Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting the US after Visa Application

Visiting the US after Visa Application

Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

london2008 has a spectacular aura aboutlondon2008 has a spectacular aura aboutlondon2008 has a spectacular aura about
Default Visiting the US after Visa Application

Hi all,

Firstly a quick summary of my situation. I am UK citizen marrying a USC and we're following the K1 visa process. My fiancee submitted I-129F in early February and we're now waiting for the NOA2.

My question is - Can I visit my fiance in the US while the visa process is underway? And if so, is there anything I should be aware of before entering the US?

I ask this because I have read stories about people being denied entry at PoE. I would like to visit for a weekend in late May and again around Thanksgiving or Christmas time. We plan to get married in May 2009, providing my visa is granted.

Thanks in advance,
Sally.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting the US after Visa Application

Originally Posted by london2008
Can I visit my fiance in the US while the visa process is underway?
Yes... absolutely!

And if so, is there anything I should be aware of before entering the US?
Be sure to bring solid proof of your ongoing ties to the UK.

I ask this because I have read stories about people being denied entry at PoE.
This is *always* the risk you take. Only US citizens have the right of entry to the US... and everyone else can be denied, including those who have a visa or a green card!

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

london2008 has a spectacular aura aboutlondon2008 has a spectacular aura aboutlondon2008 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Be sure to bring solid proof of your ongoing ties to the UK.
Thanks for your response. What examples of solid proof would you suggest? I pay a mortgage on a house and so can carry bank statements. I'm currently out of work and so unless I get a job soon, won't be able to bring an employer's letter. Anything else?

Thank you.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

I visited my fiance while waiting for the NOA2 and had no problems at the POE. I brought with me a copy of the title deeds to my home and a letter from my employer stating when I was expected back at work.

I was only asked how long I was staying and my reason for visiting. I didn't need any of the evidence I had with me but I felt much better having it 'just in case'.

Good luck.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:41 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london2008
Hi all,

Firstly a quick summary of my situation. I am UK citizen marrying a USC and we're following the K1 visa process. My fiancee submitted I-129F in early February and we're now waiting for the NOA2.

My question is - Can I visit my fiance in the US while the visa process is underway? And if so, is there anything I should be aware of before entering the US?

I ask this because I have read stories about people being denied entry at PoE. I would like to visit for a weekend in late May and again around Thanksgiving or Christmas time. We plan to get married in May 2009, providing my visa is granted.

Thanks in advance,
Sally.
My Fiancee visited me in New York no problem. He did bring eveidence that he was going back to the Uk and a letter from his employer. This was just this past February.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:43 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My Fiancee also brought the deed to his house and his return ticket. They can deny anybody if they want in any country though. Hre just told them he was on holiday as well and didn't mention visisting his fiancee