VOT: Losing a Pet

Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default VOT: Losing a Pet

Today we had to have our youngest cat, Cheyenne, put down. Of our four cats, 2 American Citizens and 2 Canadian Citizens, Cheyenne was our US baby even though she was 14 years old. Found in the trash on Christmas eve in 1990, she was all black with a calm deposition who loved to lavish you with roaring purrs while she warmed your lap. She lost her left eye when she was about a year old because she slid on the wood floors while playing and ruptured the eye when she hit the corner of a dresser. Chey, as she was called, should have had her name spelled Shy. She would hide under the bed if the doorbell rang but if a man entered the house she would scoot out and promptly make a new friend. Chey abandoned me when I married Jim seven years. She became his girlfriend and at night she would wait until bedtime and when he got up from the computer or the sofa she would talk to him and lead him into the bedroom where she promptly cuddled up against his back.

Losing Chey today to kidney failure brought on by old age made me realize just how precious are pets are to us. I know that many people put Jenn down for the "save the pets" campaign after hurricane Katrina.

Today I can confirm just how emotional both Jim and I are at Chey's death and how we will miss her presence in our lives. I know that all those who lost their pets in both hurricanes are feeling as we are feeling this evening. People who love their pets are people who also love people. At least that is my opinion.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VOT: Losing a Pet

My sympathies, Rete. My little kitty Nato is 16 years old this month. I will be devestated to lose her, so I know how you must feel.

HUGS,
Rene
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:33 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Today we had to have our youngest cat, Cheyenne, put down. Of our four cats, 2 American Citizens and 2 Canadian Citizens, Cheyenne was our US baby even though she was 14 years old. Found in the trash on Christmas eve in 1990, she was all black with a calm deposition who loved to lavish you with roaring purrs while she warmed your lap. She lost her left eye when she was about a year old because she slid on the wood floors while playing and ruptured the eye when she hit the corner of a dresser. Chey, as she was called, should have had her name spelled Shy. She would hide under the bed if the doorbell rang but if a man entered the house she would scoot out and promptly make a new friend. Chey abandoned me when I married Jim seven years. She became his girlfriend and at night she would wait until bedtime and when he got up from the computer or the sofa she would talk to him and lead him into the bedroom where she promptly cuddled up against his back.

Losing Chey today to kidney failure brought on by old age made me realize just how precious are pets are to us. I know that many people put Jenn down for the "save the pets" campaign after hurricane Katrina.

Today I can confirm just how emotional both Jim and I are at Chey's death and how we will miss her presence in our lives. I know that all those who lost their pets in both hurricanes are feeling as we are feeling this evening. People who love their pets are people who also love people. At least that is my opinion.
Hey there Rete:

Your post has me in tears, I am so sorry about your loss. Chey was very much loved by you and Jim, she had a great life with you, I know is hard to find comfort in a moment like this but hey we are here to try to make it better
I can't put into words how much I have loved all my pets: Morilla, Rubilla (Still alive), Negrilla, Senda and Tiger.
Rubilla and Senda are getting old (they are 15 and 12), I have spent a great part of my life with them, I miss them like crazy, they are my family, I will never forget when my brother rescued Rubilla, she was running away from a bunch of kids that wanted to burn her in a bonefire:scared:
Rubilla was very beat up, Her spine was half way broken, the vet even said she wasn't gonna last long due to the severe injuries.
15 years later, she is still with us and we are happy to be part of her life.

May Chey rest in peace.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Rete and Jim, I'm so sorry to hear your story. I understand completely; I lost my 18 y/o old man not that long ago myself. Sadly, the mail just brought his license renewal.

I hope Chey is in kitty heaven, and Alex welcomed her in

PS, for a laugh. I had adopted a kitten to keep Al company in his waning days. She's the first female cat I've had, and she has done the same as your Chey--became the DAH's girlfriend and hardly looked at me since.
<<<Rete>>>
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:04 pm
Isabelle's Mommy

AndysGirl will become famous soon enough

Pets are people to me. They are part of the family. Ive been through a loss of a dog who was 16. It hurts, and it will just as if a person died. Whenever I think of my dog, I still get tears in my eyes. Hang in there, and keep your chin up.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:12 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh Rete and Jim, I'm so sorry to hear your story. I understand completely; I lost my 18 y/o old man not that long ago myself. Sadly, the mail just brought his license renewal.

I hope Chey is in kitty heaven, and Alex welcomed her in

PS, for a laugh. I had adopted a kitten to keep Al company in his waning days. She's the first female cat I've had, and she has done the same as your Chey--became the DAH's girlfriend and hardly looked at me since.
<<<Rete>>>
lol you guys are so funny, the vet told me that most male cats think of women as girlfriends but Tiger is different, he thinks I am his mommy
Hey Meauxna can you post pictures of the cute kitty?? Please!!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:13 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

Today we had to have our youngest cat, Cheyenne, put down.
Rete,

My heart goes out to you and Jim.

My dachshund, Phoenix, has been with me for 9 years and I can't stand the thought of life without her. We've been through so much together. None of my family(the human variety) could understand why I would spend the enormous amount of money on neurosurgery for her so that she would be given back the ability to walk.

I was just commenting today somewhere else about the different sorts of pet owners... those who consider their companions "pets" and consider them expendable and replaceable, then there are those who consider them "family" and love them as much if not more than the humans in their lives.

Chey will live on in your memories.

thing1
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for kind words.

Chey was a medium haired black cat. You could brush her and brush her and there would be no hair in the brush. But she would get up and walk and the hair would fall out in clumps and you never found out where it came from on her body. Jim was just saying no matter much I clean in the next few weeks, I will still be finding clumps of Chey's hair.

The next to go will be CC (crazy cat). She is going to be 17 in March and she is weakening to old age. For me she is a very special cat because she belonged to my former fiancee, Bill, who died in 1991. I took her with me after his death. Losing her will be losing one of my last personal belongings of his. I still have his family who I'm very close to but CC is special.

And before anyone says anything, Jim knows how I felt and feel about Bill. My love for each of them is different but just as strong.

I'm having one of our old regulars to dinner on Sunday, Roger Pennycarte <sp> and his wife Ida. They moved to my area a few months back and this is the first chance we have to met up. Will have a cuppa with them for all of you.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:27 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

Rete,
Condolences on the death of your animals.

On a side note, I thought you said this forum does not discuss animals? I saw you delete one thread for that reason.

Or is it just selective application of the rules/selective amnesia?

=====================

Thank you all for kind words.

Chey was a medium haired black cat. You could brush her and brush her and there would be no hair in the brush. But she would get up and walk and the hair would fall out in clumps and you never found out where it came from on her body. Jim was just saying no matter much I clean in the next few weeks, I will still be finding clumps of Chey's hair.

The next to go will be CC (crazy cat). She is going to be 17 in March and she is weakening to old age. For me she is a very special cat because she belonged to my former fiancee, Bill, who died in 1991. I took her with me after his death. Losing her will be losing one of my last personal belongings of his. I still have his family who I'm very close to but CC is special.

And before anyone says anything, Jim knows how I felt and feel about Bill. My love for each of them is different but just as strong.

I'm having one of our old regulars to dinner on Sunday, Roger Pennycarte <sp> and his wife Ida. They moved to my area a few months back and this is the first chance we have to met up. Will have a cuppa with them for all of you.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Today we had to have our youngest cat, Cheyenne, put down. ..... People who love their pets are people who also love people. At least that is my opinion.
I'm away working at the moment and haven't really got time to post, but I just wanted to say, from one cat lover to another, how very sorry I am for your loss. My last kitty died 18 years ago this coming December 10th, and I still remember it like yesterday, and I still miss her after all these years. I am sure you will remember Chey in the same way.

Elvira
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:43 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

This thread reminds me of my grandfather who died in 1985 and I still miss him. My human grandfather.

After 1985, our family lost 4 or so family pets, including cats and rabbits, but its my grandfather I remember more than those animals.

===========================

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm away working at the moment and haven't really got time to post, but I just wanted to say, from one cat lover to another, how very sorry I am for your loss. My last kitty died 18 years ago this coming December 10th, and I still remember it like yesterday, and I still miss her after all these years. I am sure you will remember Chey in the same way.

Elvira
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
lol you guys are so funny, the vet told me that most male cats think of women as girlfriends but Tiger is different, he thinks I am his mommy
Hey Meauxna can you post pictures of the cute kitty?? Please!!
omg, I'll probably go to Usenet Hell for this (no, these are not going to usenet!)

In the first one, Wanda is being a gracious hostess to her guest, Fred the Dog. Wanda think that taking Fred's bed is a Good Thing.
The other is Alex and Wanda at the beach. Alex was known all his life for being the fattest cat anyone ever met, but he ended his days looking like the Velvateen Rabbit.. he's pretty thin here.
Attached Thumbnails VOT:  Losing a Pet-3-2.jpg   VOT:  Losing a Pet-alexwanda.jpg  

Last edited by meauxna; Oct 19th 2005 at 11:51 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:02 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Today we had to have our youngest cat, Cheyenne, put down.
Sheila and I are so very sorry for your loss. We are both animal lovers and currently have two dogs, a cat, and a tank full of fish. Momma Cat is now 17. When she was 15 we thought we'd lose her... she didn't eat or drink for about 2 weeks and barely moved out of her bed. Suddenly though, she picked right up and has been going strong ever since!

May I respectfully suggest www.petloss.com.

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
omg, I'll probably go to Usenet Hell for this (no, these are not going to usenet!)

In the first one, Wanda is being a gracious hostess to her guest, Fred the Dog. Wanda think that taking Fred's bed is a Good Thing.
The other is Alex and Wanda at the beach. Alex was known all his life for being the fattest cat anyone ever met, but he ended his days looking like the Velvateen Rabbit.. he's pretty thin here.
They are so precious!!, Thank you so much for the pictures, I am saving them to a folder named "pet's pictures", I have over a 100!, hope you don't mind
We should start a thread in the lounge about our beloved pets<insert loving smiley here>
The dog is also adorable.
Thanks Thanks Thanks!

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Oct 20th 2005 at 3:23 am.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sheila and I are so very sorry for your loss. We are both animal lovers and currently have two dogs, a cat, and a tank full of fish. Momma Cat is now 17. When she was 15 we thought we'd lose her... she didn't eat or drink for about 2 weeks and barely moved out of her bed. Suddenly though, she picked right up and has been going strong ever since!

May I respectfully suggest www.petloss.com.

Ian
Hey Ian, thanks for the website!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.