be.
I find your moral indignation somewhat amusing. US immigration law is specifically written to keep non-US citizens out of the US... and the US doesn't care one whit whether or not you're inconvenienced by their laws. Further, what you think doesn't really matter... what matters, is what the CBP officer thinks when you try to enter the US.

It seems, however that if we go to Mexico and return now, we are putting ourselves at considerable risk.
Respectfully, your USC boyfriend is not at risk... just you! And then, only if you try to remain in the US! You'll be fine if you go to Mexico, return to the US, and leave on December 21.

Ian
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

When a person asks to enter the USA as a non-immigrant they should remain a non-immigrant. If they want to enter as an immigrant they should get an immigrant visa. What's unfair about that? If anything, the provision in the law that allows a a persons who entered as a non-immigrant to immigrate from within the USA, provided that their honest intention at entry was to leave after their visit, is quite generous. And it's a 'loop hole' that many devious people take advantage of.

Despite people saying that entering as a non-immigrant and then applying to adjust status is illegal, breaking the law, it is not. What they should say is that the law does not provide a path for a person who entered as a non-immigrant to immigrate from within the USA - with the previously mentioned exception. Such a person can always apply, the law says that they should be denied. If anything, it's the case officer who approves them who is not following the law.

What gets people in trouble if denied is not having made the application to adjust, it's being found to have mis-represented their intentions when they were questioned by the CBP officer at the time they entered. As with many wrong deeds, the penalty for lying about it is more severe than the penalty for the deed itself.

Regards, JEff

Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:42 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
When a person asks to enter the USA as a non-immigrant they should remain a non-immigrant. If they want to enter as an immigrant they should get an immigrant visa. What's unfair about that?
The 8-10 months it takes them to issue it. It simply shouldn't take that long.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

When will you be running for office on that platform?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The 8-10 months it takes them to issue it. It simply shouldn't take that long.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:03 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
When will you be running for office on that platform?

Regards, JEff
I vote, write letters and make calls, march occasionally, and have worked with a couple of local campaigns as a volunteer. But office? No thanks!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:37 am

Can't say as I blame you!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I vote, write letters and make calls, march occasionally, and have worked with a couple of local campaigns as a volunteer. But office? No thanks!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:15 am
Just Joined

samchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nice

I suspect my reply may not be popular here. This is my, in a nutshell, story. I came here just over 4 years ago on the VWP, I was visiting friends and single. I met a wonderful American man here and stayed and successfully did the AOS here.

There was nothing illegal in what I did and I do find it frustrating when some people use a blanket term of "illegal" for all VWP/AOS folks like me. Yes, it's all the intent when originally entering the country. Yes, it's a hair raising few months here when you're out of status and not knowing which way USCIS is going to decide. My husband and I decided early on that we didn't want to be apart. We even made contingency plans for him to join me abroad in case we were denied.

I'm not saying that it is the best or least stressful way of doing things. However it is legal (as long as you entered the country with no intent to marry) regardless of how much it's frowned upon. From my personal experience, to reduce some of the stress and give yourself a fighting chance, I would say get good legal advice and take it, know your rights and get married and get your paperwork into USCIS *before* your VWP expires and before you step foot outside the US. Then be prepared to not leave the country again before your conditional residence is granted.

Sam
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samchico
I suspect my reply may not be popular here. This is my, in a nutshell, story. I came here just over 4 years ago on the VWP, I was visiting friends and single. I met a wonderful American man here and stayed and successfully did the AOS here.

There was nothing illegal in what I did and I do find it frustrating when some people use a blanket term of "illegal" for all VWP/AOS folks like me. Yes, it's all the intent when originally entering the country. Yes, it's a hair raising few months here when you're out of status and not knowing which way USCIS is going to decide. My husband and I decided early on that we didn't want to be apart. We even made contingency plans for him to join me abroad in case we were denied.

I'm not saying that it is the best or least stressful way of doing things. However it is legal (as long as you entered the country with no intent to marry) regardless of how much it's frowned upon. From my personal experience, to reduce some of the stress and give yourself a fighting chance, I would say get good legal advice and take it, know your rights and get married and get your paperwork into USCIS *before* your VWP expires and before you step foot outside the US. Then be prepared to not leave the country again before your conditional residence is granted.

Sam
You are correct, Sam, that it's all about your intent. When YOU entered the USA, you did not have the intent to stay. The OP in this thread, when she entered the USA a couple of months ago, seems not to have had the intent to stay. However, if she goes to Mexico and then wants to return to the USA, she will have the intent to stay, and that could be problematic.

Rene
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:34 am
Just Joined

samchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nice

I totally agree there, if it were me again I certainly wouldn't be making the Mexico trip and instead spending my time getting married and preparing the paperwork, medical exam etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.