Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting pre or post K-1 interview, which is easier?

Wikiposts

Visiting pre or post K-1 interview, which is easier?

Old May 10th 2002, 5:20 am
Mike

Default Visiting pre or post K-1 interview, which is easier?

Hey all. Here's our situation. I'm the USC and my finacee is Canadian. We got our K-1
second NOA approval on May 2nd. However we'd REALLY like to go to this party together
in the States in mid-July. Now we could hurry and try to get our K-1 interview before
the party, or delay a bit and get it after. We plan to get married in October, and
are having a BIG non-legal ceremony in Canada before she uses the K-1 to cross.

Do you think it would be easier for my fiancee to enter the States from Canada WITH a
K-1 visa, but without using it, or would it be easier to get across the border while
the K-1 process is still in progress (post 2nd NOA but before interview)?

If anyone has any stories about doing either, please share. I know that either way,
it's completely up to the INS agent at the border. In my mind, having the K-1 and not
using it seems to make more sense (Like, "Look, Mr. INS agent. We HAVE a K-1! Why
would she stay in the US illegally, when she could cross legally?), but my fiancee
thinks that waiting to get our K-1 is better. Thanks.

Mike.