Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP and intent to stay - legality

VWP and intent to stay - legality

Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

nica is on a distinguished road
Default VWP and intent to stay - legality

As I was finishing up my CR-1 process in the spring, a friend of mine got married to a non USC (from Mexico, in Mexico). I told her what the legal procedure was, and warned her about him coming here on VWP (in their case, a tourist visa) and adjusting status.

She apparently took one look at how long I had to wait and decided their love was too true for them to be apart for even a single day after marriage, so after getting married, her husband quit his job, sold his house, and moved to the US with her on his pre-existing tourist visa. Starting in June, they filed their paperwork to adjust status. She told me gleefully that they both have to go to an interview in the next few weeks and they expect to get a green card sometime in the next 3-4 weeks.

Here's my question. I know what she's doing is technically illegal... but what I've read online, lots of people do it without ever getting caught. When I started my immigration process, advice I'd been given from this forum suggested that VWP to AOS was risky. Is that old information now? Does she genuinely have nothing to worry about?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP and intent to stay - legality

Am I the only one confused on what basis they are adjusting? Neither is a usc and neither is in the country other than as a tourist.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I assume your friend is a USC, and that's how the husband is adjusting status? You didn't mention that tidbit.

But I would say that it isn't any less risky these days. I think it was reported on here a couple of times that people were actually arrested at their Adjustment of Status interview. That very well could happen to them, or anyone else. Just because they have the interview, it doesn't mean the green card is in the bag. You never know if USCIS will require some additional evidence from him regarding his intent when he entered the country.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Aug 29th 2012 at 3:20 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nica
lots of people do it without ever getting caught.
This is true.

When I started my immigration process, advice I'd been given from this forum suggested that VWP to AOS was risky. Is that old information now?
No, that information is still valid.

Does she genuinely have nothing to worry about?
No, they should still worry.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:23 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The outcome of this would be very interesting to know. The way the OP is written it seems the intent when entering is so obvious, that the adjudicating officer will hardly need hitting around the head with a 2x4 to see it.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I assume your friend is a USC, and that's how the husband is adjusting status? You didn't mention that tidbit.
That would make more sense, I think I just got confused by the mention of VWP and tourist visas.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between the entering using the VWP and entering using a visitor visa, and that difference has significant implications in the context of adjusting status. Do not equate the VWP with a visitor visa.
a friend of mine got married to a non USC (from Mexico, in Mexico). I told her what the legal procedure was, and warned her about him coming here on VWP (in their case, a tourist visa) and adjusting status.
"technically" or otherwise, what she's doing is not illegal. What will be illegal, in the sense that the law does not allow it, will be for the USCIS case officer who conducts the interview to approve the adjustment of status application if the officer realizes what the applicant's intentions were when he entered the USA.
... after getting married, her husband quit his job, sold his house, and moved to the US with her on his pre-existing tourist visa. Starting in June, they filed their paperwork to adjust status. She told me gleefully that they both have to go to an interview in the next few weeks and they expect to get a green card sometime in the next 3-4 weeks.

Here's my question. I know what she's doing is technically illegal...

True enough, in most cases it seems that USCIS case officers often do not realize which applicants for adjustment entered the USA with the intention of immigrating and which did not. However, the consequences of "getting caught" can be much more harsh when one has entered using the VWP (as would have been your case) than when one has entered using a visitor visa (as in your friend's case).
but what I've read online, lots of people do it without ever getting caught. When I started my immigration process, advice I'd been given from this forum suggested that VWP to AOS was risky.
No.
Is that old information now?
No, She and her husband do have something to worry about - the application may be denied. It will be interesting to know what happens. At which District or Sub office is the interview being conducted?
Does she genuinely have nothing to worry about?
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Aug 29th 2012 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lansbury
The outcome of this would be very interesting to know. The way the OP is written it seems the intent when entering is so obvious, that the adjudicating officer will hardly need hitting around the head with a 2x4 to see it.
To be honest, I personally think that in a lot of these situations, the people involved know exactly what they are doing. Of course they have intent! They simply lie about it to immigration and from what I have seen, most of them get away with it too!! I have met 6 people here who came over on a VWP got married and went through the AOS with no problems at all. They saved themselves a shit load of agro and cash! 5 of them came over with intent! It seems to me that as long as you haven't been in trouble with the law the risk factor is almost nil! Sad but true......
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
To be honest, I personally think that in a lot of these situations, the people involved know exactly what they are doing. Of course they have intent! They simply lie about it to immigration and from what I have seen, most of them get away with it too!! I have met 6 people here who came over on a VWP got married and went through the AOS with no problems at all. They saved themselves a shit load of agro and cash! 5 of them came over with intent! It seems to me that as long as you haven't been in trouble with the law the risk factor is almost nil! Sad but true......
Well, I'm sure USCIS and ICE have some sort of fraud hotline you can call up...
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
They do, but they probably won't take such a random call very seriously. One call like that isn't going to make someone go out and investigate.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.
The outcome of this would be very interesting to know.
Somehow I doubt that what the friend's husband told CBP on entry (and will tell USCIS at the adjustment interview) is quite the same as what the friend told the OP.
The way the OP is written it seems the intent when entering is so obvious, that the adjudicating officer will hardly need hitting around the head with a 2x4 to see it.
Regards, JEff
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:47 pm

They do:
http://www.ice.gov/tipline/

But somehow their priorities don't seem to include entering as a nonimmigrant with immigrant intent. And I have to agree.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They do, but they probably won't take such a random call very seriously. One call like that isn't going to make someone go out and investigate.

Rene
Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
They do:
http://www.ice.gov/tipline/

But somehow their priorities don't seem to include entering as a nonimmigrant with immigrant intent. And I have to agree.

Regards, JEff
The suggestion was mostly tongue in cheek. We read far worse in these forums.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the process take so long through regular channels? This would seem to push people into the 'express' route.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:32 pm

Because there are so many people using "regular channels". What you call "the 'express' route" is available to only a limited few pending immigrants.

Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.