Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

Wikiposts

Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

Originally Posted by Titchski
Very good advice Meau - might well reset the naturalization cock if you're out longer than 6 months(that typo will never, ever get old)
lolz, the cock isn't reset til one year.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

Originally Posted by callowman
I Have a green card-went back to the UK- you could stay up to a year but not over a year but that was in the late 80s-probably all changed now.?
Hi:

From which country did you have a "green card?" You give the impression to the lay reader that you are talking about the US. To this professional eye, you are not. Also, there has been no change in US law on this.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
One important thing about "6 months" is that it breaks "continuous residence" for naturalization purposes (yes, you can be a dual citizen).

For info on your original question, you could google "Now That You Are A Permanent Resident" which explains your rights/responsibilities as a PR and the "Guide to Naturalization".

Sigh. Sigh again.

This is a very complicated area of the law. It defies generalization and there exceptions to its many rules and concepts.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:43 pm
Banned

SunnyMeadow is an unknown quantity at this point

My apologies as I forgot to ask one question about this situation.

How often must I visit the UK (and stay there?) to keep my citizenship "current" or to retain my right to enter the UK in the normal way with my British passport (even if this includes having to complete some minor paperwork)?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunnyMeadow
My apologies as I forgot to ask one question about this situation.

How often must I visit the UK (and stay there?) to keep my citizenship "current" or to retain my right to enter the UK in the normal way with my British passport (even if this includes having to complete some minor paperwork)?
I think that your question was answered before. As a British Citizen with a passport you can enter and leave the UK whenever you want. In 50 years time if necessary. Just keep your passport up-to-date.
I assume that you are a British Citizen and not a British National, for example.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:07 am
Banned

SunnyMeadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AlanR
I think that your question was answered before. As a British Citizen with a passport you can enter and leave the UK whenever you want. In 50 years time if necessary. Just keep your passport up-to-date.
I assume that you are a British Citizen and not a British National, for example.
Perhaps I am getting confused with my status of being domiciled in another country for income/tax purposes.

And yes, I am a British citizen.

Last edited by SunnyMeadow; Dec 23rd 2008 at 12:12 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:15 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunnyMeadow
Perhaps I am getting confused with my status of being domiciled in another country for income/tax purposes.

And yes, I am a British citizen.
Yes, you're confused. Tax status has nothing to do with immigration status.

Your questions have been answered. You don't need to do anything when returning to the UK, and you can stay out of the UK indefinitely and still retain citizenship.

If you stay out of the US for too long your Green Card status may be at risk, but that's a much more complicated subject. If you have the intention of remaining resident in the US then a trip back to the UK of ~3 months should be fine.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Sigh. Sigh again.

This is a very complicated area of the law. It defies generalization and there exceptions to its many rules and concepts.
AND they can't all be put into a post AND a person has to start somewhere.

I wish you knew how many people I've referred to you over the years for this topic.