Visiting the U.S. while an I-130 is processing

Wikiposts

Visiting the U.S. while an I-130 is processing

Old Jan 14th 2005, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Jeanette&Ian is on a distinguished road
Default Visiting the U.S. while an I-130 is processing

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I just cannot seem to get an answer to so I'm hoping someone here can help.

The main question is, I just sent in my I-130 petition to California (for the 2nd time via the London Embassy) and received my NOA receipt letter thingy. It's going to take another 4-5 months for them to do their thing before sending it off to the NVS, so during that time, if I want my husband to come visit me in the United States, is there any reason he would be denied entry if he tells them he is coming to visit his wife? Will the I-130 get in the way of him visiting me for a couple weeks?
Is there anything we can do to ensure his entry thru Borders and Customs goes smoothly? Like showing them his roundtrip ticket? Proof of employment? House payment statements? Bank statements?

Maybe I am worrying too much over nothing but it's hard enough knowing we're gonna be apart this long but it's even worse to think they'd deny entry just because he has an I-130 pending. I know a lot of people go thru this process illegally but I am not and I don't want to be screwed over for it.

I did call the Borders and Customs people at LAX but she told me she didn't know what I was talking about and to call Immigration Services, bleh. I am going to call them back at 8am though coz they are the ones who do the admitting...

And yes, I know I can always visit him in the U.K. but I think that will be difficult to do because the U.S. has crap vacation days and no vacation days in the first year at all.

Please let me know if he is likely to encounter problems at Border Control or if I am just worrying too much.

Thanks!

Jeanette