Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting USA after visa is approved K1

Wikiposts

Visiting USA after visa is approved K1

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Alex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really nice
Default Visiting USA after visa is approved K1

May I ask if you can visit the USA on ESTA waiver even if your passport has the K1 visa issue in it/ with it (Not sure what does appear in your passport).
For example if I am waiting for a sale of property here, and I have an approved visa yet am not ready to move ( I know that you have six months on which to use the visa) yet want to visit my fiance or check USA schools etc, is that possible, or am I not able to do so after the visa has been issued unless I am using it? Just need to check or plan for that time!
Thank you
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 6:36 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting USA after visa is approved K1

Something like this will be in your passport.
http://www.usimmigrationjourney.com/...-fiancee-visa/
Originally Posted by Alex3110
May I ask if you can visit the USA on ESTA waiver even if your passport has the K1 visa issue in it/ with it (Not sure what does appear in your passport).

This question has been discussed fairly often - a simple search of this forum should turn up several discussion.
For example if I am waiting for a sale of property here, and I have an approved visa yet am not ready to move ( I know that you have six months on which to use the visa) yet want to visit my fiance or check USA schools etc, is that possible, or am I not able to do so after the visa has been issued unless I am using it? Just need to check or plan for that time!
Thank you
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Alex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Something like this will be in your passport.
http://www.usimmigrationjourney.com/...-fiancee-visa/

This question has been discussed fairly often - a simple search of this forum should turn up several discussion.

Regards, JEff
Sorry but I am unable to find the answer I am looking for ( I have tried different searches) . I know there is plenty talk about visiting the states on an ESTA visa during the process that the K1 is going through normal procedure, but I cant find the answer for when you actually have the k1 visa in your passport. Can you still travel to the states and on the ESTA despite the K1 being in the passport and tell immigration that you are not using the K1 visa on this particular trip?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you still travel to the states and on the ESTA despite the K1 being in the passport and tell immigration that you are not using the K1 visa on this particular trip?
You can travel to the states with a K-1 visa in your passport and ASK to be allowed in on the VWP instead of the K-1. The POE officer will make the decision whether to let you do that or not.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can travel to the states with a K-1 visa in your passport and ASK to be allowed in on the VWP instead of the K-1. The POE officer will make the decision whether to let you do that or not.

Rene
So that sounds a bit risky since the K1 can only be used once, should the POE officer not allow my ESTA waiver which I have valid until end 2012, I could be in big trouble especially as my children wouldnt be with me!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 2:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So that sounds a bit risky since the K1 can only be used once, should the POE officer not allow my ESTA waiver which I have valid until end 2012, I could be in big trouble especially as my children wouldnt be with me!
Yes, definitely something to consider.

At the POE, you can ask, but it's not guaranteed that you'll be let in on the VWP.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:25 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There's no such thing as an ESTA visa. ESTA is a procedure to obtain authorization to use the Visa Waiver Program (i.e. no visa required).
I know there is plenty talk about visiting the states on an ESTA visa
Because, what you should have found is that the is no answer - until you arrive at the POE and the CBP officer who inspects makes a decision.
during the process that the K1 is going through normal procedure, but I cant find the answer for when you actually have the k1 visa in your passport.
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Have to back up what both Noorah and Jeffery have said.

There are no G-tees that the POE will allow you to enter on the VWP if you already have a visa of another kind.