Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting fiancee...worried about getting through the immigration line.

Visiting fiancee...worried about getting through the immigration line.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Mint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to all
Default Re: Visiting fiancee...worried about getting through the immigration line.

Originally Posted by Rete
Why do you have to use the word "fiancee"??????

Girlfriend, boyfriend, friend, works just as well.

After reading a bit more of your subsequent posts, it would appear thatyou are no longer in school, not working, apparently being supported by your parents and have little, or nothing, to show that you are not an immigration risk. An application for a temp job in Canada won't cut it. Don't know what else to suggest but if you fly through Dublin, Ireland, you will be examined before getting on the plane and then won't lose your ticket since you can pay to reschedule it.
As far as I'm aware, the Dublin and Shannon pre-flight immigration process only applies if you're travelling to the East Coast US, primarily New York or Boston
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting fiancee...worried about getting through the immigration line.

Originally Posted by raining_at_sunset
Hi everyone,
I live in England and proposed to my fiancee last summer. I going over to visit her in March under the visa waiver program but I am really worried about going through the immigration line because of my status. I'm worried that when they ask what I'm there for and I say 'visiting my fiancee' that alarm bells are going to go off in their head and they're going to think I'm going to stay there illegally. When I went there last summer they seemed slightly uneasy about me having a girlfriend in America...but thankfully they didn't have a problem with it and let me through.
When my fiancee came to visit me in England last spring she had so much trouble getting in. The immigration officer seemed certain she was not here for a visit and she basicly got detained, questioned about everything to do with us (I was interviewed too). Thankfully she was let in but because of this I am so worried about visiting the states. Are they likely to think something fishy is going on because we're engaged? Is there anything I can bring with me to prove that I'll be going back? I'm currently on job seekers allowance at the moment and so I wouldn't be able to prove that I have a job to come back to.

Sorry if this isn't really the right place for it, I'm just worried about the whole scenario and just need to know if I'm worrying over nothing or if I could be sent back. I can't face the thought of already not seeing my fiancee for 7 months...but to face a 10 hour trip and then be questioned and turned away breaks my heart. We don't plan to get married for another couple of years because of how much the visa requirments have changed with all the saving up we have to do.
To put your mind at ease I visited my 'Fiancee' (now wife) in USA whilst my K1 Visa application was beeing processed. I stayed for 2months. I know the immigration officers can appear intimidating but it's their job to screen people, I used to get sooooo nervous especially after my first visit here to USA!

Just make sure you have your proof of return flight and just tell the truth. You say you aren't planning on getting married for a couple of years? You may want to consider that it takes anywhere from 6-8 months to obtain your K1 Visa. As soon as I received mine I came back to USA and got married by a justice of the peace in our own home! I told a few 'white lies' to my family about the time limit for getting married on the K1 but we had our "Real" Wedding 6 months later.

Good Luck, don't worry
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raining_at_sunset
We don't plan to get married for another couple of years because of how much the visa requirments have changed with all the saving up we have to do.
On this point I ask you this - is money really stopping you from coming sooner?

I came here with hardly anything! Prior to my visits back and forth to USA (having quit a good job to come out for 2 months at a time) I worked nightshift in a grocery store and just got money where I can. I personally couldn't bare the thought of having to wait a long time (2 years or so) to get married. Money has been an issue for us and I don't know HOW I did it, but if you want to be with your loved one sooner then perhaps you can?

Fair play to you for waiting 7months to see her, don't know how you did that!

I definately took a leap of faith in dropping everything for the girl of my dreams, it's been tough but worth it!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Mint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mint Julep
As far as I'm aware, the Dublin and Shannon pre-flight immigration process only applies if you're travelling to the East Coast US, primarily New York or Boston
I dont know where this poster needs to go to but if there could be a problem with POE he/she might want to bear this in mind
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, US Immigration are based at these airports, logically that says they cant be picking and choosing where they can let people in, Immigration is Immigration. I would guess if they are there then thats your point of entry.

Perhaps someone who has gone through this route can clarify?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:13 am
Just Joined

sqdge is an unknown quantity at this point

Your nerves sound very similar to the nerves I had when I was in your position. I flew to the States four times as the fiance of my, now, wife. Each time I stayed as close to the 90 day limit as was possible, returned home for a couple of weeks and then flew out again. I landed in various airports around the country (there is no direct flight to Reno, NV), and each time I went through immigration I was bricking it.

Most of the time I was asked when I was getting married, and each time I told them, and they seemed to be happy with that.

Remember to just tell the truth. You don't intend to marry her while you are visiting on the Visa Waiver*, so there is no reason why they should think that you would.

Ben

*As it is, I did get married on a Visa Waiver, but that's another story for another thread.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:37 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by traceym
As far as I'm aware, US Immigration are based at these airports, logically that says they cant be picking and choosing where they can let people in, Immigration is Immigration. I would guess if they are there then thats your point of entry.

Perhaps someone who has gone through this route can clarify?
I've never heard where Shannon or Dublin are only valid depending on your final destination. I don't know why that would make a bit of difference.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm well they offer either immigration or immigration and customs (see WIKI entry below). I suspect that the only reason that the only reason it might apply to East Cost is because that's primarily where the airlines based here fly to. Surely though, once you've landed in the US, then any further inter-continental flight you wouldn't be checked by immigration anyway?

The U.S. and Ireland entered into a preinspection arrangement in 1986.[3] In Dublin Airport, only immigration checks are performed, with customs and agriculture inspections still done on arrival in the U.S. — therefore passengers from Dublin must still land at international terminals. Full preclearance services are available at Shannon Airport, although not to Aer Lingus passengers, as the airline has opted out of using the facilities until Terminal 2 is open in Dublin. This will be followed by preclearance facilities at Dublin Airport that will be available when terminal 2, which is currently under construction, opens in 2010. Both airports will have full CBP facilities, which will allow passengers arriving in the U.S. to leave airports upon landing without further inspection.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sqdge

Remember to just tell the truth. You don't intend to marry her while you are visiting on the Visa Waiver*, so there is no reason why they should think that you would.

Ben

*As it is, I did get married on a Visa Waiver, but that's another story for another thread.
Totally legal to marry under VWP. Disappearing into the MidWest after said marriage not so ok!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Get anything you can from your home to prove you have something to return for, be it letter from family, appointment for a job interview.

Proving that you are going to be able to look after yourself in the USA might be a problem if they ask. $300 isnt enough to support yourself for 8 weeks. Get a letter from your fiancee or her parents if they can and are willing to give you some spending money. Credit Cards are a good one too. Also copies of your return flight itinary and any hotel reciepts so they can see you have a place to stay while your in the USA.

Generally dont share info your not asked for. You dont need to tell them you have a fiancee. You can tell them your on vacation, staying with a friend you met on a trip before/in England.

Keep your cool at the POE, anwser truthfully, never lie. If they find out you have a fiancee you can tell them the truth, that you plan to wait a few years to save up money and apply for a visa to marry.

Good luck!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TracyTN
I've never heard where Shannon or Dublin are only valid depending on your final destination. I don't know why that would make a bit of difference.
I just thought it was an arrangement to ease the immigration lines in that part of the US due to the mass amount of traffic from Ireland to the East Coast, I personally have only travelled to Boston from Shannon, although I think I went to Boston from London Gatwick once and went through US immigration there too ! It was more of an observation than a statement of fact, but while we're on the subject, mindful of the recent Wiki supplied outlining the situation, I'm wondering if anyone here has gone further than the East Coast from Ireland or London and gone through immigration at those points ..

Last edited by Mint Julep; Jan 25th 2010 at 11:11 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

sqdge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Totally legal to marry under VWP. Disappearing into the MidWest after said marriage not so ok!
It's strange how marrying under VWP is fine, yet it feels like some under-handed criminal activity: "I didn't mean to do it, officer, it was an accident".
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:19 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

I just thought it was an arrangement to ease the immigration lines in that part of the US due to the mass amount of traffic from Ireland to the East Coast, I personally have only travelled to Boston from Shannon, although I think I went to Boston from London Gatwick once and went through US immigration there too ! It was more of an observation than a statement of fact, but while we're on the subject, mindful of the recent Wiki supplied outlining the situation, I'm wondering if anyone here has gone further than the East Coast from Ireland or London and gone through immigration at those points ..
Interesting. I suppose it's possible - I just can't see, though, how they'd manage it. So what, you're only allowed to book travel through those airports if your final destination is the East Coast? That seems odd. But I guess stranger things have happened!

I read a few POE reviews of Dublin on another site - only one mentioned their final destination which was JFK. I'll see what I can dig up otherwise.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:47 am
Instigator of the Post

Ok I just heard from someone on another site that the flights were originally limited to 4 US airports until the "open skies" agreement - which he thought was effective sometime in 2007 .

Last edited by TracyTN; Jan 26th 2010 at 2:03 am.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Ok I just heard from someone on another site that the flights were originally limited to 4 US airports until the "open skies" agreement - which he thought was effective sometime in 2007 .
Thanks for that Tracy, yes as my trip to Boston was in 2002 this makes sense. so as I understand it now, one can travel anywhere to the US and pass through immigration control at Shannon or Dublin, but not with Aer Lingus until Terminal 2 is opened sometime in 2010

Last edited by Mint Julep; Jan 26th 2010 at 2:34 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.