>K-3's on this board that have had temporary visits to the United States,
    >it appears to be the case.
    >LondonConsular also emailed me said visits *are* allowed on a K-3, _as
    >long as the foreign citizen shows proof of residence in the UK and
    >intent to return.*

Doesn't seem like it.. Well, I suppose it COULD have gone even easier, but I
had ZERO problems visiting my fiance from Canada. I told them upfront (in
Toronto) that I was visiting my fiance in San Francisco.. Customs agent
asked: "What's the gameplan?" so I told him - K-1, etc..

A bit of conversation, that was it, about 5-7 minutes max.. Didn't need the
letter from my employer or anything..

Also had the parking receipt for my car (parked closed to the airport) ready
    :-)

Mattias

Old Nov 21st 2003, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

mdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Visits to the US whilst waiting for KI visa

Originally posted by paul6831h
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make a short Visist to the US whilst waiting for the K1. Once you have started the process are your deatails entereed into the Immigration Computer, and if a visit is made what kind of proof would you require that you are going to retrn to your home country.
I'm just visiting my wife while waiting for the K3, and going via Toronto. I had about an hour long interview with various officers, before they decided to let me in. Apparently what i should have shown first was the email from the embassy saying that what i'm doing is allowed.

It took until the main interviewer saw his supervisor that they realised i was allowed to enter.

All i can say is, email the embassy asking them whether it is allowed, and get the standard response.

Bring lots of proof, work, house, etc, etc, and make sure the email from the embassy is one of the first things that you show when you start getting questioned.

Make sure you have about 4 hours between connecting flights, i had 2 hours, and because of the interview missed the 2nd flight. Ended up staying at a hotel for the night in Toronto. It's better to hang around bored, than miss flight/miss a night with loved one.

Last edited by mdaitc; Nov 21st 2003 at 11:05 am.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 11:14 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting there Matt. How long are you staying there?

You know, the more I hear about all this, the more I decide to err on the side of caution and not go out in February.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

mdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant future

Originally posted by sibsie
Congrats on getting there Matt. How long are you staying there?

You know, the more I hear about all this, the more I decide to err on the side of caution and not go out in February.
2 months... but i expect to be home sooner to go visit the jolly nice people in London for a visa

I'd almost say it's not worth risking it. If you get refused, it might harm the visa process, you'll lose money on the air fare, and generally feel even more miserable than usual. Probably best to stick being less miserable the whole time.

On the other hand, i made it through. I brought every bit of paper we've ever used for applying for the visas, and he said "do you have any paperwork?", i laughed and went to my bag and pulled out a 4" stack - his face changed quite a bit.. It's a lot of stress being interviewed i think, they leave you alone in the room for periods of time, probably deliberately. Having said that, i couldn't fault them, they're polite and the guy i had wasn't mean.

The interviewer said that i should have shown him the bit of paper from the embassy to begin with, rather than right at the end, and that it was a key bit of paper.

Oh well, off to get a flight to the US, and to brave US immigration again - i'm still in Canada, but do have a stamped passport. this could be fun
Old Nov 21st 2003, 11:33 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mdaitc
Oh well, off to get a flight to the US, and to brave US immigration again - i'm still in Canada, but do have a stamped passport. this could be fun
Well done for being the offical guinea pig and making it through.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mattias Hembruch

Also had the parking receipt for my car (parked closed to the airport) ready
    :-)

Mattias

ROFL!