Reload this Page >

Visitation While Applying for a Spousal Visa

Wikiposts

Visitation While Applying for a Spousal Visa

Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

jj_oceans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitation While Applying for a Spousal Visa

I am a USA citizen, and my wife is a UK citizen. We have been married for two years and for the last year we have lived together in the UK. I am now back in the USA having taken a teaching job here. In 06 while my wife was here on a visitor’s visa and we applied for a spousal visa. We had to abandon this application however, do to lack of funds (they insisted that we deposit $30000 in a USA bank account). This year we applied again from the UK, and my wife is currently waiting for her interview date in London. My question is, while my wife waits for her interview, do you think she would be allowed to come here to the States to visit me? Would they let her in, or be worried she would not return to the UK? We don’t want to pay for a ticket only to have her be turned away at the airport.

Thanks for the help,

jj
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitation While Applying for a Spousal Visa

I would think it's like any other trip, but they may looker closer at her, so she'd have to take evidence that she intends to leave.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jj_oceans
... (they insisted that we deposit $30000 in a USA bank account)...
Who is "they"? Having money in the bank is *not* a requirement that I've ever heard of... and I've been reading about immigration for almost 10 years! It's a shame you didn't get a second opinion.

Ian
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Who is "they"? Having money in the bank is *not* a requirement that I've ever heard of... and I've been reading about immigration for almost 10 years! It's a shame you didn't get a second opinion.

Ian
Well the guy had an attitude that's for sure. Anyway, we were new to it all so I quit a great teachiung jiob and moved with my wife to Scotland. Now we are trying it again from there, although I am in America just now working, while my wife remains in the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well the guy had an attitude that's for sure. Anyway, we were new to it all so I quit a great teachiung jiob and moved with my wife to Scotland. Now we are trying it again from there, although I am in America just now working, while my wife remains in the UK.
Did you file the I-130 in London, or the US?
Hope Scotland was fun!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did you file the I-130 in London, or the US?
Hope Scotland was fun!
We went out of London this time. We've now been married over two years, I am here in the USA teaching, and my wife is just finishing up her teacher training in the UK. We are both middle aged, educated, normal people really. I just can't understand why there is such a huge hassle. We filed three months ago, and she is still waiting for her packet. That's why we're considering a wee visit if nothing is cleared up by Christmas, but like I said we can't really afford to buy her a ticket, if she’s going to be prevented from visiting once she arrives in the States.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We went out of London this time. We've now been married over two years, I am here in the USA teaching, and my wife is just finishing up her teacher training in the UK. We are both middle aged, educated, normal people really. I just can't understand why there is such a huge hassle. We filed three months ago, and she is still waiting for her packet. That's why we're considering a wee visit if nothing is cleared up by Christmas, but like I said we can't really afford to buy her a ticket, if she’s going to be prevented from visiting once she arrives in the States.
Her entry is like any other's really.. she needs to show that she has a good reason to go home (UK) IF she is asked about it. If she is conversant in what her immigration plans are, she should be able to make it clear that she wouldn't mess it up by immigrating illegally on her VISIT when she will be getting an Immigrant Visa shortly (much faster route to the Green Card).

If she has past or current issues that make you think she'd have a hard time, she can fly through Dublin and clear (or not) US Immigration there. Shorter ride home, then.

It will be another couple of months (typical timelines) before she gets her visa appointment. She can be on top of getting all of her visa documents together now to keep things on track.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:40 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=meauxna;5238155]Her entry is like any other's really.. she needs to show that she has a good reason to go home (UK) IF she is asked about it. If she is conversant in what her immigration plans are, she should be able to make it clear that she wouldn't mess it up by immigrating illegally on her VISIT when she will be getting an Immigrant Visa shortly (much faster route to the Green Card).

I know I think positive; this will give her time to sort things out. I guess I am just frustrated. When I went to live in the UK they let me right in, no job or anything. Dublin is a brilliant idea, I'll suggest that to her.

Cheers,
jj
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:19 am

When I went to live in the UK they let me right in, no job or anything.
I'm sure you'll be happy to know that they've sorted that now.. it's not that easy anymore.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm sure you'll be happy to know that they've sorted that now.. it's not that easy anymore.
what did they sort out?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:31 am

what did they sort out?
Spousal immigration into the UK is a bit more difficult now vs a couple/few years ago.

Faster than the US, but...

Anyway, there is some info in this thread that should be useful to you both: http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...read.php?t=824

Best wishes--have a great school year! (I'm feeling fall just around the corner, boohoo)