Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting US while waiting for K1

Wikiposts

Visiting US while waiting for K1

Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting US while waiting for K1

Okay, someone may get ticked at me for saying this, but it has to be said. How would USCIS ever know that he worked while he was here? I've always wanted to know the answer to this.

I know people come here on business trips, or just for meetings. I'm sure they arent' applying for B1 visas everytime. So how do they get around it?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:31 am
Just Joined

stevew is an unknown quantity at this point

I would still intend on staying for the duration. These are the dates I've booked my flights for now.

Worst case scenario, what would happen if I was refused entry? Would that affect my chances of getting my K1 and affect the whole process?

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

gstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevew
Hi

My last entry to the US was back in February and I was there for 4 days. Before that it was January for about the same length of time.

Can I ask what you had as evidence of ties in the UK that they weren't happy with?

Thanks
Steven
I didn't have any. I'm self employed and had taken some time off work. I had moved out from my own place and into my folks - to save some money whilst traveling. I look back now and know why I was denied. It's a chance to take.

I'd go for it. Your trips have been short and the last one was quite some time ago.

Do you own a car? Have any other loans?

NEVER lie to immigration. Just answer what they ask, honestly. And if you can find some stronger ties.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I would still intend on staying for the duration. These are the dates I've booked my flights for now.

Worst case scenario, what would happen if I was refused entry? Would that affect my chances of getting my K1 and affect the whole process?

Thanks
No, being refused for lack of ties should not affect your chances for a K-1 at all.

For the record, my then fiance came over for several 89 day trips, and was never asked for proof of ties.

As this is your first long trip, your odds of being ok are pretty good.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your input gstring.

How long was your trip for and were you intending to visit someone when you were denied? Also, did your entry denial affect your Visa application?

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks tracym.

That's reassuring to hear that. I guess a lot of it is down to the mood of the immigration officer at the other side!?

Thanks
Steve
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

How long was your trip for and were you intending to visit someone when you were denied? Also, did your entry denial affect your Visa application?

Thanks
Hi:

What ever you do, do NOT lie to the border guards. A VW refusal is not a formal removal. The only penalty is that you must return home immediately and you are barred from future use of VW. However, if you are even perceived as having lied, then there will be a "212(a)(6)(C)" finding and that is a bar to a K-1 visa.

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks tracym.

That's reassuring to hear that. I guess a lot of it is down to the mood of the immigration officer at the other side!?

Thanks
Steve
As far as your visit goes - it's just if you look suspicious to them. And yep, then their mood. But you haven't spent significant time here before, so hopefully you won't be too suspicious.

I suppose they might ask how you can have that much time off work. So you'd need an answer to that.

As far as affecting the K-1 visa, there really isn't any reason for it to. If they just refuse you for lack of ties - that issue no longer exists when you're coming on a K-1. You won't have done anything "wrong".
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

gstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I was in and out of the country over a period of 18 months. I was there visiting my Fiance. I used the VWP to it's full potential, used it for many long trips and like I said - now I know why I was denied. It wasn't until my last visit was I asked about ties.

I was assured I had done nothing wrong or was in any trouble. I was told just to go home and apply for a visa.

I'm now in the process of our K1 and from what I'm told - the denial has no negative impact on my application.

Relax and listen to what is being said here.

Last edited by gstring; Sep 14th 2008 at 1:07 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
How would USCIS ever know that he worked while he was here?
If it's all web-based, they probably won't ever find out. That said, it's probably not a good idea to break the law even if no one knows... something about personal integrity and moral conscience.

Ian
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:06 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee visited me several times duing our visa process. He said he was on holiday which was true. He brouht eveidence of returning to the UK such as the deed to his house, bank staements and employment letter but was never asked for it.