Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP AOS Denial Appeal??

Wikiposts

VWP AOS Denial Appeal??

Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:17 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default VWP AOS Denial Appeal??

Hi,
a question here that I am wondering can anyone with experience clarify. If someone enters the US on the VWP and subsequentially marries and applies for AOS and is denied, is there any different rules for them that they cannot appeal the decision? I know on the original entry, a denial at POE cannot be appealed under the VWP, is AOS at a later stage also covered by this clause?

Was mentioned in a thread and it made me wonder how the actual regulation of appeal under the VWP actually works with a spouse of a USC doing an AOS?

Patrick
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

AGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Re: VWP AOS Denial Appeal??

inquisitive40:

If the alien that entered under VWP [I-94W] marries a USC and applies for AOS and it is denied, the alien CANNOT APPEAL. If you read the back of the form I-94W, it clearly states that by accepting to be admitted in the US without a visa you are also 'WAIVING' your right to appeal any immigration proceeding or appear in front of an immigration judge. I don't recall exactly the wording, but I have read already of two cases wherein it has been denied and no appeal can be made. In one of them mentioned by Mr. Fonlinsky, he stated that not even a habeas-corpus would do the trick.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:30 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: VWP AOS Denial Appeal??

Originally Posted by AGUILA
inquisitive40:

If the alien that entered under VWP [I-94W] marries a USC and applies for AOS and it is denied, the alien CANNOT APPEAL. If you read the back of the form I-94W, it clearly states that by accepting to be admitted in the US without a visa you are also 'WAIVING' your right to appeal any immigration proceeding or appear in front of an immigration judge. I don't recall exactly the wording, but I have read already of two cases wherein it has been denied and no appeal can be made. In one of them mentioned by Mr. Fonlinsky, he stated that not even a habeas-corpus would do the trick.
That was my recollection of the I-94w, just needed to clarify it as it was mentioned in passing on a different thread.

Patrick
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AGUILA
inquisitive40:

So what happens then? Does the alien have to leave the country and start the visa process over again??

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Hi,
a question here that I am wondering can anyone with experience clarify. If someone enters the US on the VWP and subsequentially marries and applies for AOS and is denied, is there any different rules for them that they cannot appeal the decision? I know on the original entry, a denial at POE cannot be appealed under the VWP, is AOS at a later stage also covered by this clause?

Was mentioned in a thread and it made me wonder how the actual regulation of appeal under the VWP actually works with a spouse of a USC doing an AOS?

Patrick
Hi:

It is a gray area of the law -- I would not hazzard a definite interpretation. A colleage had a client in that situation where ICE was going to remove without hearing -- he filed a habeas and before the District Court heard the matter, ICE folded and placed the lady in proceedings before an Immigration Judge -- who granted adjustment.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:54 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It is a gray area of the law -- I would not hazzard a definite interpretation. A colleage had a client in that situation where ICE was going to remove without hearing -- he filed a habeas and before the District Court heard the matter, ICE folded and placed the lady in proceedings before an Immigration Judge -- who granted adjustment.
Is it as gray as the whole entering and marrying under the VWP (the whole intent question) or is there a normal procedure of denial of appeal and then up to the applicant to try and fight the denial? Also on what grounds could a denial be fought on considering the original VWP traveller signed a document basically waiving the right to appeal?
Patrick
Old Oct 27th 2004, 11:48 am
jpr
Just Joined

jpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
So if you are refused/denied at the AOS interview after marrying on vwp. What happens then ie. how long do you have to return home..when your ead runs out, in a month etc, is there a time line to this refusal.

Regards
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:17 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpr
Hi
So if you are refused/denied at the AOS interview after marrying on vwp. What happens then ie. how long do you have to return home..when your ead runs out, in a month etc, is there a time line to this refusal.
Regards
Who knows! Has it ever actually happened to a person who has a genuine marriage. Never seen it happen or be mentioned on any forum yet!
The marriage being genuine seems to be USCIS major concern.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MightBe
Who knows! Has it ever actually happened to a person who has a genuine marriage. Never seen it happen or be mentioned on any forum yet!
The marriage being genuine seems to be USCIS major concern.
I was going to say the same.

This question has been raised many a time in various formats but yet to hear a situation where it has been an issue.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Is it as gray as the whole entering and marrying under the VWP (the whole intent question) or is there a normal procedure of denial of appeal and then up to the applicant to try and fight the denial? Also on what grounds could a denial be fought on considering the original VWP traveller signed a document basically waiving the right to appeal?
Patrick
Hi Patrick:

It is not the "intent question" that is the thing. It is a matter of procedure. There is no "appeal" from an adjustment denial, but there is a right to "renew" the adjustment before the Immigration Judge. How can you renew if you don't have that hearing?