Visiting US during Fiancee Visa process

Wikiposts

Visiting US during Fiancee Visa process

Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:34 am
Account Closed

tinadawn1961 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting US during Fiancee Visa process

Hello Everyone

I'm new to this site and have really enjoyed reading up on the visa process - in some ways it makes me very nervous, seeing some of the potential problems that can arise and in other ways, it makes me feel very happy in that there is somewhere to ask all the silly questions I know I'll have during the whole process.

On that note - the first silly question is......

My 'intended' has already submitted the first petition, so we are waiting for that process to go through. In the meantime, on December 10th, I am going to visit him in Detroit for five weeks over Christmas and New Year on the VWP (I am a UKC) and I am unsure as to how I should answer the IO at the POE when he asks the purpose of the visit.......see??? you can tell I've been reading up, getting the hang of all the jargon.

I don't want to upset the visa process and create any possible trouble by answering that I am visiting my fiancee so, should I say that I am just visiting a friend instead?

I have all my return tickets booked and paid for, I have my own home (albeit a council rented flat) in the UK and two jobs that I need to return to (and will have letters from them both stating when they expect me back to work).

I just don't want any hassle and dread the thought of being turned away - though as far as I can see, there is no reason that I should be turned away - probably just being paranoid...........

So please help.......

Thank you

Tina
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting US during Fiancee Visa process

Originally Posted by tinadawn1961
... I am unsure as to how I should answer the IO at the POE when he asks the purpose of the visit...see?
Hello Tina - welcome to BE.

If asked, you tell them the truth - you are here for the Christmas holidays and you're visiting with your boyfriend. It's good that you're bringing proof of your ties to the UK, but don't volunteer that information... use it only if you're asked.

Ian
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

When I visited my hubby to be a couple of weeks ago, I simply said that I was "on holiday" which was the absolute truth...they didn't ask who I was visiting so I didn't volunteer that. It should be dead simple, especially if you have proof of your ties to home.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:15 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I visited each other several times during his K1 visa process. He always said he was on holiday and I did the same. He brought proof of ties to the UK but they never asked anything. I was worried as well but we never had any problems
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really nice
Smile Re: Visiting US during Fiancee Visa process

well its been a while since i posted on here.... but my last one back in August had similar worries.

I've been shuttling back and forth to NY to visit my finace for the last 12 months. Travelling on a visa waiver and reading the board, started to make me a little worried that I was going to be questioned more thoroughly the more I travelled.

However that - so far - has proved to be far from the case. I was particularly worried about being questioned / delayed and maybe even denied entry before a month long trip in late September and then again before a week long trip in late october with my daughter. Neither proved to be a problem and in both cases I was asked nothing different to previous visits.

So my advice would be just go for it - have your proof just in case and be totally honest with the officials - you have a visa application and in time thats going to sort everything out for you.

All the best

xx
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jane1961

So my advice would be just go for it - have your proof just in case and be totally honest with the officials - you have a visa application and in time thats going to sort everything out for you.

All the best

xx
Hi:

Somewhat OT, its just that I've been involved in litigation regarding other parts of the K visa scheme and so I am up on the history of the thing -- it didn't come into existence until 1970, was extensively amended in 1986 and then the 2005 IMBRA legislation.

In 1970, foreign travel was expensive. The 747 began to fly just that year [it was over twice as large as the then common 707]. A lot of international travel was by ship. The whole idea of the K-1 was to avoid having the US travel abroad and had an assumption that not only would the alien partner have legal trouble to travel, but that it was so expensive to travel.

Also, the stated legal mores of the time assumed that people did not engage in pre-marital intercourse.

So, from a historical viewpoint, there is a lot of tension between a 1970 law and the world today.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really nice

Interesting comment

Historical context is always extremely important don't you think?