Reload this Page >

Visiting Spouse on VWP??

Wikiposts

Visiting Spouse on VWP??

Old May 29th 2010, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Matt.Hanky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting Spouse on VWP??

I married a US Citizen a few months ago whilst in the US under the VWP. I had and have no intention of staying in the US, we only did it because we didn't want to have a family wedding and then be separated whilst she applied for a Visa to the uk. I returned to England to complete my degree and she applied for a settlement Visa to the UK. She has now received that Visa . We have a family reception planned in the summer in the US and then a honeymoon in Mexico. I am aware that I can legally enter the US under the VWP to visit her, go on holiday, and then return with to the UK, but I am concerned that it will look suspicious when I arrive and declare I am visiting my wife, especially as I will just have graduated and might not have found employment in the UK yet. Obviously I will have my return ticket with me, I have also booked my wifes ticket to the Uk on the same card so will also be able to produce that too, along with a marriage certificate to show that my wife's name matches the person I have booked a ticket for.

Can anybody tell me if there is anything else I can do? Would a notarized photocopy of her Settlement Visa to the UK be helpful?? Should I have a problem?
Old May 29th 2010, 6:12 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Spouse on VWP??

Originally Posted by Matt.Hanky
I married a US Citizen a few months ago whilst in the US under the VWP. I had and have no intention of staying in the US, we only did it because we didn't want to have a family wedding and then be separated whilst she applied for a Visa to the uk. I returned to England to complete my degree and she applied for a settlement Visa to the UK. She has now received that Visa . We have a family reception planned in the summer in the US and then a honeymoon in Mexico. I am aware that I can legally enter the US under the VWP to visit her, go on holiday, and then return with to the UK, but I am concerned that it will look suspicious when I arrive and declare I am visiting my wife, especially as I will just have graduated and might not have found employment in the UK yet. Obviously I will have my return ticket with me, I have also booked my wifes ticket to the Uk on the same card so will also be able to produce that too, along with a marriage certificate to show that my wife's name matches the person I have booked a ticket for.

Can anybody tell me if there is anything else I can do? Would a notarized photocopy of her Settlement Visa to the UK be helpful?? Should I have a problem?
Bring proof that she has that permit to reside in the UK as well as proof of educational/work/property ties that you have in the UK.

There may be concern, but unless you have a history of prior long trips to the US I suspect you can overcome the concerns.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Matt.Hanky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I don't know whether I will be employed by then, and I will just have graduated. I do have a rental contract which expires a couple months later in september, would that be useful?
Old May 29th 2010, 12:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt.Hanky
Thanks! I don't know whether I will be employed by then, and I will just have graduated. I do have a rental contract which expires a couple months later in september, would that be useful?
You need to show the border agent (if asked) things that show that your US citizen is moving to the UK, and that you aren't moving here illegally.