Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

Wikiposts

Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:45 pm
Banned

SunnyMeadow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

I apologise if these standard pieces of information are available somewhere (didn't know where to start searching to be honest).

I am a British citizen with a valid British passport and I left the UK in 2007.
It has now been more than a year (but less than 2) since I left the UK and I have not been back since I left.
I am now living & working in the USA but I still have a home in the UK & family.
I have to now return for a visit, which could last anything from a couple of weeks to 3 months.

How long can I stay in the UK and do I need to do anything other than booking a flight and taking my British passport with me?

For example, do I have to prove anything or explain why I have been out of the UK for so long?

If there is a site with this information, please could you provide the address.

Thanks for any help/guidance.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

No need to do anything, just get a ticket and don't forget your passport.

I assume you have a green card or visa of some sort to come back the US
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:51 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK from USA after being in USA for 1 Yr+. Length of stay, etc.

Note on the US end there may be limits to how long you can be out of the United States before re-entry becomes difficult (even if you have a green card/lpr, which can be 'abandoned' if gone too long).

All depends on your current visa situation.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Note on the US end there may be limits to how long you can be out of the United States before re-entry becomes difficult (even if you have a green card/lpr, which can be 'abandoned' if gone too long).

All depends on your current visa situation.
Thanks for your reply.
I have a non conditional green card, valid for 10 years from this summer.

Do you know what all the limits are for how long I can out of the US?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Norri
No need to do anything, just get a ticket and don't forget your passport.

I assume you have a green card or visa of some sort to come back the US
Yes, I have a green card.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunnyMeadow
Thanks for your reply.

Do you know what all the limits are for how long I can out of the US?
Technically, 1 day if your intent is to leave. Reality, after 6 months you might have problems. After a year you will likely have some issues at re-entry. More than that and you better have arranged for your trip in advance (there is a form you can file if leaving for certain reasons).

More here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Green_Card_Abandonment
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:38 pm
Banned

Technically, 1 day if your intent is to leave. Reality, after 6 months you might have problems. After a year you will likely have some issues at re-entry. More than that and you better have arranged for your trip in advance (there is a form you can file if leaving for certain reasons).

More here:

Thanks very much for your help and the above link.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:42 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

I Have a green card-went back to the UK- you could stay up to a year but not over a year but that was in the late 80s-probably all changed now.?

More here:

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:46 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving this thread to an immigration forum for any additional replies.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I am moving this thread to an immigration forum for any additional replies.
I thought that starting the thread in US Immigration section wasn't really appropriate, which is why I didn't.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:04 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that starting the thread in US Immigration section wasn't really appropriate, which is why I didn't.
I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't find your answers in this very immigration forum. Please search within the forum.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How long can I stay in the UK...
You're a UK citizen, you can stay in the UK as long as you like!

Generally, you can stay up to 6 months outside of the US with no problems re-entering. If you are out of the US more than 6 months but less than a year, you might have to go to secondary inspection so that your status can be verified, but even if you are denied entry (if they suspect that you have abandoned your status), you have the *right* to a hearing before an immigration judge who will make the final determination.

It's a good idea, if you're going to be outside the US for more than 6 months, to get a re-entry permit... file form I-131 (www.uscis.gov). The permit is valid for up to two years... but you should be sure to maintain ties to the US... pay taxes, keep a valid driver's license, rent/mortgage, insurance... stuff like that.

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:42 am
Banned

Thanks to everyone for your useful help with this
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Generally, you can stay up to 6 months outside of the US with no problems re-entering. If you are out of the US more than 6 months but less than a year, you might have to go to secondary inspection so that your status can be verified, but even if you are denied entry (if they suspect that you have abandoned your status), you have the *right* to a hearing before an immigration judge who will make the final determination.
One important thing about "6 months" is that it breaks "continuous residence" for naturalization purposes (yes, you can be a dual citizen).

For info on your original question, you could google "Now That You Are A Permanent Resident" which explains your rights/responsibilities as a PR and the "Guide to Naturalization".
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:04 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
One important thing about "6 months" is that it breaks "continuous residence" for naturalization purposes (yes, you can be a dual citizen).

For info on your original question, you could google "Now That You Are A Permanent Resident" which explains your rights/responsibilities as a PR and the "Guide to Naturalization".
Very good advice Meau - might well reset the naturalization cock if you're out longer than 6 months(that typo will never, ever get old)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.