Wikiposts

VWP Query

Old May 29th 2007, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Emily702 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile VWP Query

Hi, I’m British and student in the UK traveling for my Gap year.
I’ve recently been reading posts about the VWP and I’m curious to know what you think about my query.

December 31st 2006 I visited the states for new years approximately 11 days. After enjoying my time there I then returned back to the states January 31ST 2007 for 89 days (just under 3months) staying with family and my boyfriend I met over there.
The Problem is I would like to visit the States again this summer preferably before I go back to school this September 2007. I know it’s random or luck of the draw ... but do you believe I’ll have problems at the US immigration this time around? Or should I apply for a working Visa? I don’t want to over use the VWP and then later deal with issues I see posted on this website.

Anyway write me what you think…?
Old May 29th 2007, 5:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP Query

Originally Posted by Emily702
Hi, I’m British and student in the UK traveling for my Gap year.
I’ve recently been reading posts about the VWP and I’m curious to know what you think about my query.

December 31st 2006 I visited the states for new years approximately 11 days. After enjoying my time there I then returned back to the states January 31ST 2007 for 89 days (just under 3months) staying with family and my boyfriend I met over there.
The Problem is I would like to visit the States again this summer preferably before I go back to school this September 2007. I know it’s random or luck of the draw ... but do you believe I’ll have problems at the US immigration this time around? Or should I apply for a working Visa? I don’t want to over use the VWP and then later deal with issues I see posted on this website.

Anyway write me what you think…?
With a three to six months gap ..you should be ok ..but never any guarantee...
Work visa .... little to no chance ..
Old May 29th 2007, 5:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Emily, I'd bring proof of your uni/college enrolment for the autumn (I'm assuming your uni is in the UK). That may help. As to the general rule for how often one can use the VWP, Ray's right, you're okay by the rule of thumb but unless they ask specifically if you have a boyfriend, don't volunteer it. You're visiting friends and enjoying the last of your freedom before uni starts. But if they do ask -- ya gotta tell.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Sounds like a one month gap to me - if the OP arrived Jan 31 - basically here Feb, Mar, Apr.... home for May.... back for summer...

Keith did something similar once, they let him in but were very crabby. Proof of returning to Uni is a very good idea.
Old May 30th 2007, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Emily702 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: VWP Query

Thanks Guys.

So the general rule is leaving it for a few months. I would love to go back ASAP
Tracy what do you mean by OP?
I’ll defiantly bring proof of my University enrollment ect... It’s likely I’ll be returning mid August just for a few weeks this time and I know that NY airports are usually quite busy will that make any difference?

Thanks again Emily
Old May 30th 2007, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emily702
Thanks Guys.

So the general rule is leaving it for a few months. I would love to go back ASAP
Tracy what do you mean by OP?
I’ll defiantly bring proof of my University enrollment ect... It’s likely I’ll be returning mid August just for a few weeks this time and I know that NY airports are usually quite busy will that make any difference?

Thanks again Emily
Oh sorry, forum shorthand. Original Poster, i.e. you.

My fiance was out about 6 weeks, then came back, and like I said they did let him in but were crabby.

A suggestion for you - the New York airports are among the worst I think. You might consider flying through Dublin or Shannon. The reason for this, is that you clear U.S. immigration there, they have a station in those airports. If they do turn you away, you just go home, no problem (not get detained overnight until the next flight). So you're already "in" before you come over the ocean - you'll just have to go through customs.
Old May 30th 2007, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym

My fiance was out about 6 weeks, then came back, and like I said they did let him in but were crabby.

A suggestion for you - the New York airports are among the worst I think. You might consider flying through Dublin or Shannon. The reason for this, is that you clear U.S. immigration there, they have a station in those airports. If they do turn you away, you just go home, no problem (not get detained overnight until the next flight). So you're already "in" before you come over the ocean - you'll just have to go through customs.
I heard Dublin and Shannon were worse though. Probably appreciate that they get more dodgy entries.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
I heard Dublin and Shannon were worse though. Probably appreciate that they get more dodgy entries.
Not for us - Dublin has been extremely friendly and no problem at all. Newark was awful.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:36 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
US immigration in Canada is friendliest, IME...
Old May 30th 2007, 7:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
flying that far for pre-clearance, you might as well go straight to the US the return flight will be that long

But Ireland isn't a bad option, but because your so close, they are more likely to scrutinise your use of the VWP....but it's all luck of the draw.
Old May 30th 2007, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Neelam is an unknown quantity at this point

Really??? I didnt know that! I really prefer clearing immigration before you leave your home country, because that way at least you can just go home if anything happens. They have that in Canada, of course. They should have it in the UK. What other foreign airports have US Immigration stationed there??

Originally Posted by Tracym

Old May 30th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I agree AND houston?!?! I had a wonderful experience there!! He made small talk with me about Pakistani wedding traditions as I had henna tattoos on my hands after my sisters wedding. He also said that he was always facinated with South Asian culture. But then again, you never REALLY know with them whether its "small talk" or weeding out potential terrorists. (i am born in UK, pak origin)

Originally Posted by Elvira
Old May 30th 2007, 7:31 am
Just Joined

johnthebrit1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

I travelled to Florida last April for 86 days,returned to UK in July for 6 weeks,then went back for 86 days early Sep,got taken aside for secondary immagration questioning at Orlando airport but luckily they did let me in,so it does happen + is probably luck of draw on the day as who you get at the desk,Im going back end of next month for 3 weeks, and as advised by several on this forum Im certainly bringing proof of ties to the UK,( mortgage document, bank statement with proof of funds etc)as but who would NORMALLY carry this stuff on a vacation??!! all I had last yr was passport ,US dollars andEticket, I guess its a sign of the times we live in
Old May 30th 2007, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Christmas 2005 Immigration sent me to another room at JFK airport, IO didnt seem to want to admit me. I am sure that the color of my skin had something to do with it. I went into the room and there were a bunch of Middle Eastern men in there, (who i swear looked liked something from the Taliban). I had to sit there and watch other poeple being taken in to be strip searched and some other people waiting to get deported. When it was finally my turn (me expecting the worse, i.e refused entry, stripped searched, deported, whatever...) the Immigration supervisor asked me when I last entered the USA, I answered and then he was like "you can go now". It seemed like I was still on their system as being in the country, from my previous visit about a month before this one and my departure record wasnt updated. After that visit, when i got back to London the first thing I did was apply for a B2 Visa giving the reason for application as "frequent trips to the USA and excessive questioning at the port of entry". In the interview at the embassy, she asked me what the name of a famous Indian actress, who was Miss World at some point in the last few years. I told her "Aishwarya Rai" and she seemed happy with that and granted me the visa. They can be so random in their questions. Maybe she knew somehow (I dont know how) that I had travelled to India the year before to actually meet this actress, as I was going to do business with her (fashion) and I was planning to set this up in the USA. I didnt go through with the plans and I didnt apply for any Visa to the US for this. It was merely a thought process.
Old May 30th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

johnthebrit1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, that must have been awful!!! I had the "Sir, I think You work in the United States of America" routine with the IO in Orlando,but he wasnt at any point really rude just kind of abrupt,as in whatever answer I gave to his question, he just asked another question and for me prove my answer, I guess its a case of GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT, still makes me nervous about my trip next month though!!

Last edited by johnthebrit1965; May 30th 2007 at 8:16 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.