Wikiposts

Visiting girlfriend

Old Apr 18th 2012, 5:55 am
Just Joined

dan_s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting girlfriend

Hi, I am planning on visiting my girlfriend in the US in a couple of months, I'm from the UK and have had my ESTA authorized and am under the VWP. I've been reading around the internet about different situations where people in a similar situation I have been in have been refused entry into the US due to this. I met my girlfriend on-line last year and we have been talking pretty much every night since, I haven't met her in person yet though and she has invited me to stay with her and her parents for 5 days that I have booked off work. I am ready to book the flight and have over $1000 spending money available but the only thing that is stopping me from doing this is the terrifying fact that I could be refused entry and sent home. I'm not sure how to go about answering questions at CBP or whether they will ask me awkward questions at all. I just want to go to the US to have a short holiday and get to know my friend.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Dan

Last edited by dan_s; Apr 18th 2012 at 5:58 am.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:04 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting girlfriend

Tell them only what they ask, but be polite. If they ask, tell them you're visiting a friend. They will only refuse entry if they believe you are coming over with the intent of staying and not returning. If you have a return ticket booked, are only staying for a short period and then flying back to a job in the UK, it's unlikely to be an issue.
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_s
Hi, I am planning on visiting my girlfriend in the US in a couple of months, I'm from the UK and have had my ESTA authorized and am under the VWP. I've been reading around the internet about different situations where people in a similar situation I have been in have been refused entry into the US due to this. I met my girlfriend on-line last year and we have been talking pretty much every night since, I haven't met her in person yet though and she has invited me to stay with her and her parents for 5 days that I have booked off work. I am ready to book the flight and have over $1000 spending money available but the only thing that is stopping me from doing this is the terrifying fact that I could be refused entry and sent home. I'm not sure how to go about answering questions at CBP or whether they will ask me awkward questions at all. I just want to go to the US to have a short holiday and get to know my friend.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Dan
First time I visited my then g/f, now wife, it was for a similar short period of time, and I had no problems. The only difference was that we had already met in person when she came to the UK for a summer language course. I got my boss to sign me a letter giving my expected return to work date but I was never asked to show it.
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... the only thing that is stopping me from doing this is the terrifying fact that I could be refused entry and sent home.
Being refused entry is always the risk you take when you ask permission to enter the US. That said, for every horror story you read about, there are - literally - hundreds of thousands of visitors to the US who have no problems whatsoever being admitted. Try to keep things in perspective.

I'm not sure how to go about answering questions at CBP or whether they will ask me awkward questions at all.
You answer all questions honestly and succinctly. Do not volunteer any information not specifically asked for. Example: If asked "do you know what time it is?" the only correct answer is either "yes" or "no". Keep this in mind, and you'll be fine.

Ian
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Hi guys, Thanks for the speedy replies, This has made me feel a bit more at ease about going now, I'll arrange for my boss to right me a letter explaining when I'm due back at work, I'll ensure I say I'm visiting friends which is true because I'm friends with her and her mother as I frequently email her aswell, When I state I'm staying with friends, How would I go about explaining how I met them or how I know them? They don't seem to make it easy for people wanting to meet friends they have made online.
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Dan
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi again all, I've been doing some thinking and I've decided to go ahead and book my flight to the US, I will be connecting via Dublin where I will clear US customs & Immigration there. Would it be a good idea to just tell them the truth about visiting my girlfriend who I've never met, I will have proof of my ties to the UK which include: Return ticket (Only staying for 6 days) Payslips from work, A letter from my boss at work stating when I am due back and adequate funds to spend while I am there. Or should I just book a hotel and claim I am visiting the country alone?
Thanks,
Dan
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again all, I've been doing some thinking and I've decided to go ahead and book my flight to the US, I will be connecting via Dublin where I will clear US customs & Immigration there. Would it be a good idea to just tell them the truth about visiting my girlfriend who I've never met, I will have proof of my ties to the UK which include: Return ticket (Only staying for 6 days) Payslips from work, A letter from my boss at work stating when I am due back and adequate funds to spend while I am there. Or should I just book a hotel and claim I am visiting the country alone?
Thanks,
Dan
Just answer whatever questions they ask you truthfully. Do not offer any extra info unless asked. I personally think that, because you've never met this lady, you could quite accurately describe her as your friend rather than girlfriend, but that's up to you.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you have the contact information of your 'friend' (address, phone number) as they may well ask you where you're staying.

I actually was in the same position as you when I met my (now) wife. She met me at the airport and we went to Virginia to stay with some friends and help them move. I didn't have an address and they took me to one side and made me wait for quite a while before deciding I was ok to enter. It was scary - I had visions of being sent back on the next flight, but all worked out well and we've been married 14 years now!

This was all pre-9/11 when all they cared about was whether you'd leave again rather than other nefarious ulterior motives!

As others have said, just say you're visiting friends and show your return ticket and you should be fine.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

There is nothing wrong with visiting a girlfriend in the US. It might attract some questions but you have nothing to hide!

Just be honest and consistent. If you refer to her as a 'friend', just remember that they could call her and ask her who you are. If she then refers to you as a 'boyfriend', you have just lied to Immigration.

They could look through your luggage - if there is anything in there indicating that the two of you are in a relationship when you have just said you are visiting a 'friend', you have just lied to Immigration.

You could say you are travelling alone, but you will need to have the address of where you are staying - anything other than a hotel address could attract further questions.

These are big 'ifs' - I have visited my husband on several occasions and have never had any problems. I just explain that I am here for a short holiday with my husband (or fiancé / boyfriend as it was at the time). I always have documents ready to prove ties to the UK but have never been asked for any of them.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by halfmoon
Just be honest and consistent. If you refer to her as a 'friend', just remember that they could call her and ask her who you are. If she then refers to you as a 'boyfriend', you have just lied to Immigration.
I'm not so sure about this... i've said friend before to the POE and then he responded is it your boyfriend and I said yes - i'm not sure I would've opened with it though. It hasn't been a problem but it is more likely to be and he is also my friend after all!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

If I were a POE officer, I would find the idea of someone taking the trouble to go through Dublin much more suspicious than having a girlfriend in the US.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:10 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

I visited my girlfriend oni the VWP about 4 times before we broke up. No problems, was only ever taken to secondary when I first entered on my L1. Really unlikely to be a problem although as you know, there's always a risk.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Hey again, I'm feeling better about it all now. I'm only going for 6 days and I'll have my return ticket, A letter from work among other things such as payslips and mobile phone bill. I'm connecting via Dublin because It's cheaper and I can get my connecting flight from my local airport down the road. I'll be telling them I'm on holiday which I am and that I'm staying with friends which I am.
I'll be sure to let you know how I got on or whether I had to holiday alone in Dublin for a week!
Thanks,
Dan
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hey again, I'm feeling better about it all now. I'm only going for 6 days and I'll have my return ticket, A letter from work among other things such as payslips and mobile phone bill. I'm connecting via Dublin because It's cheaper and I can get my connecting flight from my local airport down the road. I'll be telling them I'm on holiday which I am and that I'm staying with friends which I am.
I'll be sure to let you know how I got on or whether I had to holiday alone in Dublin for a week!
Thanks,
Dan
I think you are too over concerned. The chance of you getting turned away is slim to nearly non existent unless your anxiety gets the best of you and you start sounding like a blubbering idiot. You have nothing in your past that should worry you such as an overstay and I think you will find the POE not too bad but just wants to make sure you intend to leave.